SWA/SWAPA hiring numbers..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks Snoopy

Always in the mood for encouragement in this job market. Does anyone know if they use a conversion for the military time to put us on par with the 121 time? I know about the .3/flight for the taxi time but is there an additional multiplier that maybe only the hiring department knows about?
I have the type and am waiting for the app window to open. I have heard that if you meet the hiring requirements you WILL get interviewed. That is really all I am asking for. The rest is obviously up to me but I am just concerned that I will never get the interview due to the large number of highly qualified applicants in this job market. Any further info welcome.

originally posted by bozt45
I have the type and am waiting for the app window to open. I have heard that if you meet the hiring requirements you WILL get interviewed.

That is old information I'm pretty sure (I don't work in the People department or even for SWA but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night and I have been in the pool for a while and absorbing info off flightinfo for too long).

It used to be that if you met the requirements to apply, SWA said they would interview you. Interview order went by when you applied with the caveat that they had two stacks, a typed and a not typed stack. They would exhaust the typed stack prior to calling non-typed guys.

What has changed? A while back they changed the wording on their hiring page to indicate that they were doing a competitive screen, presumably meaning that a guy with barely 1000 hours pic in a single turbine (think Caravan not Harrier, since Harrier would fall under the fighter rubric of you were good enough to fly by yourself in a complex, unforgiving machine) might not be as competitive as someone with 3000 hours in a heavy, multi-engine. But the fact is, SWA has some of the toughest, highest minimums of anyone out there. Most companies require 1000 pic, not 1000 turbine PIC, a big difference when you consider that you could have 1000 turbine SIC in the right seat of a B1900 and 1000 C172 PIC and meet the mins at most other careers (well, I guess for Fedex and JBlu you'd need that SIC time to be in something slightly larger to meet the 20,000 MGTW requirement).

So, now they say it is a competitive screen. But, most people seem to think that anyone already with their applications in, especially those with types, are gonna get the first calls. (if only because the new online app system might not be ready in time for pending interviews but probably because SWA is great about being fair and doing the right thing)

I wouldn't worry about your lack of total time or 121 time. Most airlines know that military time is equivalent to 121 for most intents and purposes. Besides, there isn't much you can do about your qualifications, they are what they are. You should be trying to stay current and stay in flying (obviously) because that will keep you the most competitive for wherever you get a chance to interview.

Back in the day, SWA would not even take updates to your application becase frankly, they didn't give a d a m n. No, actually it was beacuse either you met the minimums when you applied and thus had your place in line for an interview, or you didn't and they probably wrote you a nice letter asking you to reapply when you did. Since everyone got an interview eventually, no need to deal with all the paperwork and hassle that updating requires for them or the prospective applicant.

Short version, with a type and your times, if you get your application in when the window opens, it seems like you'd have a good chance of getting called as soon as anyone does that puts their app in at that time.

A type rating just for an interview is extremely daunting.

I personally know two individuals who paid for the type. One made it to the interview and didn't get hired. The other never got the call. Both of these individuals had various forms of finanical aid which made the type rating much more financially feasible, compared to the likes of me (who would use up the remainder of my available credit card).

I did go to the Air Inc conference in ATL in Jun. The HR lady who was there was very vague about the requirement for the type before the interview, basically saying there had not been any decision made.

I know that is not much to go on. I'm happy that they will be hiring, and I'd love to have the opportunity to work for SWA, but it is very scarry paying for that type when you are unemployed already, with little hope of even getting an interview.

gut check

sunburn - I feel you pain brother - but one of the reasons for the type requirement is that it seperates those who REALLY want to work at SWA and those that just want a job. If you go get the type and are otherwise competeive: you'll get interviewed. If SWA is really where you want to be you'll get here - there are many pilots that had to interview two or even three times to get hired here. It is a personal choice, and it is a lot of money to invest. But if you aren't willing to make that investment you have eliminated yourself.

Best of luck, I really think this place is worth it.

sunburn said:
A type rating just for an interview is extremely daunting.

II know that is not much to go on. I'm happy that they will be hiring, and I'd love to have the opportunity to work for SWA, but it is very scarry paying for that type when you are unemployed already, with little hope of even getting an interview.

I feel your pain, I payed for the type and didn't make it. I am in line to try again, so all is not lost, and the type did help me get the job I currently have.

I would like to add one thought to everyone, not specifically to sunburn. The requirement for a type rating isn't necessarily in place because SWA wanted people to ante up $7000 just for a seat at the table. I don't know for sure, but I think that the avenues to obtain a rating in the early seventies when this policy was instituted (if my source is correct) were very few. Simply put, either you had worked for another 737 carrier or had military T-43 time. SWA did not institute the policy with an eye towards people making money in the 737 type rating business. Bottom line, SWA doesn't care where you received the rating, or who payed for it; they just require that you have it.

I personally consider the rating mills to be to my advantage. Without them, I would never have had the ability to gain the rating (and apply for my dream employer), because I wasn't military (poor eyes) and didn't want to have to work for Vanguard to get a type.

regards,
enigma

Boz,
If SWA is going to hire 430 in 2004, then they will need (assuming 190 poolies), an additional 240 pilots. I believe you stand a really good chance of getting an interview, once they start again. Keep hanging in there.

Re: gut check

ivauir said:
If SWA is really where you want to be you'll get here - there are many pilots that had to interview two or even three times to get hired here.

ivauir, I know that your reply wasn't intended for me, but I still want to say, "thanks for the encouragement". I certainly hope that the third time's the charm. I wanted to work for SWA so bad that when I interviewed the first time, I didn't even have apps in with other carriers. If I was qualified for SWA, I was obviously qualified for most other major carriers, and I really would have rather stayed corporate if I couldn't get on with SWA. (I left corporate because the supervisor I worked for didn't appreciate may attempts to go be one of those, "pampered pansy airline jerks")

I hope that my desire to join you, shows well when I get the third chance.

Thanks again,
enigma

Has SWA ever shown any favour toward pilots that they have interviewed before? I have the type and interviewed back in 1992 I think. Then they changed the PIC requirement so I was unable to apply for a long time. Now I am very well qualified and on file. So I was just wondering if interviewing before gets me any brownie points.

Helmsmen

Has SWA ever shown any favour toward pilots that they have interviewed before

I don't think there are any stats on this and my best guess is they don't track it. This is good news in some ways because it means no one will prejudge you based on previous results. I think having interviewed before works in your favor because you will know what to expect and hopefully will be less nervous.

Stay the course enigma - it really is a great place to work.

I have said it before, but it seems to need repeating - get interview prep! You've already invest a ton of time and money in your career - get the coaching you need! I used Rob Beeks, but he is not the only one out there.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back