• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA, The Street's Love Fades

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Longhorn, I gotcha and your right. It stops right here but I do have an excuse you would understand. I have to spend Christmas with 8 aggies and one of them is my wife who I deal with on a daily basis. Please forgive me for venting a little and having fun.

Right, but the condition of the job offer is for that person to go complete the type before actually starting work at SWA. So it is PFT>

FedEx and UPS require the FE written to be done prior to starting training also. They may even require it to get called for interview. Since no interview = no job, I suppose that if PFT also?

Mayo Clinic requires its MD's to be graduates of medical school. PFT?

If you shell out 10,000 for a 73 type, and get hired at SWA at age 35, you have 25 years of service life. Depending on what Kit Darby/internet/flightinfo discussion you read, your earnings at SWA with salary, stock options, etc, may exceed 3-5 million dollars.

Senior Capt salary is 150-200K. :D

So 25 years you are paying $400 a year for that type, or $1.10 a day, till age 60. That is the price of Sundae at McDonalds.

Someone please tell me why this is so hard. :confused: Where can I pay buck and a dime a day and receive a secure airline job, with 3-5 million dollars career earnings? Where do I sign up?

PFT? Call it what you want. This is not pay 50,000 to log 1900 SIC time at Gulfstream.

I and many others do NOT consider this PFT.

Hey Tool,

I interviewed without the type. The type was aquired before attending class. Day 1 at SWA I had full medical bennies, they paid for the hotel while I was in training and paid me, even before my training was completed.

Sounds like your happy were you are at.
That is all people want in life is to be happy. Sounds like your idea of happiness is different from ours.

Don't you mean the finest men willing to pay for their own training. Did you or did you not have to purchase a type rating to work at SWA?

Maybe what I meant to say was: the finest Aviators in the business that know a good thing when they see it. Making 80K in your first year will overcome ones sadness about 7500 bucks.

Last edited:
MRYFLY: "Finest Aviators in the business??? Don't you mean the finest men willing to pay for their own training. Did you or did you not have to purchase a type rating to work at SWA?"

My "good friend", YOU (& me) paid for my training in the Air Force. Is that OK with you? Maybe I should foot the bill on my own? So now, I have a job offer with SWA, is that ok, since I have the 737 type courtesy of the American tax payer? Maybe I should give back the $ amount vs. the time served in defense of this great country, so that you can spout off on this forum. I think that I have paid in terms of time, sweat, blood & tears for that type...

?? did you pay for training for ANY of your ratings ?? Money or time, it's all the same...

Last edited:
I think Kelly is wrong here. The Management at the Legacies bitch slapped the pilots so hard that they will never fear them.

Gotta disagree, bro. Right now you have the pilots of a legacy carrier ( the two going though a merger) whose pilots are working to negotiate a combined contract.

While negotiations are not going well, the pilots are demanding some of their money back in these negotiations. They claim that their Billions in givebacks saved the company and made the merger possible. Now with some profits, they want their fair share.

In fact, these same pilots are planning some informational picketing in November in PHL, CLT and PHX.

On the recent AA show on CNBC, interviewed at the AA TUL maintenance facility, the leader of the TWU mechanics said that he wants to do all he can to fill the company's pockets with money...so that in 2008, when the TWU contract is amendable, he can put his hand in that pocket, and take out his fair share....

Oh yes...as the profits roll in....they are gonna want some payback....

Tejas

Finest Aviators in the business??? Don't you mean the finest men willing to pay for their own training. Did you or did you not have to purchase a type rating to work at SWA?
Actually not one pilot at SWA has ever had to purchase a type rating to fly there. I actually know of a couple that SWA got them a type before they became pilots at SWA. All SWA asks is that one have a 737 type when they come to work here....how one gets it is the individuals choice.

I never did "buy" a type rating....mine was given to me at my old "legacy carrier"...thank you very much....

Tejas

I'll be the first to say that PFT sux, but keep in mind what the Legacies would pay during your first year... 25-35K. Wasn't that subsidizing things a bit?

At Southwest, yeah you'll have to suck it up for the Type but you'll have the opportunity to make 60+ your first year. That difference will pay for several Type Ratings.

It is the PFT at the regional level that really chaps my a$$.

Latest resources

Back