• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA to codeshare with WestJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wonder if it would drive Southwest to go for TV as well?

If we where just starting out, I'd say yes. But can you imagine the cost in putting a TV in the seat back of 527 737s? 527 x 137 seats=72,199 tvs, a lot of wiring and a lot of friggin' money. (I know, I know some of those are -500s with less seats...)

Just can't see it in this cost environment. SWA is looking at wifi in all the planes though. A lot cheaper and probably more desired than tvs.

Last edited:
If we where just starting out, I'd say yes. But can you imagine the cost in putting a TV in the seat back of 527 737s? 527 x 137 seats=72,199 tvs, a lot of wiring and a lot of friggin' money. (I know, I know some of those are -500s with less seats...)

Just can't see it in this cost environment. SWA is looking at wifi in all the planes though. A lot cheaper and probably more desired than tvs.

Not going to happen, This would require SW to Pay JB to put in the Equipment...They'll have their own plan or it want happen...If they want Live TV that bad, they'll buy it from JB...in this market "EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE", don't fool yourself and think otherwise!

KBB

i think it is a great move... i would think there is a south american carrier that would fit as well like copa , or someone that flies down to rio. pure genius...a way of getting more feed without using 50 seaters...

Just put a plug in each armrest. If somebody wants to watch, listen, or do something, they can bring it themselves.

Why not just grow SWA service into Canada? Tanker Turd's concerns aside, it's no big deal flying there. If my airline can figure it out, I'm sure yours can. Don't you need new lucrative markets for all of those new planes?

Not going to happen, This would require SW to Pay JB to put in the Equipment...They'll have their own plan or it want happen...If they want Live TV that bad, they'll buy it from JB...in this market "EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE", don't fool yourself and think otherwise!

KBB

I think you were talking about the inflight internet. No worries, we are using these guys. Row44

Why not just grow SWA service into Canada? Tanker Turd's concerns aside, it's no big deal flying there. If my airline can figure it out, I'm sure yours can. Don't you need new lucrative markets for all of those new planes?

it has nothing to do with flying into Canada...it has to do with $$$. Are you kidding me? SWA just got access to a whole Canadian network...new revenue stream and it cost them nothing but negotiating with another carrier. Canada has some very high landing fees...Wesjet is already up there killing Air Canada...why compete against them. $0 overhead costs...endless opportunities. This is not the market to start toying with something they have no experience with. They just grew their network tremendously and it costs them pennies compared to what it will bring in. I say brilliant.

I think you were talking about the inflight internet. No worries, we are using these guys. Row44

I'm familiar with Row 44 just saying that SW is not going to pay JB for Live TV, they'll just buy the company(Live TV) from JB if they want Live TV.

I'd personally rather have Internet, just because I can look at whatever I want including TV over the internet, I'd much rather be wathing FLight Info so I can see General Lee hit the 50k Post mark anyday now ;)

I have no desire to be confined to watching the minimal channels that the TV service offers, If they offered all the DirectTV's channels, that would be different! Nothing like having the option of watching Oxygen or the Oprah Network or the Lifetime movie (Thanks), kind of like going to the Doctors office and the only magizines laying around are People, McCalls, and Glamour....Just makes my sit there seem that much longer!

Later, KBB

Latest resources

Back