• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA or DAL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General Lee (et al:flop gut, scope out rjs, FD12 etc)

I hope SOMEDAY you do better than SWA pilots. You fly widebodies! For the sake of the profession you NEED to do better.

Stop trying to drag us down and focus on bringing yourself up.

Peace

ivauir, guppywn, redflyer65 (et al)

You guys brought down the industry many years ago with your pft, lousy wages, commuter type schedules, and benefits, no pension, and of course, the catalysts for age 65.
Thanks to the force of bankruptcy, we were brought down to your level, and in most cases lower.
Stop dragging the industry down and focus on bringing yourselves up.
I can only hope that the merger with Air Tran will bring up the classless attitude that I see here.

Last edited:
Skywiz,

Very reasonable question. You've gotten lots of responses, some emotional, some filled with more facts than emotions. Good luck sorting out the gems from the hot air.

Others have said similar things. List the 5 things you want most in your airline career; money, variety of airplanes to fly, far/near international flying or mostly domestic, job security, labor/management work relationships, quickest upgrade, etc.

Once you have done that, assess the carriers that best match those goals and apply; I would apply to both. BTW, I suspect when the applicant window opens up again for SWA, it may initially be for "typed" pilots only. No official word but just a gut feeling, but if not, apply to both is my recommendation.

One example of how choices may not always work out the way you want them. Recently flew with a DAL '97 hire who came to SWA in the mid-90's (pre bankruptcy). Great guy, great attitude, super flying skills. Drove to work @ DAL, great QOL but concerned about bankruptcy and DAL's future.

Left DAL, came here and is not upgrading as quickly as he thought he would....when he came to SWA, the trend was all towards quicker upgrades at SWA. Bottom line, he'd be a CA at DAL now, would still be driving to work vs. commuting to work, has lost many thousands of dollars by not collecting post bankruptcy payouts to pilots, equity from bankruptcy as well as a CA upgrade pay. I don't believe he was ever furloughed but had concerns about it obviously.

He acknowledges the choice has cost him great sums of $$ but despite that he is very capable, has the "luv" spirit and isn't bitter at all. In hindsight he says he should've stayed but is living with the decision.

DAL on the surface as do other carriers appear to have better upgrades coming in the future. The same was said when I was hired in the late 90's...as well as bigger salaries for the legacies. The big difference is growth will come from retirements not from airline growth as it was "promised" in the late 90's or early '00's.

I luv SWA and feel fortunate to be here, wouldn't want to be anywhere else but it isn't the right fit or choice for everyone, I get that and respect it.

One can have very successful airline carriers at other carriers; timing, leadership at the top and a world of unknown variables that can change a company's future in the blink of an eye will be more of the determining factors of your "success or missed opportunities" in this world we call the airline profession.

Once you choose the top 5 things that are most important to you in your career, go back every year or so and review them and make sure they stay the same; if you become unhappy at your airline it is probably because those priorities have changed or you weren't honest with yourself to begin with. Good luck in your choices.

Scope,

The airline you describe bears no resemblance to the one I work at. You have absolutely no clue.

Stop hating and work on improving your own situation. Good luck to you.

Scope,

The airline you describe bears no resemblance to the one I work at. You have absolutely no clue.

It's ironic our situation is getting better due to our merger, while your situation and culture is deteriorating at the same time. I see rough waters ahead for your group if you don't get your acts together and play nice.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Scope,

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt, sport.;)
Besides, looks like your airline is about to resemble the chaos there after the sli is over.:laugh:

Let me grab some popcorn.
This will go at least 5 pages. I'm not gonna even touch the pft thing at southwest.........:D

Seriously though, just go with whoever hires you, that's the ticket.

There is no "pft thing" at Southwest.

There's a lot to be said about those productive three day trips at Southwest. It seems that our 4 day trips at Delta on the 88 pay about the same number of hours as a 3 day trip at Southwest. Then throw in our lesser hourly rate and we work more days for way less money. Delta loves to make four day trips on the 88. As an 07 hire at Delta, flying the MD88, I'd have rather spent my first three years at Southwest. Here at Delta, we have a long way to go, but right now if I had to guess, it would be a good long term move.

Latest resources

Back