SWA to codeshare with WestJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Red Baron

Want to Get Away - Eh? Southwest Airlines to Offer International Service via Pact With Canadian Carrier WestJet, Service Scheduled for Late 2009

Tuesday July 8, 8:30 am ET Southwest Airlines and WestJet Take First Step Toward Codeshare Partnership, Opening a New Gateway Between United States and Canada
DALLAS, July 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Southwest Airlines today announced its intention to build a codeshare partnership with Canadian carrier WestJet. The two airlines have completed the first step in creating a relationship that will eventually allow the carriers to offer Customers a seamless travel experience to a wide array of destinations. This initial agreement puts the two airlines on a path toward bringing more low fares and a better Customer experience across the U.S./Canadian border. The airlines plan to announce codeshare flight schedules and additional features regarding the partnership by late 2009. Certain details of the codeshare and elements of the partnership are subject to approvals by both the U.S. and Canadian governments.
[SIZE=-2][/SIZE]

"A company's dedication to Culture and Customer Service are very high on our priority list when considering a relationship of any kind," said Southwest Airlines Chairman and CEO Gary Kelly. "We are confident that we've found a perfect fit with WestJet, and we are excited to work toward opening our expansive U.S. network to include Canadian destinations."
WestJet was founded in 1996 as a western Canadian regional carrier with three aircraft flying to five cities. Today, WestJet is Canada's leading high-value, low-fare airline, offering scheduled service to 49 destinations in Canada, the United States, Mexico, and the Caribbean. The airline operates a fleet of 75 Boeing Next-Generation 737-series aircraft.
"This is a defining moment for WestJet. Clearly, we are delivering on our strategic plan with this announcement today. It marks an important step forward for our guests and their ability to fly to more destinations in the United States conveniently and cost effectively," said WestJet President and CEO Sean Durfy. "When you examine our network in Canada and Southwest's network in the United States, and the potential to significantly improve both organization's market access, this is indeed a great day."
The airlines are not ready to announce routes, schedules, or fares at this point, but the agreement will eventually allow each carrier to check both Customers and baggage to a passenger's final destination. The codeshare partnership is intended to provide convenient, viable connecting schedules. In addition, southwest.com will soon become a distribution channel for WestJet's existing Canadian and transborder flights, providing Customers the opportunity to purchase WestJet's existing flights via southwest.com (this option will be online before actual connecting codeshare flights are available for purchase). Other items that are on the list of things to consider include an integration of each carrier's frequent flier program, ground handling opportunities, and a possible extension of the carriers' cargo products.
"We are quickly moving forward with our plans to enter the international market with WestJet, an airline partner that we hold in high esteem," Kelly said. "We have a very talented group of Employees who will continue to work diligently over the next year to develop and deliver a superior international codeshare product into the marketplace." "It is an honour to partner with one of the great airline success stories of the world," Durfy said. "The effort put forth by Gary Kelly and his management team to negotiate this relationship is most appreciated and I look forward to building a great bond with Southwest. Together we will demonstrate that low-cost, high-value airlines represent the future success of air travel."

Last edited:
Until SWA hires more military guys with international experience, going outside the lower 48 isn't going to happen. It's a whole different world. Baby steps...first autopilot, then RNP, then maybe....maybe international.

Clown,
You need to quit eating that $hit the AF keeps feeding you. It is very clear you have zero experience in the civilian realm and would likely require additional training if hired at an air carrier. Was it hard to learn how to be a boom operator?

Autopilot!? Dat button is VooDoo! Blak majik I tell you. Invisible hands workin dem controls- I don't think so.

Until SWA hires more military guys with international experience, going outside the lower 48 isn't going to happen.

Wow, you're right. Military pilots are the only ones with any international flying experience. No civilian aircraft is capable of flying those long distances! :rolleyes:

Until SWA hires more military guys with international experience, going outside the lower 48 isn't going to happen. It's a whole different world. Baby steps...first autopilot, then RNP, then maybe....maybe international.

If you military guys are so great, hows come you get more GNE's per flight hour than anyone else?

Ooops, I guess I had better stop flying international. Man, just when I figured out how to do those really tough position reports with the HF radios.

I don't mean to bash AF guys, I usually have a lot of respect for them. But here is a great example of AF mindset:

Our ops make no mention of the wing light when it comes to lights for takeoff and landing. However the FAA recommends all exterior lights be on for takeoff and landing, and most folks use them. Well, flying with a former AF guy the other day, I get chewed out for turning the wing lights on. The reasoning - because clear permission is not stated in our procedures, we are PROHIBITED (!!!!) from ever using them for takeoff and landing. The fact that there is no clear prohibition against them, and the FAA recommends it, plays no role. You have to have clear, stated permission in the manual for any and everything you do. This mindset is typical of most AF guys I have flown with.

Sorry, not to turn this into a bash fest, but an AF guy brought it up.

nice flame.......now get back to making coffee & copies.

Latest resources

Back