Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA vs. FedEx- Who has better SCHEDULES?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bwi F/O lines

I was perusing the BWI F/O lines the other day and saw some that have 20 days off a month and pay 87 trips or so. Most lines have about 16 days off a month. Reserve is 16 days on a month.

Just passing on some info

Slug

Re: bwi F/O lines

Slug said:
Reserve is 16 days on a month.

Finally off reserve after 16 months but I thought it was always 15 days on a month. In a 31 day month 16 days off, in a 30 day month 15. That little 16 day episode a couple months ago just covered the FO shortage until the new class got online.

good news

Cool, I just though I got away with something on my July reserve line. Sure enough, back to 15 days on. 3-4 days and a 3-day.

slug

Slug,

Slightly off topic, but I noticed you have time in both the A320 and the 737NG for Southwest. Which do you prefer and why? With all of the pilots gunning for the LCCs nowadays (and most are either flying or looking at both types), I love to find out pilots' preferences when they have time in both...

Thanks

(Otherwise, please return to the schedules topic)

Here you go-

Sounds like you really want an example of a real schedule. One caveat, I’ve only been here at Southwest since Feb so it is by no means a ‘best’ schedule, but here’s mine for July.

It’s,
4 on, 3 off,
3 on, 6 off,
3 on, 4 off,
4 reserve on, 4 off.

That works out to be 13 days on and 18 days off. Remember, with trip trades, I can easily manipulate what I’ve got to EXACTLY what I want (Like something more commuter friendly). And that’s as a 5 month Probationary FO. Now, if I could get rid of commuting, this would be a PERFECT job!

Between the two companies, there isn’t a ‘wrong’ choice, just a better choice for you and your family. Just don’t look back (If faced with the choice). SWA was the best place for me, and quite frankly, couldn’t be happier with the decision.

Good Luck-

BD32

PM me if you have any specific questions.

blank lines

Sometimes known as vacation relief lines. They comprise the trips that were pulled from line holders due to training, vacation, etc.

Approx 8% (I think) of the lines are bid at the end of the month (between the 21st and 23rd) instead of during the normal bidding cycle (7th - 12th of the month). During the original bid cycle one of your options is bidding for blank lines (where you're gambling you'll get a better deal than during the original bidding cycle). It's often a smart move for junior guys if you can tolerate not knowing next month's sched until the 23rd or 24th.

B4Me

Blank line

After all the awarded monthly lines come out on the 12th of the month there are bits and pieces of lines that go back into a "pot". These trips that go back into the pot do so because the line holder had a conflict with that trip. It may have been a vacation drop, training drop, mil leave drop, etc....... Scheduling takes all these extra trips and constructs monthly lines out of them. These lines come out on the 21st or so and the pilots who got blank lines on the 12th bid on their actual schedule. The blank lines are finalized around the 24th.

Hope this helps

Slug

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back