SWA rumors confirmed..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA/FO

I may have an explanation for the AA pilots comment. Apparently there has recently been some messages from AA Chief pilots to the line pilots to discontinue wearing American Flag Ties. Some of the AA pilots feel that it does not look professional. If you were in your SWA uniform at a full run he might have thought you were a AA pilot (God Forbid). I believe the uniforms are somewhat similar. Keep wearing your tie proudly and thank God each morning that you are in a SWA uniform and not an AA one.

Helmsmen

that must have been it..... our uniforms are similar with exception to the hat (optional at swa).

Uniform police

Sounds like your lucky the guy didn't tell you to put your hat on, too. I hate guys who think their the uniform police.

More good news from the financial sector

Market Report -- Story Stocks (LUV, JBLU)
September 10, 2003 10:58:00 AM ET

Ratings Briefing - LUV : Calling all patient, longer-term growth investors... calling all patient, longer-term growth investors. Morgan Stanley has a stock for you and it goes by the name of Southwest Airlines (LUV 18.14 +0.62). Some readers, naturally, may be asking, "don't you mean JetBlue (JBLU)?" Well, there is certainly a growth story there, and Morgan Stanley even said as much, but there is no misprint. In a research note today, Morgan Stanley upgraded LUV to Overweight from Equal Weight based on a belief that it will outperform as the company's growth potential becomes clearer.

Four key reasons drove the upgrade and they included: (1) a recognition that LUV is the fastest growing airline (in absolute terms) in the firm's coverage universe (2) a sense that LUV's growth rate may be understated (3) the fact that LUV still has the lowest costs in a commodity business and (4) a belief that the time has come to focus on the highest quality names in the industry given the recent outperformance of the most levered airline stocks.

One of the more compelling arguments for growth in the note is that LUV will add 76 jets to its fleet in 2004-05, which is more than the rest of the industry combined. The firm points out, too, that the fleet plan does not reflect potential growth opportunities from further downsizing by the majors. Therefore, Morgan Stanley believes LUV is in the early stages of a new cycle of growth and is predicting an earnings compounded annual growth rate for the company of 28% through 2008. The latter is similar to JBLU, yet LUV trades at a discount to the upstart carrier despite having the strongest balance sheet in the industry.

Morgan Stanley's one-year price target of $22 represents 25% upside from yesterday's closing level, but it feels its upgrade will play out over the next 12-18 months, and has urged that its price target and valuation work be viewed as indicative of stock price direction rather than in absolute terms given the leverage of the airline business model. To that end, it stressed that its call is not for deep value investors nor for the short-term trading-oriented crowd.

Ironically, LUV is now viewed as an established player in the airline industry and is certainly seen as the patriarch of discount operators. Such a perception implies that LUV is a plugger in terms of growth. That is a misconception, however, and Morgan Stanley has done an admirable job of bringing LUV's growth prospects to light. Briefing.com, for its part, noted in July that we would recommend Southwest as one of the few, true investment opportunities in the airline industry and concur with Morgan Stanley's upbeat assessment of LUV's prospects.-- Patrick J. O'Hare, Briefing.com

At AA, I guess it's more important to look professional than BE professional...

Maybe they think the more uptight and anal you are, the more professional you are...

Desperately trying to get out.TC

Therefore, Morgan Stanley believes LUV is in the early stages of a new cycle of growth and is predicting an earnings compounded annual growth rate for the company of 28% through 2008.

Reuters
Southwest seeks mediator in flight attendant talks
Wednesday September 10, 4:55 pm ET

CHICAGO, Sept 10 (Reuters) - Southwest Airlines (NYSE:LUV - News) said on Wednesday that it has asked the National Mediation Board to appoint a federal mediator to complete talks with the air carrier's 7,200 flight attendants.
The flight attendants are the last major union at Southwest with an open contract. The group, represented by the Transport Workers Union Local 556, is looking for better pay.

Southwest, the No. 6 U.S. air carrier, said it no longer appeared likely that it would be able to reach a new agreement without mediation. The two sides have been in negotiations for 16 months.

---And SWA needs mediation to resolve this?

Sounds like your lucky the guy didn't tell you to put your hat on, too. I hate guys who think their the uniform police.

Are you sure the guy that told you to take off the tie wasn't LXApilot? He has probably policed his way to DFW by now. ;)

Regards,
FlyWest

Hey TC;

Just got notified that I am interviewing at JetBlue on the 14th of October. If they hire me I am not ever going back. How are things going for you?

Duncan

Helmsmen said:
Hey TC;

Just got notified that I am interviewing at JetBlue on the 14th of October. If they hire me I am not ever going back. How are things going for you?

Duncan
Duncan:

Congrats! Keep us informed on your progress!

Mark

Latest resources

Back