• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA wants to fly from HOU to MEX and SouthAmerica

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flop, so this is about CAL learning what I learned at 20years old? Get it in writing?
Show me the contract/agreement that CAL has with Houston to only fly international out of IAH.
You can't bc it doesn't exist-
The city has a vote bc we need new governmental facilities, and it is going to hear UAL's complaint. It really does sound like you are complaining about capitalism though- again- CAL needed the longer runways and space to hub and spoke- not swa- we shouldn't be bound by your business plan.

As for the blogs:

"Blogging: Never Before Have So Many People With So Little To Say Said So Much To So Few"

A "demotivational" poster from despair.com/blogging.html

Never confuse the Internet with reality- its rarely...very rarely, a representative sample. In this case it's clear that blog has been hijacked by CAL employees at the urging of your mgmt. Houston is one of the original SWA triangle cities- we are a Texas airline, and the people of Houston are smart, do know the history of swa vs legacies, and will definitely choose us more and more as we give them more options- they choose us a lot now, and we provide a relative few options compares to unical-

Here is the written agreement: Name of the airports! One is international, the other is not. The absence of a customs and immigration facility ought to be good enough for you. What happens when someday Hobby isn't personal and cheap enough for SWA and you move to Galveston? Do we eventually need to have customs and immigration at every airport in South Texas so you can continue to elude competition?

You deal with a city, you're dealing with a moving target. I'm not sure there was any other sort of assurance CAL could have gotten than there be a need for someone like SWA to have to go through the building permit process. And it may be all we need?

I see something different going on with your business. I think it bodes well for us long term that SWA had to go to Hobby to try to fly international. I'd be more afraid if you went toe to toe with us at IAH. You're starting to weaken. Additionally, I think you are setting yourself up for some serious backlash (obviously, the city of Houston isn't above backlash. They are hammering UAL for moving CAL hdqtrs) When you fall short on the 10,000 jobs assurance (pbly WAY short), get ready to hear about it! Every Houstonian connected to CAL (and there are a lot of them) understand that GK is only pushing this now to exploit the CAL/UAL merger. There will be resentment over that. Another thing you might not be aware of, a lot of Texans would like to have seen high speed rail all those years ago and they are aware SWA was part of that being torpedoed. You went after it vehemently, just like you go after cities like Dallas and Houston on their agreements with other airlines and you call it a business model. I think it will backfire. This deal with Hobby, might be the tipping point.

Here is the written agreement: Name of the airports! One is international, the other is not.

If that's all you've got, then prepare for SWA international flights out of HOU. You've already lost if that's your only "agreement."

It does say Intercontinental - you're right flop-
Is this the official announcement that CAL-UAL will now be ceasing all North American flights to and from the "INTERCONTINENTAL AIRPORT HOUSTON"? - after all IAH to CUN is INTRAcontinental and ought to be done out of Hobby

If that's all you've got, then prepare for SWA international flights out of HOU. You've already lost if that's your only "agreement."

It does say Intercontinental - you're right flop-
Is this the official announcement that CAL-UAL will now be ceasing all North American flights to and from the "INTERCONTINENTAL AIRPORT HOUSTON"? - after all IAH to CUN is INTRAcontinental and ought to be done out of Hobby

Hey look guys, I'm not 100% sure what it is. Obviously there is something to it. Or you would just build it. Sorry. I know you want it handed to you.

Hey look guys, I'm not 100% sure what it is. Obviously there is something to it.

Nah, I don't think there is. I think UAL just wants to whine and cry to try to get their way because they can't compete on a level playing field. They're making up this rhetoric to get the employees (and maybe the local public) behind them, but they have no facts to back them up when it comes right down to it. There is no agreement.

I know you want it handed to you.

Nope. If there actually was an agreement, I would support you on this one. People should stick to their agreements. But there isn't one, so the free market should rule the day.

Nah, I don't think there is. I think UAL just wants to whine and cry to try to get their way because they can't compete on a level playing field.

Nope. If there actually was an agreement, I would support you on this one. People should stick to their agreements. But there isn't one, so the free market should rule the day.

You know, there is no bond restriction because CAL/UAL has done such a remarkable job of funding this airport. IAH is extremely well run. Hobby is going to function like a parasite to IAH. Most Houstonians realize this.

The poll is currently 67% in favor of NOT allowing SWA to build the terminal. I bet Loren Steffy (Chronicle business writer who hates UAL) regrets putting that up!

Again, chance we stop you? 1 in 3. Chance we go to Hobby to match you? maybe 1 in 10. But I sure hope we do. Personally, if Jeff wanted a real cheap side letter outta me because he wanted to put you down like AA did Legend at Love, I would sign it in a heartbeat...
http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2012/04/southwest-praises-united-criticizes.html
Here is another article that very plainly reads that UAL is not trying to stop Southwest. Our position is the flights need to be done from IAH.

Last edited:
Personally, if Jeff wanted a real cheap side letter outta me because he wanted to put you down like AA did Legend at Love, I would sign it in a heartbeat...

I like the way you think, the more we hire the better for me. If we are lucky we might get UAL to give us over 1000 aircraft of RJs

PS I like how you compare Southwest to Legend and the new BK UAL to the old powerhouse AA. I bet you think you could play MLB if you wanted to ,but rather fly for UAL.

PSS I can't believe what I am reading, that a UAL pilot is willing to take a pay cut on there next contract. I think Jeff will be more than willing to give you your wish.

Last edited:
PSS I can't believe what I am reading, that a UAL pilot is willing to take a pay cut on there next contract.

You're not reading it right. I'm thinking 10 or so 757s in a Hobby sub-base.

AA at Love taking out Legend is a perfect example. Get the dirty work done, then go back to normal...

Latest resources

Back