• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Satellite Bases?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This sounds so familiar. What was that again? ... oh YEAH... Age 65!!

And it [AGE 65] happened....Unfortunately I see this in our future too. Looks like we could get the shaft twice in two years if we are not careful. So much for QOL living in domicile.

I wonder if the 300+ living in SAT and AUS know there will probably only be about 5 or 6 lines to fight over and the other 294 of them will have less to choose from in their commuter city?

I wonder if the 300+ living in SAT and AUS know there will probably only be about 5 or 6 lines to fight over and the other 294 of them will have less to choose from in their commuter city?

Answer no. Look on pprune they are the ones saying satellite bases will have NO effect on the number of lines at base. :) dont shoot the messenger, that is how they think.

Last edited:
Answer no. Look on pprune they are the ones saying satellite bases will have NO effect on the number of lines at base. :) dont shoot the messenger, that is how they think.

I just hope they come to a conclusin so RR will quit wasting ink in the RP.

You guys don't know what you're talking about.

True, there will be only a handful of lines in a "Satellite" city. Nobody will need to worry about being displaced there, as they will go senior. With only a handful of lines, it will not adversely effect the main domicile lines and if anything would likely improve most people's relative seniority due to more senior pilots flying out of the Sat. bases. This has been done before in the past successfully at other carriers. SWA is not inventing anything.

Since I don't know all the particulars of what the CO would offer I can't say if I would support Sat. bases or not, but even though you all obviously don't have a cross-country commute for the foreseeable future like our junior captains and F/O's, please keep an open mind before saying "SAT bases suck!". If done properly, it could be a win/win for everyone involved; company, commuters, and in-domicile types, too.

I know I didn't really answer your question, but "satellite basing" isn't something that's been done successfully at any large modern airline for an extended period of time, so the concept is still in it's infancy. When people mention "satellite basing," people have many ideas about what they think it is.

TWA, PanAm, and to a certain degree, Jetblue with MCO.

If you live in domicile you will see fewer choices and reduced QOL/pay, no matter your seniority.

Satellites benefit very few, it benefits the company, and should only be approved if the pilots get a payback for the opportunity to take it in the shorts over this issue.

Opinion. Do you have facts to back this claim up?

Well, if that is true, it would be only 5 or 6 less? What's the big deal with that?

Latest resources

Back