• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Poolies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For what it is worth just got back from training and spoke with the girls in the PD and they said that there is a good chance of classes at the end of the year. They are going to be doing the re-interview again to make sure there is no DUI's failed checkrides and that the poolies are current. This information is one week old. Good luck!

Wait a minute Tanker Clown and his almost Chief Pilot buddy disagree with this!
:laugh:

One thing I'm sure you're aware of or anyone treading water for that matter is to not put too much weight into some of the experts here. Info out of the PD is where I'd be putting my focus on. If they say possible hiring by years end then there is a fairly good chance it's gonna happen. All the chicken littles whose buddy of a buddy of a buddy that says no hiring till 2012 or later is IMO full of it. When I got hired we were told only 100-150'ish and they wound up hiring over 500 that year. Simple fact of the matter is..only the gods know. After 6 pages of doom and gloom it's nice to hear good news though so keep your floaties aired up and know that some day the towels are gonna start flying in!

SLC
:cool:

Good post Selfloading, I put more stock in what my 3 year old predicts about the airline industry than what I read on some of these threads.

If i got another dui last night it wont hurt my chances will it. I was driving doug home and blew a red light and got popped. He bailed me out tho

If i got another dui last night it wont hurt my chances will it. I was driving doug home and blew a red light and got popped. He bailed me out tho

Doug Parker?

No wonder he is not calling us furloughees back,
he out partying with you dude!
Gee thanks for distracting him!!!!!!

One thing I'm sure you're aware of or anyone treading water for that matter is to not put too much weight into some of the experts here. Info out of the PD is where I'd be putting my focus on. If they say possible hiring by years end then there is a fairly good chance it's gonna happen. All the chicken littles whose buddy of a buddy of a buddy that says no hiring till 2012 or later is IMO full of it. When I got hired we were told only 100-150'ish and they wound up hiring over 500 that year. Simple fact of the matter is..only the gods know. After 6 pages of doom and gloom it's nice to hear good news though so keep your floaties aired up and know that some day the towels are gonna start flying in!

SLC
:cool:

Yep, I hear ya and am fully aware, but thanks for the reminder just the same. ;) My comment was based not just on that post but on a variety of information from several different sources. All in all things are looking more positive for us poolies.

I have a question for any SWA Pilot that may be able to help me. As a "poolie" what are the forecasted retirement numbers looking forward at SWA when Age 65 starts setting in? If you can PM me, post it here, or tell my dumb A$$ where to look I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys!

Retirements: roughly based on age-
2012- 12
2013- 121
2014- 105
2015- 141
2016- 157
2017- 150
2018- 105
2019- 140
2020- 151
2021- 178
2022- 168
2023- 192
2024- 232
2025- 250
2026- 299
2027- 300
2028- 295
2029- 300
2030- 270

it's a mature company with a young pilot group-
good luck guys- remember - these guys only beat you to retirement if you don't medical out... Try not to stress---
:)

a handful have said they'll retire before getting too much into rnp- but not sure how accurate that is

Last edited:
Thanks waveflyer, just curious so I could compare projected attrition at my airline with that of SWA. Obviously this is the airline industry with too many variables to take into consideration. Trying to make the best educated long-term "guess." Thank you.

Where are you people getting the idea we are going to hire? The line totals are still down. I am moving backwards in my base after the CA displacements. I have intentionally been sitting reserve and they are using reserves very little. There aint squat in Daily Open and Extra-fly compared to what it was before the cuts. I talked to Carl at the union meeting last month and the possibility of furloughs is still on the table when we have the fall cutbacks take effect.

So what! They are VJA'ing and JA'ing in Vegas on the weekends. That is viewed as normal for this company. When they start involuntary JA'ing in all bases on most every day of the week then they will consider maybe running a class or two. Until then, they aint going to hire anyone. Wish I had better news...but jeez come on.

Where are you people getting the idea we are going to hire? The line totals are still down. I am moving backwards in my base after the CA displacements. I have intentionally been sitting reserve and they are using reserves very little. There aint squat in Daily Open and Extra-fly compared to what it was before the cuts. I talked to Carl at the union meeting last month and the possibility of furloughs is still on the table when we have the fall cutbacks take effect.

So what! They are VJA'ing and JA'ing in Vegas on the weekends. That is viewed as normal for this company. When they start involuntary JA'ing in all bases on most every day of the week then they will consider maybe running a class or two. Until then, they aint going to hire anyone. Wish I had better news...but jeez come on.

Good points. I talked to my buddy, and he said that there will be no new hires this year. He said that a furlough is a lot more likely. He said you are overstaffed to the tune of 300 guys right now....and in the fall there will be less flights and the overstaffing will be in the 500 range. The first furlough would be approx 250-300.

Latest resources

Back