SWA pilot base seniority

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TR4A said:
I am based in OAK. I have a crashpad in Alameda (a few miles NW of airport).

The hotels are 1-2 miles east of the airport. During the day it is a safe area. At night it could be a little risky. A year or so ago we had a F/O walk to a grocery store down the street and he got mugged not seriously injured. He ended up calling in sick for his trip.

Eight years ago I stayed in the hotels for a few months and I walked to a few places after dark and had no problems. In my eights years in OAK the above incident is the only one I am aware of.

Around my crashpad in Alameda it is very safe area. It does cost more but I do it for quality of life not costs.

Alameda is beautiful!!

dhampton said:
DAL 15 months
MCO 8
BWI 6
MDW 3
HOU 3
PHX 1-2
OAK 0

Happy Trails!

Nice list. But there is more.

This is valid only if you want to be in the bottom 10. If you want to get a little seniority or a commutable line your first year or two, you need to be at a commuting domicile.

I just saw some folks on probation who are from Texas switch from HOU to MDW. I saw a year 3 year North Carolina guy switch from BWI to MDW. The lines are more commutable and they have more seniority.

I would place OAK, MDW as the junior bases for a one or two year pilot who commutes.

When SWA opens a new city, commuters often switch domiciles because the commute gets easier to a more junior base.

BTW, the Captains play the same games with domiciles. The junior ones who tend to move around a lot. You can even pick up trips in another domicile from open time.

Last edited:
OAK hotels...

Here's a list of phone numbers for anyone staying in OAK:
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]

Best Western [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]510-633-0500[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Fairfield Inn by Marriott [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]510-568-1500[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Days Inn [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]510-568-1880[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]La Quinta [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]510-632-8900[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Hilton [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]510-635-5000[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Clarion [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]510-562-5311[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Holiday Inn Express [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]510-569-4400[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Motel 6 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]510-638-1180[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Park Plaza [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]510-635-5300[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Ramada [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]510-562-4888[/FONT]

Of course the BEST crash pad is a sailboat on the estuary!!

Last edited:
great place to work, but sadly as a mesaba FO....who has no possibility of upgrade, no money for ATP, no PIC turbine time, No money for Higher Power (oh they require a atp and type rating to even think about a 37 type), oh and no responses from other airlines for the resume's i sent out..maybe its a hint i should not be livin this dream of mine......ha.....at least i can shuttle lots of happy SWA pilots commuting to work from minneapolis to MDW for a couple more months anyways, after that, the avro is gone and so is my job. But i will not take pay cuts for sure....drop below 30 a year? not unless its at another airline.

Oh for those of you who make like 100 an hour and commute on a regional aircraft. Do not brag about your boats, your many nice cars, your beach house.....your whatever, us FO's who live in family members houses cause i cannot afford a house, well, just be nice about talking about those cool things.....ha...but sometimes its depressing to listen to all the things you people have....

i once had a NWA capt tell me i should find a better job at SWA or jetblue.....he did not have a clue...

cut da Tranny a piece of da action in BWI

Apply to da tranny. they need help...more pilots.

already work for da Tranny and love it. Wouldn't pay for a type rating. Gotta have some principles in life.

Murphy said:
already work for da Tranny and love it. Wouldn't pay for a type rating. Gotta have some principles in life.

Did you pay for your pilots license? With all due respect my brother, you sir, cannot see the forest for the trees.

Gup

Latest resources

Back