• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA or DAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DAL or SWA????? Wow, that's one question I would never ask. Use some condom sense......lol. No, really, good luck to ya.

FDJ2, I wish you the best. Lets not get too nasty discussing this.

Good enough. We'll see how it all plays out. SWA is still in relatively good shape, but there are some troubling indicators. The good news is that SWA has some time to turn it around. I wish you well.

The reason the other airlines suck is because the corporate raiders got to them. The most successful companies usually are the ones still under original ownership.

How long before it's SWA/CA?

Some say October...some say December. That is if they don't hold me back a year. You see that last trip I did? Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! $$$$$ 13 legs a day! and they only pay me for 6!!!

Quote:

Really, honestly, I don't want to fly the same plane for 30 years and do UP TO 5 or 6 legs a day with 25 min turns.

And if one dosen't want to...they shouldn't come here. I was once at a "legacy" carrier....you know, wide bodies, International routes, hub-and-spoke, employee group "tribalism", and all that comes with it. I made the choice to leave there and come to SWA...12 years ago.

I knew what i was getting into. I knew I would fly the same type of airplane for the rest of my career....I knew, I wouldn't fly international here....I knew, there were 25 minute - some 20, and back when I came here, some were even 15 minute- turns.

But I also knew that we had a great management team running this company. All the leadership was "home grown", meaning that when one was promoted, you wouldn't see a sudden shift in the corporate plan like we've seen with guys like Wolf, Leo, Carty, Grienstein, Parker and others. Kelleher, Parker or Gary have yet to lie to me the way others have been lied to by the other guys

I'd rather do a 25 minute turn than do a 3:55 hub sit around...we did that a bunch at my old "legacy" carrier.

5-6 leg days? Yes, there are some...I also knew that before I came here. Those kinds of days are not the majority. Even when I was junior, if I didn't bid for those kids of days...I wouldn't get them. Having said that, I have flown some in the past...by choice. Just about all of my trips are of the 2-3-4 leg per day variety.

Pilot do complain by nature. But here at SWA, I have yet to hear of anyone complaining of those 5-6 leg days. It's not one of the big items in our current contract talks.

When 9/11 happened, other managements looked to the employees jobs/benefits to keep their companies going. Here at SWA, 3 days later on 9/14, Management looked to the employees to give them their profit sharing bonus money.

Here at SWA, you'll make a good, comfortable living. My ( original issue) wife and I will have put our youngest through college this year, we live in the home of our dreams, on 4 acres of land and have all that we will ever need.

This place isn't for everybody (Thank goodness)...but it's been great for me.

Tejas

Last edited:
You really are full of yourself. Southwest, besides the pay, is nothing more than a glorified regional.

Do you know the SWA/FO? I doubt it.

And if one dosen't want to...they shouldn't come here. I was once at a "legacy" carrier....you know, wide bodies, International routes, hub-and-spoke, employee group "tribalism", and all that comes with it. I made the choice to leave there and come to SWA...12 years ago.

I knew what i was getting into. I knew I would fly the same type of airplane for the rest of my career....I knew, I wouldn't fly international here....I knew, there were 25 minute - some 20, and back when I came here, some were even 15 minute- turns.

But I also knew that we had a great management team running this company. All the leadership was "home grown", meaning that when one was promoted, you wouldn't see a sudden shift in the corporate plan like we've seen with guys like Wolf, Leo, Carty, Grienstein, Parker and others. Kelleher, Parker or Gary have yet to lie to me the way others have been lied to by the other guys

I'd rather do a 25 minute turn than do a 3:55 hub sit around...we did that a bunch at my old "legacy" carrier.

5-6 leg days? Yes, there are some...I also knew that before I came here. Those kinds of days are not the majority. Even when I was junior, if I didn't bid for those kids of days...I wouldn't get them. Having said that, I have flown some in the past...by choice. Just about all of my trips are of the 2-3-4 leg per day variety.

Pilot do complain by nature. But here at SWA, I have yet to hear of anyone complaining of those 5-6 leg days. It's not one of the big items in our current contract talks.

When 9/11 happened, other managements looked to the employees jobs/benefits to keep their companies going. Here at SWA, 3 days later on 9/14, Management looked to the employees to give them their profit sharing bonus money.

Here at SWA, you'll make a good, comfortable living. My ( original issue) wife and I will have put our youngest through college this year, we live in the home of our dreams, on 4 acres of land and have all that we will ever need.

This place isn't for everybody (Thank goodness)...but it's been great for me.

Tejas

Just just to be sure, what carrier did you fly for and you were on the 737 there as well before going to SWA? Just curious. A belated congrats on getting to SWA btw!

Just just to be sure, what carrier did you fly for and you were on the 737 there as well before going to SWA? Just curious. A belated congrats on getting to SWA btw!

Well...without giving any names...yes I did fly the 737 while I was there, got the type and let SWA know I was available the very next day.

The carrier I was with has been in Bankruptcy. And they tend to furlough pilots when things don't go according to plan...and they have a horrible labor/management relationship....Ok, ok, ok...and they have started to change their paint scheme ( yet, again) in the last few years. I hope that narrows it down.

Based on what I saw when I was there, I always felt they would end up in BK...it just happened a few years later than I thought it would.

Tejas

Latest resources

Back