SWA Satellite Bases?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BigDave

I know the FA's at SWA are moving forwarder with satellite base negotiations , is it the same for the pilots?

Also are the pilots going through RNP training yet?

Thanks

As far as I know it is one satellite base (test run). The pilots have no such plans that I have heard of. We have stated the computer based training and book study portions of the RNP.

SWA is only up to training for autothrottles and VNAV, it turns on in Jan 09. Maybe.

Satellite bases for pilots? Nope, and I hope not.

Why? Almost 50% of the pilots commute, if your a commuter, a satellite base NOT where you live will destroy your QOL and pay by taking trips from the domicile, and leaves you with fewer choices, specifically commutable trips. If you live in domicile you will see fewer choices and reduced QOL/pay, no matter your seniority.

Satellites benefit very few, it benefits the company, and should only be approved if the pilots get a payback for the opportunity to take it in the shorts over this issue.

As far as I know it is one satellite base (test run). The pilots have no such plans that I have heard of. We have stated the computer based training and book study portions of the RNP.

really? what's your source of info for this "test run" ?

The view of satellite bases has many sides. One side is reducing hotel costs for the company allowing the employees to keep their wages from under pressure of the economy. COLA is affecting all work groups. The company may be able to reduce hotel costs and keep wages rising with COLA. Whether a worker commutes or not, the benefit to wages is shared.

If you do not commute and want to keep QOL above reducing costs in other areas, wages will eventually be under pressure as other costs rise pressuring lower wages across the board.

Another aspect with satellite bases is circumventing QOL at domicles and contractually agreed upon work rules at the master domiciles. Relief from work rules at the satellite bases could provide wage relief from the contract. Not a good thing for the negotiating capital already spent.

Where one aspect of satellite bases may be a benefit to wages at the company, QOL and work rule adjustments may be more a negative. I work in Midway and commute from a big commuter base. I would like to see more full fledged crew bases as opposed to mini bases. I see an actual crew base reducing hotel costs, however not giving up work rules and QOL issues.

In the long run cost pressures will change the landscape at SWA how it changes will be determined.

Can someone explain what is a satellite base?

The definition varies depending on who you talk to. Generally it's where you would have a "sub" base to your "real" base... for example, you'd be based in Chicago and bid on lines that all start and end in Kansas City (no commute necessary if you live in Kansas City). Sometimes your seniority in Chicago would allow you to hold a Kansas City based line, and sometimes not. Now what you do if a junior person gets "stuck" in a satellite base is up for discussion (like do they get deadhead pay, and a hotel?), and whether you have "base protection" from displacement in satellites makes things complicated. Add in the issue of covering sick calls at a satellite base and your definition can vary some more. Which brings up the question, if you're going to have reserves in a city and all this other "like-a-base-but-not-a-base" stuff, why not just make it a crew base?

I know I didn't really answer your question, but "satellite basing" isn't something that's been done successfully at any large modern airline for an extended period of time, so the concept is still in it's infancy. When people mention "satellite basing," people have many ideas about what they think it is.

There was a survey in the FA's bid packet for the month of Jan.

SATT. Bases are bad for all but a small % of our group. Great for the company though.

Thank you Alcatraz. That answers my question. Now I see why a satellite base sucks for most pilots.

Latest resources

Back