SWA TA Passes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree.
For me the biggest improvement in TA2 was the change in RJ codeshare language. Because I used to work for a RJ carrier that took flying away from mainline. My company was increasingly serving markets with RJs that previously were flown by A320s and DC-9s.

But you got yours right? Funny how many of "no RJ" guys here at SWA got their jobs at SWA because the weak scope at majors led to their upgrade/pic in RJ's.

I agree with what you say though - just busting your chops. Section one much better written in TA2. Worth the delay in pay raise for me.

Only if we get a side letter to negate the part of the new contract that prohibits RJ flying unless SWAPA pilots fly it.

That's great news! I'm sure there would be plenty of kids high fiving over getting to fly around an rj with SW colors for farmed out contract work. RJs flown by other than mainline pilots are a huge part of why this job is not what it used to be.

I can't speak for everyone, but we aren't "No RJ" guys. We are "If we get RJs, we wanna fly them ourselves" guys.

RJs flown by other than mainline pilots are a huge part of why this job is not what it used to be.

Very true. But a legacy I was involved with wanted no part of "Small Jet" flying. They gave it away and chose to farm it out.

We are trying to think ahead and protecting our jobs. Only time will tell if we did it right.

I agree.
For me the biggest improvement in TA2 was the change in RJ codeshare language. Because I used to work for a RJ carrier that took flying away from mainline. My company was increasingly serving markets with RJs that previously were flown by A320s and DC-9s.

Let me offer a minor correction that had major consequences. The RJ carriers didn't take anything. It was foolishly given to them by mainline pilots. The fault of all this outsourcing lies squarely on the shoulders of mainline pilots, specifically DAL. Comair was the U.S. launch customer for the CRJ and the DAL MEC allowed it.

But you got yours right? Funny how many of "no RJ" guys here at SWA got their jobs at SWA because the weak scope at majors led to their upgrade/pic in RJ's.

I agree with what you say though - just busting your chops.

I think often the RJ Guys are now "no RJ" guys because they saw directly how the outsourcing helped their 'job' but hurt their career.

No previous RJ experience (caveat),

No single pilot would've stopped what happened when DAL or whatever mainline group first had the opportunity to alter the cycle of "big" vs "small" IMHO. No one is to blame, businesses evolve, careers do also.

Some of the absolutely best pilots I fly with at SWA are previous RJ pilots from every company out there....I'm very grateful for their training, experience and most importantly their experience.

For an ex-RJ pilot who is now mainline to object to their company placing restrictions on future RJ growth is completely reasonable but certainly not hypocritical. RJ flying is here to stay...those positions will be out there as long as we have mainline. Putting all pilots at a carrier with RJ flying on a single seniority list is the evolution of the business model....this would've happened in the case of the Lynx folks with F9 if that deal had gone through...I see this next evolution, if it had occurred, as a good thing.

There are enough reasons to rag on each other but accusing former RJ pilots of hypocrisy for expressing their views about the current RJ/mainline debate doesn't honestly acknowledge the obvious lessons learned through the years and the impact those earlier decisions made have had on the longterm health of careers at mainline. Current and former RJ pilots are great pilots and deserve great praise for slugging it out they way they have (I was military and have the utmost respect for their professional progression...not sure I would've stuck with it the way they have!) and the hope is that decisions made now will better the careers for all but that is a long term view and doesn't negate the short-term impact of how RJ flying is developing today...BTW, they are the only folks hiring today (except for Allegiant I believe).

Latest resources

Back