• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA TA fails

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Short version: 8 % of the hard lines get to be Lance Captains. So they are FO's checked out as CPT's. They can pick up or get assigned CPT trips. This way you have great senority on your bid for X-mas vacation ect. then you get rid of your remaining trips and pick up Cpt trips.
The company wanted to change it to 3.2%. So if we don't grow a lot of our pilots would have been hurt by this. And we never got a great reason for the draw down. It is like Mom and Dad saying "because I said so."
Like the UFLY Mike. Some A$$ in Dallas had an Axe to grind.
ELITT is a Line improvement program where you can do a multitude of things like trade a 4 day for a 3 day and a turn. Or trade a 3 day to a two day, or take a fri, sat, sun and move it to a sun, mon, tues ect. The company wanted to restrict a lot of our freedom on this area.

Code share was also a biggie.

Most guys could care less about the 2% raise it was mostly these items.

Last edited:
I voted yes. I think most people, yes/no's, were surprised that it was voted down. I'm afraid the razor thin margin didn't help us. Either way, i think both sides wanted it to pass or fail by a larger margin. This wasn't about scope or codeshare. Unfortunately, it was about the lance captain program. Did people vote no for other reasons, of course. If they had just grandfathered the lance captain program i think we all agree it would have passed. What are we going to give up for this program? Nothing??? hmmmm i don't think so. The company is making much less money than when these terms were negotiated. Do i think the company will allow us to cherry pick certain issues...i hope so. If i was on the other side, hell no - lets start over. I'm disappointed that the info the NC got was possibly not the best, how else do you explain negotiating a contract that divided the pilot group. Just like 65, nobody guaranteed the lance captain program would be around when i got hired (uhhh....lance program what's that - i've got a job at SWA - sweeeet - my only thoughts).
I will fully support this vote. finger pointing lasts about a day and it is back to work for all of us. The No's have it, we will see what they can accomplish back at the drawing board

Management just wants 50% +1.

OTOH, pilots just need 50% -1 to get management to sweeten the pot.

What is the historical pass rate at SWAPA?

A TA with such a low accpetance rate is a management contract... they will tweak to get just enough to accept it... don't look for sweeping changes....

The Scope issue will probably remain....

"funny and sad" whether that is the case it is the truth, and to think anything else would be false

"mil/civil" what does that explain exactly, that i'm a senior FO at OUR company?

What is the new reality exactly? Has SWA management screwed you at some point. Have they ever (in the past) took advantage of you? I was on reserve for quite a long time, i can count on one hand the number of times i was really screwed on a reserve deal. This company has given me 3 times as many good deals as bad ones. Yup, i clear my board and pick up all the time, i was ok with scheduling "tweaks"

"You will learn...eventually" buddy, we both will learn - unless you know exactly what is going to happen in the future - please enlighten us oh great whine one

What is the historical pass rate at SWAPA?

A TA with such a low accpetance rate is a management contract... they will tweak to get just enough to accept it... don't look for sweeping changes....

The Scope issue will probably remain....

I don't think it can be a tweak. When it fails the first time out, all the yes voters take a second look--and need more convincing. They realize that they're in a position to ask for more. That is why management pushes so hard for the first vote. Now, it isn't just convincing another 50 pilots to vote yes, it is convincing those who voted yes to vote yes again, plus the 50. Management is behind the power curve and pilots could get significantly more than just a little tweak, in my opinion. Close or not close, no is no.

Latest resources

Back