SWA TV show

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
...my dad can kick your dad's @ss...

...And this post is moronic. Thanks to the SWA bros for the jumpseats. I like my job. Hope you dig yours. See you at the bar!

Big Beer Belly said:
Let's see ... at UPS I'll work less than 50 days and block less than 150 hours this YEAR ... and I'll compare W-2's with you any day. If I feel so inclined I can change aircraft whenever I wish (Oops ... sorry), I can bid any number of International pairings (Oops ... sorry), or I can fly nothing but Honolulu and drink beer and chase bikinis on those 24-96 hour layovers (Oops ... sorry). Meanwhile, competition is bearing down on you from all sides, your fuel hedges are waning, your CEO says pay cuts in the future are a real possibility (greater productivity in the interim) ... well, I guess I'm just a little confused about your hostile attitude toward the cargo boys there fella? SWA appears (to an outsider at least) to have a few challenges ahead.

BBB

Sounds good. It also sounds like you are wide open to getting your chops busted like the rest of have someday. It might not be a bad idea to simply assume and plan that your good deal will eventually fall apart.

I agree with Mugs...if there's a large pecentage of folks out there enjoying a fairly free ride....well....enjoy it while it lasts!!

Futurepizzaguy
Here's 3 more...

5. There's not much difference between Greyhound passengers and Southwest's

6. Descending below 18,000 feet at less than 220 knots outside
Baltimore can actually back up traffic and annoy many folks

7. Trying to sound just a tad too happy and cool on the radio doesn't always cover up the fact you just flew 8 boring legs in one day

Big Beer Belly

Let's see ... at UPS I'll work less than 50 days and block less than 150 hours this YEAR ... and I'll compare W-2's with you any day. If I feel so inclined I can change aircraft whenever I wish (Oops ... sorry), I can bid any number of International pairings (Oops ... sorry), or I can fly nothing but Honolulu and drink beer and chase bikinis on those 24-96 hour layovers (Oops ... sorry). Meanwhile, competition is bearing down on you from all sides, your fuel hedges are waning, your CEO says pay cuts in the future are a real possibility (greater productivity in the interim) ... well, I guess I'm just a little confused about your hostile attitude toward the cargo boys there fella? SWA appears (to an outsider at least) to have a few challenges ahead.

BBB

These two comments are sallow to say the least, not everyone fits in a round peg. Take a thread and go negative, ya’ll (Futurepizzaguy, Big Beer Belly) must work for the NY Times. BBB, I can see what’s important to you…. Mine is bigger than yours… Grow up!!

Big Beer Belly said:
UPS has a 975 hour minimum annual guarantee ... what's SWA's? UPS has an 11% B plan ... how about SWA's? UPS has a 1% A plan ... how about SWA's? Oh forgot to mention it's been 8 years since our last contract was signed ... that might have something to do with this equation (let's compare again after our TA).

You see ... at SWA you have no choice ... reserve or line holders both fly their butts off. Not so at UPS and FedEx ... reserves are generally about 4 days of work per month. Even international line holders have cake schedules and awesome layovers compared to the average line slug at SWA. Would you rather have 24-96 hours off in Hong Kong, Singapore, Beijing, Cologne, Paris, London, Sydney, Vienna ... or 10-14 hours off in Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, or Oklahoma City?

BBB

I remember some UAL, AA, DAL pilots bragging like this at one time.

And they seemed to think they were untouchable.

None of us are immune to the savages of the airline industry. I repeat, none of us.

What about those two dumb broads they had to shag down in airport bar to tell them that their husbands got booked and left with the kids on a flight.

I think if I was married to that crazy lady, I would have been on a plane going anywhere that was away from her.

Yep...its great looking like your in your 60's when you are actually in your 40's.

Looking 60 isn't so bad, you look the same age as the legacy F/A's so it helps if you are trying to pick them up.

SWAdude said:
I remember some UAL, AA, DAL pilots bragging like this at one time.

And they seemed to think they were untouchable.

None of us are immune to the savages of the airline industry. I repeat, none of us.

A lot of you SWA guys have a real inferiority complex ... probably due to years of ribbing by the legacy guys for lowering the wage bar I assume. Interesting how it's OK for some SWA guys to dog the lowly freight guys ... and then, god forbid, one of them speaks up to correct the whacked stereotypes that are apparently out there ... and share what schedule 30-40% of UPS pilots live and that's somehow being arrogant ... lol. This thread started with an attack on the UPS/FedEx lifestyle and the death march we apparently undergo each day and how we age so much faster than the god-like passenger pilots (lol) ... When I explain that not all UPS pilots fit SWA/FO's stereotypical view of the freight life, now I'm bragging ... oh for christ's sake ...

To the young guys out there ... do your homework on the pilot biz yourself, and don't listen to know-it-all blowhards who profess to have a clue about all pilot jobs out there. With all that is going on in the industry right now, it's no wonder many are so insecure (SWA/FO).

BBB

FlyinHigh737 said:
Take a thread and go negative, ya’ll (Futurepizzaguy, Big Beer Belly) must work for the NY Times. BBB, I can see what’s important to you…. Mine is bigger than yours… Grow up!![/SIZE][/FONT]

Oh lord ... another SWA guy with selective memory. It's really not that hard FlyinHigh737 ... simply scroll your mouse to the top and you'll see post #2 (by SWA/FO) ... that would be the one immediately following the original post ... is where the thread "went negative". Do all you SWA guys lack basic situational awareness, or am I just blessed with the unfortunate few posting here?

You SWA guys do love those homosexual references to size, don't you? Must be about as much fun as stripping and looking at each other in the cockpit ... whatever happened to those elite SWA male pilots with such a unique sense of humor to get naked and stare at each other while flying? Gawd ... that sounds like fun ... NOT!! lol :D

BBB

Am I the only one??

Forgive me for posting on the Majors board for I am a lowly regional pilot. Most in my position would jump at the chance to work at any of your airlines (SWA, UPS, or FDX). I assume most pilots at these companies can tell all of us several great reasons they enjoy their job and a couple of things they wish could improve.
Let me clue all combatants of this thread in. If you work for SWA, UPS, or FDX there are several thousand pilots out there that would embrace the opportunity to even interview at your company. You all have great jobs.
When I read such absolute nonsense in some of these posts I wonder if you need acceptance from a bunch of goofy guys like myself to make yourselves feel better. If you do...here it is.
SWA would be an amazing place to work.
UPS would be an amazing place to work.
FDX would be an amazing place to work.
Do we all feel better now?? I hope so.
Have a great weekend and fly safe. No matter if you fly boxes or white trash (and everything in between).

Big Beer Belly said:
UPS has a 975 hour minimum annual guarantee ...
Dude, it sounds like you're trying to convince yourself. Not gonna work for the rest of us. Flying night freight sucks. Flying across the pond, after the first year, sucks.

Sitting out a sort, sucks. Working for managament that hates (hates!) you sucks. Looking like you're 65 when you're 45 sucks.

Upgrade at UPS sucks. How many years to make CA?

Face it, you have an ok job. Nothing I'd write home about.

Oh yeah, one last thing. Doesn't it suck when you get asked by every non-pilot, shortly after they find out you work for UPS, "So, do you want to eventually work for an airline?"

I know it happens, don't deny it.

You sound like someone who's pretty full of himself. Offering to compare W-2s on a message board is pretty pompous. Plus, you might be very surprised at who is making more than you.

But I do admit, that television show isn't doing you Southwest guys any favors. Why in the world do you keep renewing it?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back