SWA/SWAPA hiring numbers..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why would SWA still keep the type??

I might be wrong on this, but I believe SWA gets an insurance break due to having 2 type rated pilots at the controls.

I might buy your theory that they want more "experienced" pilots from other airlines if SWA was in the business of retreading old tires. They aren't. There are enough qualified pilots with types who want to work at SWA that they don't have to draw from the furloughed guys.

(I am not saying that they don't hire furloughed guys, because they do, I am just saying that I don't think they will restructure their program to accomodate all of these folks.)

thebluto,
Yes, and while you are at it, start flying naked. Maybe that will give you the "121" experience that will push you over the edge.

From what I understand, Houman is right about the insurance break being a big part of the reason for the type. I'm not sure if flying naked does much for your chances though.

There are plenty of furloughed guys who have both the type and significant 121 time. I have over 11000 121 hours and the 737 type rating. And plenty of my buds from TWA have it as well. I am not in the pool but my app. is on file and I can't wait to resign my seniority from AA for a position at SWA. Assuming that I ever get an oppurtunity to interview.

Helmsmen

For whatever it is worth, there are 100's of guys/gals at United who made it as far as the 737-200 or 737-300 left seat (and therefore have a type) and who are now facing furlough, or are already on the street. If you combine these folks with the ones who went out and bought a type, you have to have well over a 1000 PLUS the 800 or so who already have an app on file. So, that means conservatively, that there are 1800 potential applicants waiting for an interview who already are typed. If you really wanted a job at SWA, it makes sense to spend the $$ and get a type. Meanwhile, consider JetBlue too!

Skirt

number crunching

When the app window does open, how will interview selection be made? Will the typed pile get first preference? Then, of those with types will they be chosen according to #hours and qualifications or will it be based on WHEN you got your app on file(ie first come, first serve)? I am hoping for the latter. As a military guy with a type rating I feel I have some good credentials but at only around 2000TT I fear that I will never be able to compete with others who are furloughed and/or on the street. Kind of makes me wonder if its an impossible goal with no other job prospects in this job market for many years to come. Have to consider my family. Tough decision. Any words of wisdom/advice welcome.

boz,

back "in the day," the rule was "first in, first called, with the typed guys ahead of the not-typed guys." If your app is already in the stack at SWA & you are typed, then I think it's safe to say that you will get called for an interview before most of the non-typed guys in the stack, and before they start calling guys who have yet to apply. SWA tends to be very fair & honor the "place in line" of people who are in their system already. What order the call will come I wouldn't speculate, but the number of apps in the stack with types isn't all that huge, so I would think it won't be too long after interviews start up again.

If you have the type but do NOT yet have your app in, then it's much more anybody's guess. However, SWA recognizes that 2000 hours of single seat tactical jet time (or teaching students in high performance jets) is not at all the same as 2000 hours in a 121 environment, and I think you can be confident that they will make great efforts to be fair to you & others in that sort of situation. (Also, I would highly doubt that they'll stop looking at 10 year/3000 hour military guys since there are "so many 8000 hour ex-121 pilots out there" -- they tend to like a diversity of pilot backgrounds.) If this is the boat you're in, by all means be READY to go when they start accepting applications...

One of the leading "killers" that I've heard about for promising, dedicated, qualified pilot applicants is getting "the call" for the interview & not being sufficiently prepared. Whether this involves an interview prep session (I highly recommend Rob Beeks) or simply home study & introspection (Chery Cage book etc) for you, it's a process that you do NOT want to rush & be doing all at the last minute. Too many guys have blown the interview by not preparing adequately for it. Don't wait until the call comes to start preparing!

all the best,

Snoopy

Latest resources

Back