• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Removes B737 Type Requirment

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In my que, the thread after this was Japan raises the retirement age to 67 (and if you didn't know, some years back, Canada dropped their retirement age altogether).

So, what does SWA dropping their long-time 737 type requirement and Japan raising their retirement age to 67 have in common???

In my que, the thread after this was Japan raises the retirement age to 67 (and if you didn't know, some years back, Canada dropped their retirement age altogether).

So, what does SWA dropping their long-time 737 type requirement and Japan raising their retirement age to 67 have in common???
The college is also becoming preferred at many places as the pool of well qualified applicants thins out.

EGADS! to be 33 and getting out of the Navy now instead of 1977 when everybody and their brother was a 3000 hour military pilot:eek:

RH: I am thinking about moving to Saigon.

The college is also becoming preferred at many places as the pool of well qualified applicants thins out.

EGADS! to be 33 and getting out of the Navy now instead of 1977 when everybody and their brother was a 3000 hour military pilot:eek:

I'm calling bullsh!t. Which major airlines have recently switched to making college preferred?

I'm sure the company doesn't want its internal memos posted publicly, but ....
....I don't care.

Found this on APC:

"The B737 Type Rating
As you all know, we have a very long history of requiring that Pilots aquire the B737 type rating prior to starting a new hire class. This has served us well over the years. After a very thorough review of the Southwest Airlines Pilot job description, we have decided to remove the B737 type rating requirement. This decision came after seriously considering that our pool of qualified applicants has dwindled over the years, initial training is more systems comprehensive than the old days, insurance is no longer an issue, and the fact that we are overlooking thousands of qualified pilots who exceed our requirements but do not possess the type rating.

Going forward, the B737 type rating will continue to have value as a desired skill, similar to a college degree or other specialized training. In other words, for those applicants who have a type rating, it will serve as another ?feather in the cap? during the selection process. All pilot applicants must still possess the Multi-Engine ATP rating. The proposed initial AQP training has made it much easier to administer a type rating during the initial training syllabus, and those Pilots who are hired without a B737 type rate will receive the rating prior to IOE."

....I don't care.

Found this on APC:

"The B737 Type Rating
As you all know, we have a very long history of requiring that Pilots aquire the B737 type rating prior to starting a new hire class. This has served us well over the years. After a very thorough review of the Southwest Airlines Pilot job description, we have decided to remove the B737 type rating requirement. This decision came after seriously considering that our pool of qualified applicants has dwindled over the years, initial training is more systems comprehensive than the old days, insurance is no longer an issue, and the fact that we are overlooking thousands of qualified pilots who exceed our requirements but do not possess the type rating.

Going forward, the B737 type rating will continue to have value as a desired skill, similar to a college degree or other specialized training. In other words, for those applicants who have a type rating, it will serve as another ?feather in the cap? during the selection process. All pilot applicants must still possess the Multi-Engine ATP rating. The proposed initial AQP training has made it much easier to administer a type rating during the initial training syllabus, and those Pilots who are hired without a B737 type rate will receive the rating prior to IOE."

So those of you in la la land can forgo getting your degree but good luck with that.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back