• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA or DAL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA is a great company. In 2007 2 squardron mates and myself were hired by both SWA and Delta in 2007. We all chose Delta because we saw Delta on the upswing. I currently fly the 757/767 and enjoy the variety of domestic and international flying. My buddies fly the 737 and 88. My family takes one big trip each year courtesy of Delta, the kids are spoiled cause they always go first class and they love it. The family has been to Rome, London, and South Africa so far. Life is good at Delta. Best of luck to you.

Yeah, what he said...

I am a 767 gy and do mostly international, but can do a 2 day NYC-west coast for a change of pace. My kids are 10 & 8 and been to 8 different countries; SWA is a terrific company but for my family and I we like the ability to see the world.

Ask any current SWA or DAL guy in ~~ 20 years and we'll let you know which decision was the right one...

Maybe Gulfstream Int' will take over the world and that'll have been the best choice?! ;-0

Perhaps hat wearing will be the new measure :D

Heh-heh!

I don't think you could go wrong with either airline. This subject has come up on F.I. many times in the past, and I think the best suggestion I have seen is to make a written list detailing what things you believe will be most important to you and your family. . . . Things like where you want to live (or commute from), what type of flying you want to do, days off, benefits, nonrev travel, scheduling flexibility, type of aircraft, upgrade, retirement, etc. and then seeing where each airline stacks up in regards to your personal situation.

What sort of Pilot culture best matches your personality?

For the past 6 years, I have flown with several dozen former DAL Captains, who came to AirTran after taking the early retirement in order to salvage as much of their pensions as possible. Most of them were former 767ER Check Airmen, who were now serving as ol' Ty's FO. I have to say that every single one of them was a real pleasure to work with . . . . not only did they do a great job in the airplane, but they were never negative, despite their change in fortune, and were consummate professionals all around. They would usually come out for a beer or two, and were fun to hang out with, despite the decade or two difference in our ages. A great bunch of guys.

The SWA pilots seem to have much in common with the AirTran pilots- we work hard, play hard, and have a good time doing both. Also, a great bunch of guys, probably a little more prone to stay out later, due to the younger age of the crews and the relative youth of our airlines. :beer:

As I said above, I don't think you could go wrong with either airline. Try to get as far as you can in the process with both companies, and if you get two offers, consider yourself one very fortunate Aviator! Make the best decision you can, and then don't look back.

Best of Luck!

Last edited:
Just the facts. SWA guy. Great folks to fly with. Domiciles are great--I'm in LAS (very junior) and love it. 3 Yr FO--W-2 block 5 was $158k. Doesn't include about $25k in 401k match and PS. I do fly extra--about 125 trips/month--usually block between 75-85 hours. Just bid on March--lines were between 90 and 100 trips with 17-19 days off. Something I think that is often overlooked is how productive SWA's scheduling and lines are. I will do a 2 day many times that leaves around 4 PM and gets back the next night around 10 PM. About 15 hours in the hotel (ELP is fine with me!) and 13-16 trips accomplished in not much more than 24 hours. Work rules, flexibility and atmosphere are great at SWA.

That's my side, but if I were on the street I would be excited about working for either.

Ask Snickers the kitten who is the better airline. He knows about retirement at Delta.

I'm wondering why you mentioned the service academy grads ? Every airline has them. The fact that you were moved to mention them undermines your characterisation of Delta pilots. Perhaps you'll be compelled to feverishly research the numbers .... In the 90's United claimed they were the "smartest pilot group". They used post graduate degrees as a measure. It didn't appear to help..

You missed my point. I was refuting a mischaracterization that Delta pilots were uptight. I wasn't using their achievements as a selling point for someone considering working here, or evidence that someone's career will be more prosperous here. Instead I was illustrating that this is the most laid back, comfortable pilot group I've had the pleasure of working with.

You missed my point. I was refuting a mischaracterization that Delta pilots were uptight. I wasn't using their achievements as a selling point for someone considering working here, or evidence that someone's career will be more prosperous here. Instead I was illustrating that this is the most laid back, comfortable pilot group I've had the pleasure of working with.

They were always a pleasure to JS on (pilot wise, FA's and gate agents were a different story)! :beer:

Delta has great company culture so if that is your main reason for SWA than I would look at DAL for similiar reasons. I am fairly new to the Delta family but I have been extremelly impressed how well the company treats and values their employees. I am biased but I would say it rivals what SWA has in terms of corporate culture.

Latest resources

Back