Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ivauir

SNIKT!
Now that the pool is beginning to drain I thought it might be useful to start a thread regarding what a new hire should expect in DAL. Specifically I would like to know:
1) How long is the DAL portion of the training?
2) What is the schedule like? How much academics, sim and flight time?
3) How long is IOE and where is it accomplished?
4) What portions are our spouses invited to?
5) Where is the best place to find a malted adult beverage?

Thanks!:D

Just finished a three day reserve block and logged on to see if the new hire class was anywhere near getting to OAK. Since I'm one of the last to finish the training you're asking about, I'll try to give you an idea of what to expect.

I was in the July 15th class....last class of 2002. We started on Monday with two days of wearing suits. Our wives/husbands were with us these first two days. Day one was all together with benefit briefings, money discussions, and company plans/policies. It was such a whirlwind of discussions, I'm glad my wife was there to help remember what was said. Day two, the wives go on a tour of the HQ facilities and the training department while we began ground school. (Picked up books, ordered flight bags, ties, luggage, etc.) We had our party on the evening of day one. Traditionally, the class before yours will sponsor your party and join you. Since they had all long since departed, we were on our own. (As I'm sure the Jan 6th class was). Day three, the significant others fly home while we put away the suits, roll up the sleeves, and get down to business.

Ground school takes four weeks. You'll spend your weekends either practicing your flows on the procedural trainer or jumpseating around the system watching others do the job. (I got home to California for one night during my entire six weeks in DAL) You need to complete at least four legs and preferably six legs in the jumpseat before beginning the Sims. After completing ground school, our class was divided up into two groups. The first group started right into the Sims. Group two got one week off. The Sims take about two weeks to complete. The sim check is the second to last one you'll fly with a LOFT as the final sim ride. No one in my class failed the sim check. Though it is involved and can be difficult, they do a great job of getting you ready for the check ride. The LOFT is the first time you really feel like you're doing the job. My LOFT consisted of two legs: ABQ-PHX followed by PHX-LAX. We had weather to contend with, a TCAS alert, along with filling in the log, radio calls, STARS, and of course, landing with all engines running.

After training is complete, IOE is scheduled at a base of your choice. My class was scattered throughout the system. It consists of flying a minimum number of hours. Can't remember the exact amount, but it can be done in 4-5 days. I had a two day followed by a three day with two different check airmen. Most of my classmates had only one check airmen for a 4 day. Once IOE is complete, you'll get two or three days off before starting a "hard line". If you complete IOE before the month is over, you'll be assigned a flight schedule probably at the same base as you did your IOE to finish the month. Once everyone in your class is through IOE, the next full month will be a hard line. (Set schedule assigned by scheduling at your assigned base.....probably OAK).

My experience.....I finished my IOE on August 29th. My class didn't finish until mid September. So I had a hard line in both September and October. Since I chose OAK as my domicile, I did my IOE and all subsequent flying here at OAK. Others in my class did their IOEs in BWI, MDW, MCO, DAL, HOU, and PHX. However, once IOE is over, everyone ended up out here in sunny California. While doing your IOE, the training department will pay for your hotel where ever you are assigned. Upon completion of IOE and assignment to your base, you pick up the tab for a crash pad/hotel if needed. We've all been sitting reserve waiting patiently for the next class to push us up into the ranks of hard line flyers. Biggest advantage of a hard line is trip trading which allows you to change your monthly schedule into something you'll really like. On reserve, you don't have that option.

All in all, the first six months seems to have flown by....no pun intended. I pinch myself every day I step on board the jet just to see if I'm awake. This job is the greatest and only get's better with time. Congrats to all of you waiting in the Pool. Rest assured, the wait is well worth it. Good luck to those in class now and headed there soon. I look forward to seeing you in OAK soon. I'm hoping I'll hold a hard line this summer. If you all head out west, my dream should come true.

Hope this helps. Didn't mean to carry on this long, but it's easy to get excited about the greatest job going!!!!!

Great Post

ATKTK,

Great Post! Thanks for the insight and the time you took to put it together.

With all the classes scheduled so far, looks like you'll get your hard line soon.

Can't wait to be the cause of you moving up another number.

Late march early April - time (and LL) will tell!

Seeya

Thanks ATKTK

Thanks for the info. Buddy of mine was in the same class with very similar information. He was in the 2d sim group, so he had a chance to come home for week and prep for the ensuing storm.

Thanks again!
Heat

Latest resources

Back