• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SWPA Pilot

I just watched the SWA TV show for the first time. I came to three conclusions;

1. Gate agents aren't paid enough.

2. I'm all for pilots carrying guns as FFDO. It is probably a good idea that gate agents don't pack heat.

3. It makes cargo flying look like a great option.

SWPA Pilot said:
3. It makes cargo flying look like a great option.

Yep...its great looking like your in your 60's when you are actually in your 40's.

Here's 3 more...

5. There's not much difference between Greyhound passengers and Southwest's

6. Descending below 18,000 feet at less than 220 knots outside Baltimore can actually back up traffic and annoy many folks

7. Trying to sound just a tad too happy and cool on the radio doesn't always cover up the fact you just flew 8 boring legs in one day

SWA/FO said:
Yep...its great looking like your in your 60's when you are actually in your 40's.

Let's see ... at UPS I'll work less than 50 days and block less than 150 hours this YEAR ... and I'll compare W-2's with you any day. If I feel so inclined I can change aircraft whenever I wish (Oops ... sorry), I can bid any number of International pairings (Oops ... sorry), or I can fly nothing but Honolulu and drink beer and chase bikinis on those 24-96 hour layovers (Oops ... sorry). Meanwhile, competition is bearing down on you from all sides, your fuel hedges are waning, your CEO says pay cuts in the future are a real possibility (greater productivity in the interim) ... well, I guess I'm just a little confused about your hostile attitude toward the cargo boys there fella? SWA appears (to an outsider at least) to have a few challenges ahead.

BBB

Big Beer Belly said:
I can bid any number of International pairings (Oops ... sorry), or I can fly nothing but Honolulu and drink beer and chase bikinis on those 24-96 hour layovers
BBB

These type of layovers directly contribute to the advanced age of my liver, thats for sure.

Let's see ... at UPS I'll work less than 50 days and block less than 150 hours this YEAR ... and I'll compare W-2's with you any day.
12 year CA UPS $190/hr
12 year CA SWA $190/hr
Profit sharing UPS None
Profit sharing SWA yes

Not saying UPS is a bad place to be but you can probably hold off on the W2 contest. Both are great places to work, they are entirely different kinds of flying....altogether... (insert line here)
It all depends on what you feel you would enjoy more.

:beer:
Lets see....... did I mention MONEY in the ABOVE POST? NO. I mentioned that flying freight is hard on your body.... SEE, I KNOW BECAUSE I USED TO FLY FREIGHT. So lets review...flying freight is hard on your body.

Is that the comeback: "I may look 20 years older then I am, but I make more money then you and I drink beer in Maui???" Nothing like being away from your family for 96 hours..

The money is good if you can wake up in time and get to the store while they are still open to spend some of it.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back