• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA...Too Prepared???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They want someone who does not study for an interview but is more concerned about the NEXT guy getting the job instead of you.

OK, let me blow this theory out of the water. When I was leaving active duty AF, a squadronmate and I were trying to get hired at the same Guard unit. I knew that there was room for both of us; they were moving from ORD to Scott AFB.
In the interview, I was asked if they only had one to take, who would it be - him or me. I said to take him. I found out later that he had been asked the same question, but told them to take him. He didn't get hired at the Guard unit; I did.
Where's that backstabbing squadronmate now? At Southwest. I never applied there; my goal in life is to doze for dollars as a relief FO on the 777 or 747. United was a much better fit for me. Of course I've been furloughed for almost five years while he's been working at Southwest.
As for the squadronmate, I doubt that he changed for his Southwest interview.

this is one of the most constructive posts I have read. TurboS7...I think you have hit the nail in the head. SWA prides themselves around their warrior spirit, servant heart, and fun-luving attitude. Confident, yet humble. Takes the job seriously but not themselves. If they get the sense that you don't fit that mold...it won't work out. They are also the only airline to give most, if not all, a chance...no one else does that...goes back to humbleness. Look no further than Herb...that's how he is...and thats what he built. Like it was mentioned earlier...they interview way more than will ever hire. 40-70 slots per month after interviewing 200++. They get what they want, even if it means sacrificing a few good ones. Those that were sacrificed might be back and get hired the second, third, fourth, or even fifth time. Knowing all of this before the interview helps...it sure relaxed me knowing I might not get it...so just have fun...smile...what do you have to loose?

this is one of the most constructive posts I have read. TurboS7...I think you have hit the nail in the head. SWA prides themselves around their warrior spirit, servant heart, and fun-luving attitude. Confident, yet humble. Takes the job seriously but not themselves. If they get the sense that you don't fit that mold...it won't work out. They are also the only airline to give most, if not all, a chance...no one else does that...goes back to humbleness. Look no further than Herb...that's how he is...and thats what he built. Like it was mentioned earlier...they interview way more than will ever hire. 40-70 slots per month after interviewing 200++. They get what they want, even if it means sacrificing a few good ones. Those that were sacrificed might be back and get hired the second, third, fourth, or even fifth time. Knowing all of this before the interview helps...it sure relaxed me knowing I might not get it...so just have fun...smile...what do you have to loose?

Puddlejumper, I have defended SWA's requirement of a 737 rating to get hired against the perception that it is PFT. So please don't take this wrong, but I think the the type rating requirement proves you to be wrong. You see, they automatically disqualify a tremendous amount of applicants with their type rating requirement; applicants who might have tremendous amounts of that "servant heart". Or, you could look at it like this, the 737 type rating requirement is a "prequalifier". If that is the case, then I have to ask: How does possessing a 737 type rating help the PD indentify those who possess a "warrior spirit, a servant heart, and a fun luving attitude"?

I tend to think that SWA's criteria for hiring is somewhat more simple. They, like EVERY OTHER employer are looking for employees who are easily managed.

I, being somewhat independent, don't appear to fit the mold. LOL.

Still,
:)

Or, you could look at it like this, the 737 type rating requirement is a "prequalifier". If that is the case, then I have to ask: How does possessing a 737 type rating help the PD indentify those who possess a "warrior spirit, a servant heart, and a fun luving attitude"?

)

I do like the fact that SWA does hire "qualified" pilots. Unlike other airlines that might hire low time family or interns, SWA does stick to the requirements. Why the 737? Why not? Every SWA pilot is "captain qualified" when they get hired. I dont think any other airline can say that. ( meaning total time, PIC time, turbine time and typed in aircraft). At least you cant say that they are unfairly hiring the minorities.

As far as requiring the type, it probably shows that you are commited to them. Remember, it wasnt too long ago that guys would leave SWA for UAL, AA, DAL.

