• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Swa Pool

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
10-15 makes more sense... Those guys must really really love to fly SWA or they really really really need some cash!

Word out of the training center this week is that only 24 of the 60+ guys were re-hired. They don't expect all 24 to accept training in April. Those that do will have to complete the full training course that all new hires go through. Good luck poolies.

Hang in there y'all!

Yes, it is well worth the wait. Even on its worst day it is better than flying a desk. I am in my fourth year & it has screamed by. Now flying great schedules & enjoying easier trips. Only 1 complete horses ass in 4 years. A navy S3 prick out of Oakland who loves to beat up on probbies. PM me when you get a date & I will gladly fill you in. The feeling is that many of the geezers won't hang around for much of the 1st year misery (compared to the fantastic life they were leading).

Best of luck.

JV

JV,

How long until you could hold left seat based on best SWAPA guess?

Swapa projector says 4/2014. Hired 1/2005 shortly after prepping with you (thanks). As fluid as things are around here, could be from 2010 til 20??.

Happy to be here but optimistically looking forward.

JV

Johhny: Any chance you can tell what the projector would say had you been hired in, oh I don't know, Apr of 2004? Just curious.

Thanks.

FJ

Johhny: Any chance you can tell what the projector would say had you been hired in, oh I don't know, Apr of 2004? Just curious.

Thanks.

FJ

Looking over your shoulder can always be painful...

I think you and I are a long way from 4 stripes...but I'll bet you'd have been no closer at SWA.

Not saying its got the best pay or benefits, but the guys who went to CAL the last 3-4 years are probably the winner of the "quick upgrade" lottery. The LCCs have really slowed hiring, and Delta, United, and NWA still have a looong wait (using todays numbers anyway...)

Sorry to hijack the thread...

I'm afraid you are right about the upgrade Albie. I'm not worried about it, and I must be in the minority of airline pilots because upgrade times were not a primary concern of mine (and still isn't).

I figured that it would happen when it happened, and I just wanted to work for a good company flying planes, and the upgrade would come in due time. I truly am happy to be here, and am doing better than I ever really imagined I would.

Hiring at SW was going pretty good in 04-05, so I would guess that the upgrade for an Apr 04 hire might be a year ahead of Johhny V's, or sometime in 2013.

I had figured an upgrade at SW in year 9, which would have been around 2012. I was trying to be very conservative back then (at both carriers) but I certainly hadn't figured on the age change. It appears I was at least in the ballpark now that the age has changed.

Simply an academic exercise. I have no (or very few, and only on really bad days) second thoughts about the way things turned out.

FJ

Last edited:
It is not even showing an upgrade dat for Jan 07 hires. Guess I will be an FO for life. I am planning on a 10-12 year upgrade. If it is less, then I will be happy. I just hope we get a pay scale out to that long with increased percentages with long upgrades. Times are not like in 1994 with the old contract.

I predict one byproduct of long upgrade times will be higher FO attrition to other carriers and also out of the industry. Probably not so much at SWA, but a guy who'd got 10 years to wait at DAL or 10 years to wait at UAL might decide to give up 1 year or 2 to increase quality of life and/or reduce commuting. Other guys will inevitably find some side careers become more lucrative than mainline careers and exit somewhere along the way. That attrition will be lower at higher paying carriers (FDX, SWA, UPS, etc) but much higher at the LCCs. I know quite a few folks leaving jetblue these days...including some 190 captains. A few have gone to other carriers, and one I know just punted the industry completely.

So...while the list in front of you may not shrink much, I do think we'll see some attrition along the way..

Latest resources

Back