Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flybynav1965

Hey guys.

i'm a SWA poolies that will be going to class very soon. We eventually plan on moving to either vegas or phoenix, and make that my domicile of choice. i realize it make take awhile to get to phoenix, and i'm not worried about.

my questions are, in the big scheme of things:

which base has the best trips? ie good paying 3 day ones?

do both bases flow back east?

which is easiest for parking and getting to the crewlounge?

which base is easiest to non-rev out of and into?

the wife and i are trying to come to a decision as to where to move, and these answers will help decide.

cheers,
Nav

Non reving to Vegas????.....Good luck...most flights are full on all carriers. Pick where you want to live and go there. Welcome to SWA.

Last edited:
Its too early to tell. We just had the first bid and its not finished by a long shot. People will wait and see where they fall in the next couple of months and then make their choice. I talked to Chief Pilot the other day and he said to give it six months before the dust settles and then we will see how if vegas is senior or junior. As for the trips they are basically the same in all the bases, you have a lot of variety in what you want I think the texas bases have the texas two step but generally you have a good mix of short and medium haul flying in every base.

FWIW I know the housing market in PHX is terrible right now. A couple of buddies are trying to sell out there now and not even one showing. I can't say for LAS.

Either way, good luck.

LAS housing is doing worse then PHX. 1 in 27 is in foreclousre. I know a Airways pilot who commuted to Vegas and had no problems.

Doesn't matter which base you go to because you'll still have to do LBB overnights.

There, that's one less post for the General.

In the short term, I'd vote Vegas for a junior person. One BIG thing to think of......the taxes. I'm also betting Vegas will be a bigger commuter base than PHX which means more sick calls and better pick ups than PHX. I've heard the parking is not going well there as well as the set up in the short term. If you bid trips that end Sat pm, you'll always be golden if you're net a commuter. You'll always get your pick, then you can trade into the days you want. My best advice though, commute in the short term, wait for the dust to settle, then chose. Best of luck and welcome!!!!!!!

PS, I'm PHX based till either DEN becomes a base or I retire FWIW

........I'll take the one on the left!!!

How many people do you know that are full time commuters? Is this something that people do for 30 years or is it just to hard?

about 47% of the Pilots commute.:D

Latest resources

Back