• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA or Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He'll make more money as a 12th yr SWA 737 captain than any Delta captain (be it 767, 787, or 777).

That won't last. It looks like Delta will be getting more 777s and even 787s, and they are forcasted to be profitable, which means future pay raises. A friend of mine there said they can get up to 6% raises each of the next couple years if they are profitable (pre tax too), and that is very possible. Also, you won't have to fly in a cramped 737 across the nation if you don't want to. At Delta you can ditch the 738 for something bigger if you want. Not at Southwest. You are either doing 5 legs in a smaller 737-300 around California, or doing a transcon in a -700 with no room to stretch. No meals either, except peanuts. My buddy at DL says any flight over 5 1/2 hours now at DL must have first class meals available to both pilots. That covers most transcons from JFK to the West Coast. And remember this too, the reason Southwest pilots got higher pay raises is becuase of the Delta pilots raising the bar. They will get it back eventually.

That's assume he get hired today, see an upgrade in 7 years and then another 12 years to be a 12 yrs. captain...AND that delta pay rates will not change...but stay tuned on that point...
Um, what? You do know that you don't go to the bottom of the Captain scale when you upgrade right? Or in other words, Year 1 Captain pay.

Also, you won't have to fly in a cramped 737 across the nation if you don't want to. quote]

Says the man who flys a Lear.
Heavy you strike me as the corporate manager who flew for a second rate airline, went back to corporate because it was the quick deal, make okay money, hate sucessful airlines and their employees (SWA), and will probably get laid-off in a couple years when your rich owner gets tired of owning a expensive, tiny, litte toy. Look at all your past posts. They are (A) pro delta, or (B) posting bad news about 121 carriers. Don't be mad at us airline folk, we're all pilots doing what we enjoy doing.
PS. I think that not getting first class meals in return for getting to keep 100% of my pay is a pretty good deal. Just one man's opinion.

Two weeks ago Delta, United, US Air, Northwest, American and Continental all raised their base fares by $5. Last week they all had to lower the fares back because of one reason: Southwest didn't match it. Southwest is the bane of the airline industry.

Still. . . it would be nice to get paid $200/hr to fly a 737. It just a question of whether your conscience can live with it.

This has no relevance whatsoever to the argument so I apologize, but Stooge I really dig that avatar:D .

I hope this isn't a dumba$$ question, but under their contract don't SWA pilots fly more hours per month than DAL?

Also, you won't have to fly in a cramped 737 across the nation if you don't want to. quote]

Says the man who flys a Lear.
Heavy you strike me as the corporate manager who flew for a second rate airline, went back to corporate because it was the quick deal, make okay money, hate sucessful airlines and their employees (SWA), and will probably get laid-off in a couple years when your rich owner gets tired of owning a expensive, tiny, litte toy. Look at all your past posts. They are (A) pro delta, or (B) posting bad news about 121 carriers. Don't be mad at us airline folk, we're all pilots doing what we enjoy doing.
PS. I think that not getting first class meals in return for getting to keep 100% of my pay is a pretty good deal. Just one man's opinion.

I flew a 747 for Tower Air before the Lear, thank you. Couldn't help it if the airline went away. Found a couple good corporate gigs, but then this one is a mint. I am paid well to manage and fly, and golf a plenty in Boca Raton. I don't hate Southwest, in fact I have a couple friends there, based in MCO. They like it, most of the time, yet they always talk of wishing they had more options in trips. I also have friends at Delta, and they didn't enjoy the BK stage, but really enjoy their trips. So, I have some experience with regard to my posts. It is odd though that you guys are so defensive about your "perfect" airline. It is humorous watching you all try to combat General Lee, when all he is saying is that not everyone wants to be one of you. You take it personally. And, since when did you become the FI police? I can post anything I want, and I often post in other categories, like LCC, Fractional, etc. My world doesn't revolve around Southwest, thank god. Some of you guys are really stuck on yourselves. Have you ever had a first class meal before? You really don't know what you are missing. I get great meals myself at Rudy's at Teterboro (on the boss, thank you). Enjoy your peanuts.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back