SWA scheduling question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DougCorp-9

So I am going to lose my 737 captain seat and will probably bid 737 FO out of MDW or BWI. My question is what percentage in seat allows you to easily get premium trips and manipulate your schedule up to around 110-120 trips per month and still have a 15-17 days off. Also what hire date can hold the above percentage in those 2 bases. Is it really as easy as everyone says to tweak your schedules? Thanks.

I can answer a few of those questions. I don't have a list in front of me so the percentile stuff I don't know....sorry

Both mdw and Bwi are fairly junior. You'll probably have good seniority at both. We carry a very small amount of reserves so I feel safe in saying you'll have a good line. There are always trips in open time or people (lance captains giving away one and 2 days. Over the winter it's more of a challenge to get premium but not impossible. During the summer it is very easy no matter where you are on the list.

As for the bases if you are commuting I'd say mdw is better. There are a lot of crashpads all within easy walking distance. There are bars and places to eat very close by...even a place I think called Mr c's...:) may have been there a few times! Also decent hotel deals close by. In Bwi you either have to take the train or a cab to the pads. There are some good hotel deals though for commuters (La Quinta).

Sorry for the lack of info but I hope I helped a little bit...

Put simply an FO that can hold a line (not the bottom 8%) can fly 110-120 per month with IMHO ease. To do it with 17 days off at 110 is doable and with 15 120.

Seniority depends on, well it depends on seniority.

As an example, if you are a Captain hired in 1995 and your domicile is BWI or MDW your seniority is great.

If you are a 7-9 year SWA FO then BWI is pretty senior, it may be more senior than any other base except Orlando. I think Dallas, Baltimore, and Orlando are the most senior for this "slice" of the local seniority pie.

This will be an interesting aspect of the merger in my mind. I'm not a smart man but it seems like we will be saturating FO seniority on the East Coast.

-already MCO and BWI are senior on the FO side
-AAI guys live mostly on the Eastern Seaboard

SWA junior FO bases are OAK, LAS, PHX...

I know these are not specifics but I think the macro view of what will happen is easier to get seniority out west. Just $.02

Best of luck!

Last edited:
i have been bottom 20 percent in mco for a very long time and dont remember ever having trouble manipulating my schedule. 110 trips with 16 to 17 days off is easy. 120 trips with 15 to 16 days off is easy. premium time..not that easy. to get premium you need to be 50 percent or better. you can stil find it but it require some work. if you can live on 100 trips a month then you only need to work 12 days a month.

Last edited:
I can answer a few of those questions. I don't have a list in front of me so the percentile stuff I don't know....sorry

Both mdw and Bwi are fairly junior. You'll probably have good seniority at both. We carry a very small amount of reserves so I feel safe in saying you'll have a good line. There are always trips in open time or people (lance captains giving away one and 2 days. Over the winter it's more of a challenge to get premium but not impossible. During the summer it is very easy no matter where you are on the list.

As for the bases if you are commuting I'd say mdw is better. There are a lot of crashpads all within easy walking distance. There are bars and places to eat very close by...even a place I think called Mr c's...:) may have been there a few times! Also decent hotel deals close by. In Bwi you either have to take the train or a cab to the pads. There are some good hotel deals though for commuters (La Quinta).

Sorry for the lack of info but I hope I helped a little bit...

MDW, BWI junior what r u smoking. I have been here a little over 4 years and I am 60% in vegas, But I would be holding a blank in mdw and bottom line in bwi.

As for the 115-120 I would say 14 days off is reasonable.

yea he's the same guy who says oh you're a 69000, upgrading soon huh? how many years you been here?

Aptly named.

Latest resources

Back