• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA plan for 15% ROIC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think AT folks harp on the relative seniority thing because it shows how much their cheese has been moved. It is a lot to deal with for some folks. I know some thought that relative seniority was what AT pilots should hold out for...delusional if you ask me. But losing EVERY captain seat was pretty far fetched too.

Phred

Let it go, on both sides, just let it go-
You know, because its been done for a long time

AT pilots look at relative seniority and SWA pilots don't. That's what is simple. What may help some AT pilots is if they look at how much seniority they lost from DOH. Based on my AT hire date I should have been right around 50% on the combined list. I ended up at 59%. That doesn't sound as horrible as the 30% relative loss I took. I never expected to get relative in arbitration. And I'm never going to get that seniority back, so why dwell on it?

You might want to check again, or I've screwed it up - based on DOH i'd be around 47 - 49% and I think you're senior to me. I lose around 20% from that.

No Darth. I don't care if you think DOH was a non starter. Shut your eyes or put your helmet back on if it annoys you :D

Let it go, on both sides, just let it go-
You know, because its been done for a long time

Wave, the problem is....if a company conducts itself the way SWA did in a merger, it has consequences. They don't go away. Right wrong or indifferent, the AirTran folks were lied to and denied the right to letting a neutral arbitrator settle what is always an emotional and volatile issue (merger). SWA simply did not handle it in a way that "should make us all proud", to paraphrase Kelly when the merger was announced.
The worst is the SWA pilots that have the audacity to tell the AirTran folks to "just get over it" and let's all be friends now. Human nature simply doesn't work that way.

the AirTran folks were lied to and denied the right to letting a neutral arbitrator settle what is always an emotional and volatile issue (merger).

AT chose their path. If SWA told the truth about the 717 from the beginning, this would have been worse for the AT folks. They could have voted no and let this go to arby, but over 80% said that they wanted to take the deal.

AT chose their path. If SWA told the truth about the 717 from the beginning, this would have been worse for the AT folks. They could have voted no and let this go to arby, but over 80% said that they wanted to take the deal.

I'm on the ouside and not seeing this as close as you, but....it's my understanding that GK threatened the AirTran pilots if they voted no and they allowed a neutral party to settle the issue? Didn't he say something like "we will not merge the 2 operations if you vote against the second offer"?
Obviously they had a gun put to their head if that's the case. As I said, doing business like that has consequences.

Wave, the problem is....if a company conducts itself the way SWA did in a merger, it has consequences. They don't go away. Right wrong or indifferent, the AirTran folks were lied to and denied the right to letting a neutral arbitrator settle what is always an emotional and volatile issue (merger). SWA simply did not handle it in a way that "should make us all proud", to paraphrase Kelly when the merger was announced.
The worst is the SWA pilots that have the audacity to tell the AirTran folks to "just get over it" and let's all be friends now. Human nature simply doesn't work that way.

I would expect nothing more from a SWA hater.Most see right through you, but keep on trucking . Even a blind squirrel gets a nut.

You might want to check again, or I've screwed it up - based on DOH i'd be around 47 - 49% and I think you're senior to me. I lose around 20% from that.

No Darth. I don't care if you think DOH was a non starter. Shut your eyes or put your helmet back on if it annoys you :D

Just when I thought there was a little heroin left in the syringe. OK I get to retire senior. Like the last six months of my career I get to kick dirt and and rocks on all the poor bastards trying to crawl up the seniority hill..

I would expect nothing more from a SWA hater.Most see right through you, but keep on trucking . Even a blind squirrel gets a nut.

I would say the fact that just because I offer an opinion that you don't agree with hardly makes me a "hater". My point is simply an observation. I've been through this before, but for obvious reasons I do take an interest in mergers and how they are conducted. Fortunately, if it were to happen to us it won't be SWA!:)
Besides my take on the merger, you can hardly define me as a SWA "hater" Kind of sounds like a little kid that doesn't get what they want and yells to their parent "you hate me!"

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back