SWA speed control in ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ha! You funny man.

I'm still flying. Bought an airplane with all of that money that you pretend I'm not making. Life is good!

What is it with Southwest and the V/S usage for descents? I jumpseat a lot on SW and could never figure out why guys use that thing so much, tweaking it all the time to try to get idle and airspeed. Level Change works great, try it sometime.

Step away from your addiction doughboy, you don't fly for an airline anymore. Whats the problem, too much free time at Dad's business?

Doughboy vs. Round Mound of Sound. To each their own.

Maybe a treadmill would have been a better purchase.

ATL definitely has their own way doing things that's for sure. The other day we were told to maintain 300 knots in the descent and to cross xyz at 12,000 and 250 knots. We comply with all instructions. When we slow for the crossing restriction per ATL Approach's instructions, we are asked what speed we are at and tell the controller 12 and 250. He then asks why we slowed from what he assigned us which was 300 knots. You can't make up your own set of procedures, keep it to yourself, and then have the nerve to get mad at a crew when they follow your instructions to the letter. If you want 300 knots, then say 300 knots until I tell you to slow and resume published speeds at xyz just like every other TRACON in the country.

No one else seems to have a problem.

Too funny . . . :D

Note to ATL newbies:

When ATL ATC assigns you a speed, they want that speed, not +/- 10 knots.

Hint to those who are unsure what the "Level Change" button is there for:

This is the moment you have been waiting for. . . . Try it, you'll like it!

:laugh:

In all fairness to the RSW guys, the airplane itself, coupled to the autopilot and auto throttles in a programmed VNAV descent cannot hold airspeed within 15 kts how can you expect them to do it. Ya got a fightin chance in the classic with no auto throttles.

Last edited:
ATL definitely has their own way doing things that's for sure. The other day we were told to maintain 300 knots in the descent and to cross xyz at 12,000 and 250 knots. We comply with all instructions. When we slow for the crossing restriction per ATL Approach's instructions, we are asked what speed we are at and tell the controller 12 and 250. He then asks why we slowed from what he assigned us which was 300 knots. You can't make up your own set of procedures, keep it to yourself, and then have the nerve to get mad at a crew when they follow your instructions to the letter. If you want 300 knots, then say 300 knots until I tell you to slow and resume published speeds at xyz just like every other TRACON in the country.

May be due to the fact the the controllers in ATL do not like SWA

Try changing your call sign to Delta, you will no longer have any complaints :)

May be due to the fact the the controllers in ATL do not like SWA

Try changing your call sign to Delta, you will no longer have any complaints :)

It works both ways, Delta doesn't have the best reputation in MDW. I used to see Delta planes swing way out and nearly take out the antennas on the Sears tower on a visual circle to 22L before they had the VNAV approach. Completely screwed up the traffic flow behind them.

Boys boys boys listen as a Delta Puke just follow what Tracon tells you to do. It's the busiest airport in the world because Tracon knows how to get us in there. With 29 years of flying there, it's just easier to follow the rules. Plus, I don't have a flight suit.

Latest resources

Back