• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA or DAL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Delta has great company culture so if that is your main reason for SWA than I would look at DAL for similiar reasons. I am fairly new to the Delta family but I have been extremelly impressed how well the company treats and values their employees. I am biased but I would say it rivals what SWA has in terms of corporate culture.
What about the Delta flight attendants that are being routinely failed out of door training lately. Some with many years with the company. Non union of course.

What about the Delta flight attendants that are being routinely failed out of door training lately. Some with many years with the company. Non union of course.

If they are busting out the fat, old, or gay ones, I think everyone would see that as a plus.

W2's and days off.

Until you have an offer from both, does it really matter?

Gup

I am pretty sure he was asking because he was trying to figure out NOW whether or not he should invest thousands of dollars in a 737 type. So sure, it does matter.

Gup likes to brag that they have high W2's now, and that could be matched or better at Delta in the future. Delta actually has pretty good first year pay. He also states days off is important, and picking the right plane at Delta could give the same result, being a line holder quicker on a narrowbody at Delta vs a widebody early on.

I say look 5 to 10 years down the road. After the merger is complete with Airtran, the young guys there will merge into the SWA list and upgrades will likely slowdown. Delta has scheduled retirements in the thousands over the next 10 years. Southwest does not, and their own pilots are famous for trying to extend their employment as long as the can.

Then look at the flying. The intial poster said he didn't really care what he did at work, rather looking at what he can do at home. If he doesn't care about the layovers, the SWA is the airline for him, because after that many legs per day and per trip, he honestly won't remember where he's been. It won't really matter. At Delta, there are plenty of productive trips, but memorable layovers in some exotic places also. It may take a few years to get there, but 5 leg days ending in El Paso won't be there, year after year, after year. Think about 30 years of El Paso and St Louis? How about one word: LUBBOCK. And before you throw Africa stuff in there, you can bid away and never do it again. It's a base thing. Certain bases never do it. Two bases do. You can bid away and stay away. Or, you can bid the plane when you are senior enough not to bid it. I still haven't done Africa, and won't. Just remember: LUBBOCK.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Delta has scheduled retirements in the thousands over the next 10 years. Southwest does not,

Not true, 1/3 of our list will retire in the next 10 years.

I am pretty sure he was asking because he was trying to figure out NOW whether or not he should invest thousands of dollars in a 737 type. So sure, it does matter.

No type rating required to apply.

Gup likes to brag that they have high W2's now, and that could be matched or better at Delta in the future. In the future? Let's bet on the now, not the come. Delta actually has pretty good first year pay. He also states days off is important, and picking the right plane at Delta could give the same result, being a line holder quicker on a narrowbody at Delta vs a widebody early on. No argument.

I say look 5 to 10 years down the road. He's asking now, not 5-10 years down the road. After the merger is complete with Airtran, the young guys there will merge into the SWA list and upgrades will likely slowdown. Not likely, guaranteed. Delta has scheduled retirements in the thousands over the next 10 years. Southwest does not, and their own pilots are famous for trying to extend their employment as long as the can. Delta has more retirements in the future.

Then look at the flying. The intial poster said he didn't really care what he did at work, rather looking at what he can do at home. If he doesn't care about the layovers, the SWA is the airline for him, because after that many legs per day and per trip, he honestly won't remember where he's been. 3 day trip, 10 legs, 22 credits. It won't really matter. At Delta, there are plenty of productive trips, but memorable layovers in some exotic places also. Last time I checked your MD80's overnight in Birmingham too big boy. It may take a few years to get there, but 5 leg days ending in El Paso won't be there, year after year, after year. Think about 30 years of El Paso and St Louis? How about one word: LUBBOCK. And before you throw Africa stuff in there, you can bid away and never do it again. It's a base thing. Certain bases never do it. Two bases do. You can bid away and stay away. Or, you can bid the plane when you are senior enough not to bid it. I still haven't done Africa, and won't. Just remember: LUBBOCK.

Just remember $250k last year........ on reserve.

Bye Bye---General Lee

If you wanna piss....... let's piss.

Gup

Like someone else said, just take a look around this forum. You can get enough information from this board, just by reading some of the dribble that is posted here. Ask yourself, would I want to sit for 3 or 4 days next to some of these guys? Not me, I never applied to Delta, seemed like way too uptight a pilot group for me. I would think that if you even have to ask between SWA or Delta, you belong at Delta. It's like deciding between the Playboy Mansion and The 700 Club Compound, where would you rather spend the weekend? Yeah, it's THAT different.

Could you please direct that sentiment to the Jeszoid LUV capt I overheard trying to 'save' his FO at breakfast in PDX last month.

Sorry hero, every place has it's cool guys and d-bags these days. I fail to see your group worthy of Hefner status cause some of you wear those stylish leather jackets...:erm:

Last edited:
General Lee (et al:flop gut, scope out rjs, FD12 etc)

I hope SOMEDAY you do better than SWA pilots. You fly widebodies! For the sake of the profession you NEED to do better.

Stop trying to drag us down and focus on bringing yourself up.

Peace

General Lee (et al:flop gut, scope out rjs, FD12 etc)

I hope SOMEDAY you do better than SWA pilots. You fly widebodies! For the sake of the profession you NEED to do better.

Stop trying to drag us down and focus on bringing yourself up.

Peace

We did do a lot better than your current contract, that actually helped bring your contract to where it is today. You're welcome. BK thanks to previous management brought it down, along with a $1 billion Comair strike, and other factors like 9-11 hurt too. Regardless, we thank you for keeping the rates high, and we hope to use them as a jumping off point for our future rates. Have a great one.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Not trying to play the middle man, but SWA did become the highest paid by success sharing and default. 911, BK's did not help the legacy's to much. Pay comes and goes though.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back