• Watchers 32

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CaptainMark said:
you mean you would rather be unemployed that fly for the largest most profitable cargo airline in the world with the best vacation policy, retirement plan and work rules. i guess you don't want to fly widebodies all over the world or even domestically....i guess u don't want to retire a millionaire...and FDX is about 60% dayflying now...you aren't too bright huh?

And FedEx Pilots were picketing with signs and everything just how long ago? Even made the cover of ALPA Pilot.

av8trix said:
I don't know why he couldn't ask one of his 3+ sponsors to go in to HR and ask for him...probably better than him calling them if he was told not too. I'm surprised his sponsors aren't offering to do that. Otherwise, go where the work is. He may find he loves his job at Airline X, especially if he's living in domicile already. That's a huge benefit. What I did was push off a class date at Airline C until I couldn't stand it anymore....luckily, UPS called in the meantime and I was able to turn down Airline C before class started. But I stressed about the same thing. Didn't want to piss off Airline C by leaving. Someone said this to me that put it all in perspective. "You have to do what is best for you. The airline isn't going to think twice when they furlough you because it is what is best for them." If he starts at Airline X and FedEx calls and it's a better opportunity, then he's got to make the choice that is best for him. It's a good problem to have though.

Exactly! Just had a M&G at which the ACP encouraged my sponsoree to take a job at Eagle or JB if he was offered one. It would absolutely NOT hurt his chances at FDX. On the contrary, he said, it would show that he was serious about an aviation career. If/when FDX called, his status at either of those airlines would NOT hurt him. However, he DID say this policy does not apply to legacy carriers. You need an "executive referral" in his words to get hired while flying the line at a legacy.

Like aviatrix said, any airline won't show you loyalty if they need to furlough. This is business. You should do everything you can to get hired at as many places as you think you might like to work. If and when offers come in, then you decide.

And, as far as I know, someone turning down FDX has not adversely affected anyone's ability to sponsor someone in the future. Does anyone have any evidence to the contrary besides rumor?

Balut said:
Concur with all. Here is a scenario that some of you may wish to comment on. A buddy of mine is in the FedEx pool. It took him nearly a year and a half to get there. A week after he received his pool letter, Airline X called him for an interview. That airline has a domicile in his hometown. He was subsequently hired at Airline X as well and has a class date in the near future. He told me his FedEx pool letter explicitly said, "don't call us, we'll call you" (in regard to a class date), and that the letter was "not an offer of employment, just a notification that the process of background checks, etc. would continue" (i.e. He's not hired until sitting in class on day one). He asked me for advice. Should he call FedEx to determine if all is well? He isn't the kind of guy who would commit at Airline X and leave as soon as FedEx calls, but he also is struggling with the decision to pass on such a huge opportunity. Any thoughts?
Your buddy is almost hired. Nothing will stand in the way except for him/her having an accident/incident or DWI while he is in the pool, or a huge downturn in the industry and subsequent halt in hiring.

Otherwise, it is just a matter of time, but that time could be a month, could be a couple of years. More than likely it will only be a few more months, but then they will be "in" at FedEx.

In my opinion if they are Absolutely, Positively sure that they want to go to FedEx I would try to defer the class date with the other carrier as long as possible, hopefully getting the FedEx class before having to attend training or turn down the other offer.

I would only do that once or twice, and only if I was POSITIVE I wanted to work for FedEx. If it took more than a few months, I would go ahead and start with carrier X and then make the decision to stay or go when FedEx called.

If I had the slightest doubt about FedEx or wasn't fully committed, I'd take the first available class at the other carrier and then decide to stay or go when FedEx called. Sitting around waiting (if you have other options) probably isn't the best move for your family.

I would NOT call KD to ask about my status. No how no way. It will happen, the timing is the only issue. I wouldn't jepordize my spot trying to get information that she probably doesn't have anyway.

Good luck to your bud.

FJ

PurpleInMEM said:
Ahhhh....ok.....

Once again I really have no idea what you're pontificating about, but if you want to imagine me as Bobby Brady then you go girl. :rolleyes:

And believe me...we're not on the same team newbie.

Oh and if I forget next month, happy one year flightinfo anniversary!

my apologies...it was purpletail...not you..my mistake..i never said i was smart..

why would confused SWA guys be the central focus of this thread?

Just to add to the mystery here...rode in the crew bus with what would have been this fella's MD-11 ANC classmate and he said this guy lives in Memphis! Hmm....

Balut said:
Concur with all. Here is a scenario that some of you may wish to comment on. A buddy of mine is in the FedEx pool. It took him nearly a year and a half to get there. A week after he received his pool letter, Airline X called him for an interview. That airline has a domicile in his hometown. He was subsequently hired at Airline X as well and has a class date in the near future. He told me his FedEx pool letter explicitly said, "don't call us, we'll call you" (in regard to a class date), and that the letter was "not an offer of employment, just a notification that the process of background checks, etc. would continue" (i.e. He's not hired until sitting in class on day one). He asked me for advice. Should he call FedEx to determine if all is well? He isn't the kind of guy who would commit at Airline X and leave as soon as FedEx calls, but he also is struggling with the decision to pass on such a huge opportunity. Any thoughts?

Your buddy isn't the kind of guy to start at Airline X and leave as soon as FedEx calls?!?!?!?

I'm just throwin' this out there, but Airline X, ANY AIRLINE X, would furlough your buddy in a second. My good friends at AMR taught me that lesson well. No amount of your buddy's loyalty will change modern business reality. Tell him that he should take the Airline X job. If FX calls and he wants that job, he should take it.

Any Chief Pilot that's worth a damn will understand if he leaves. Companies in this business no longer offer loyalty to their employees and loyalty must be a two-way street.

Remember - take the bird in hand, but never, ever stop digging through the bush!

PIPE

Latest resources

Back