It' s all bunch of bs do you all realize that?
Too many of us fliyng in the US

next question will be; how many hole has your right sock today?? and how aRE YOU GOING TO FIX THE SITUATION??

Last edited:
As for the squadronmate, I doubt that he changed for his Southwest interview.

Good post, but I must disagree. I used to think good acting was very hard to find among pilots, but a "good" military officer is very practiced at it. He was just outsmarted and failed the integrity/good bud test. Many of us military officer types fail it. (Not me!)

If you can act well enough in the interview you will make the FA's and gate agents feel at ease.

Albie,

A part of this acting biz is looking a little surprised at the questions. Did you know the SWA interviewers like to twist the questions so none of your practiced stories fit very well? Or they will say something like, "do you have a more recent story". Everyone, get the basic story telling thing down and have several twists and turns you can go down. But don't memorize a story.

Then they get to see you squirm as you ask for a moment to think of another one. This is what they want to see. How fast do you think on your feet and REACT to a question (uncomfortable situation?) you did not expect.

Where do I collect my interview prep fee??

Then there is the other theory that the hiring process is predisposed to hire only certain people before the interviewing starts. Minus the folks who really goof up the interview. Put more precisely, the pilot board has a preference for certain candidates and will only hire 30% whether the interviewers pass 30% or 100% of those interviewed

The 30% thing is pretty consistent. Try to interview with a bunch of sluggos.

I also believe in the 3rd interview try group having some preference. But I have no scientific proof of that. Could be your experience between the first and third try finally puts you in the very competitive category.

Last edited:
Puddlejumper, I have defended SWA's requirement of a 737 rating to get hired against the perception that it is PFT. So please don't take this wrong, but I think the the type rating requirement proves you to be wrong. You see, they automatically disqualify a tremendous amount of applicants with their type rating requirement; applicants who might have tremendous amounts of that "servant heart". Or, you could look at it like this, the 737 type rating requirement is a "prequalifier". If that is the case, then I have to ask: How does possessing a 737 type rating help the PD indentify those who possess a "warrior spirit, a servant heart, and a fun luving attitude"?

I tend to think that SWA's criteria for hiring is somewhat more simple. They, like EVERY OTHER employer are looking for employees who are easily managed.

I, being somewhat independent, don't appear to fit the mold. LOL.

Still,
:)

The type rating...you know SWA has that requirement for insurance purposes...Part of the deal is they need to hire 737 typed pilots...by doing this they will save a bunch of money on their insurance. I am not 100% sure about this but I believe it has been documented to say that. Overall the applicant and new hire, in turn, is probably more experienced than average. CAL has hired guys without a single hour of PIC turbine. Has that made Cal unsafer? no...does it matter? no...but I bet to insurance companies and attorneys it does. By having this requirement SWA has gone past that and in turn saved money. So if an applicant already has the type, well that means they are ready now...and thats what they need. The day they run out of 737 type rated applicants then the scene might change...but I doubt it. Also, they have turned down a gargantuous amount of 737 type rated pilots...so this also disapproves what you are saying. If that was the case then they would not hire or interview a single applicant that did not have a type. They are hiring guys without types you know...in fact, turning down guys with types over guys without types. Having a type means nothing...except in their eyes you are ready now. Look at it like this...right now it is taking about 3 months from day one of the pool to class date. That is plenty of time to get a type if hired. It's a choice we make...if a pilot goes into the interview with a type, then maybe it does show dedication to SWA...but it's a choice this pilot made...not SWA. If you have the goods they will still hire you. It's more competitive to get the interview without the type...but that's the choice each person individually makes...not SWA.

It' s all bunch of bs do you all realize that?
Too many of us fliyng in the US

next question will be; how many hole has your right sock today?? and how aRE YOU GOING TO FIX THE SITUATION??

I don't know, how many hole has my right sock?

FI.com Crack addict of the day award goes to, Shindler, for making zero sense on two consecutive posts. Even better, both were edited.

Latest resources

Back