? SWA or CAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jbDC9 said:
Is it just me, or is anyone else getting tired of these chest thumping, Kool Aid drinking gung-ho SWA fags?

I didn't have a 737 type at the time and I wasn't about to go pay for one on my own.

Funny how SWA "fags" have been thumping our chests while other pilots have been crying in their beer when before they were insulting us over the years. Thumping our chests is a small testament to why we are leaders not followers.

No one said you have to pay for a type.

VVJM265 said:
Very well written propjob27.

Yes, thanks. Both airlines have their merits, and for the guys that think Int'l flying is brutal, and those long, one-leg flights are torture, not mention all the strange food in strange countries - try it! I've never enjoyed flying as much as I did with all the Int'l trips we did at ATA. I know my buds at SWA luv it, and I'm really happy for them, but I'll sure remember looking down at the pyramids in Egypt or a screwy arrival in to Plovdiv, Bulgaria over the times I've had to drone along, on say, the Civet arrival in to LAX. It's all been enjoyable though, the best to everyone.

MarylandONE said:
Funny how SWA "fags" have been thumping our chests while other pilots have been crying in their beer when before they were insulting us over the years. Thumping our chests is a small testament to why we are leaders not followers.

See what I mean? You idiots just can't stop... and I don't mean all SWA pilots, just the several on this board that are spewing ego inflating crap like this here. Mary, how do you fit that huge head of yours thru the cockpit door? I'm not crying in my beer (I actually like my job at an airline that is not SW) and have never insulted Southwest Airlines; I just tired of hearing this stuff outta you guys.

JBDC9,

If you are so tired of reading about it, why don't you quit reading the threads that have SWA in the title?

If AA was doing really well, and in the past they have, you'd be here complaining about them I'm sure....

Get a life!

jbDC9 said:
See what I mean? You idiots just can't stop... and I don't mean all SWA pilots, just the several on this board that are spewing ego inflating crap like this here. Mary, how do you fit that huge head of yours thru the cockpit door? I'm not crying in my beer (I actually like my job at an airline that is not SW) and have never insulted Southwest Airlines; I just tired of hearing this stuff outta you guys.

For 10 years whenever I had to jumpseat on one of the "legacy carriers" I took it from you guys. "Hey, you know were hiring here at XXX airline." "Hey, so it's like a regional, right?" "Do you guys have a pension plan over there?" I could go on and on. Fact is we have been proven right and it's time to pound a chest in happiness. If you don't like it go read a legacy carrier thread. Oh yeah, they're all depressing. Go figure. Why don't you head over to the, "SWA pilots get a pay raise" thread?

Last edited:
MarylandONE said:
If you don't like it go read a legacy carrier thread. Oh yeah, they're all depressing. Go figure. Why don't you head over to the, "SWA pilots get a pay raise" thread?

Whats the title of this thread Mr. Wizard? I think CAL is a legacy.

Fastone: I stand by my earlier advice, save one thing: you might want to stay at that corp gig if it is real good. So to recap: if you have to leave the corp deal, SWA then CAL. If you are under 40, you might want to wait about 5 years or so and see how this all shakes out.

The only potential problem with SWA is these guys/gals that are posting this crap. They are acting this way in public more often also. This is really going to start to grate on the other SWA employee groups. SWA pilots make a great deal of money quickly (upgrade), the other employees don't do so hot (many get bought out or otherwise marginalized). This is going to wear thin with them because these pilots don't have a real link to the past discipline that made SWA great. They DO however, have this overt bravado in which they suggest they are the epitomy of SWA spirit. Other employees are going to want a bigger share, and it will be a fight because SWA has been resolved in the past to keep the non pilot groups particuliarly low paid. The company is highly unionized too, 7 unions I think.

SWA GUY said:
One word, "Job Security". Make that two words...

I'll bet that those words were repeated in the history of airlines starting with the great United Airlines during the 1930's....TWA.....Pan Am.....EAL......Piedmont......US Air..........DAL.........NWA............who else?

When I started interviewing for the Major job the word was to take the first one that comes along and get that seniority number.

Well that seniority number may or may not be whats best.

Both SWA and CAL are great airlines each with its own merrits.

CAL offers different piloting job opportunities with the widebody flying internationally being a nice reward.

SWA offers a whole lot more flying to a greater number ofcities than CAL,
and for now only the 737, a great jet. Plus I believe the SWA flight attendents are younger than CAL's.

If and when NWA hires, you could probebly fly with CAL flight attendents great grandma's, who are FA's for NWA! :)

Good Luck

Flopgut said:
SWA pilots make a great deal of money quickly (upgrade), the other employees don't do so hot (many get bought out or otherwise marginalized).

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Flopgut said:
Whats the title of this thread Mr. Wizard? I think CAL is a legacy.

Fastone: I stand by my earlier advice, save one thing: you might want to stay at that corp gig if it is real good. So to recap: if you have to leave the corp deal, SWA then CAL. If you are under 40, you might want to wait about 5 years or so and see how this all shakes out.

The only potential problem with SWA is these guys/gals that are posting this crap. They are acting this way in public more often also. This is really going to start to grate on the other SWA employee groups. SWA pilots make a great deal of money quickly (upgrade), the other employees don't do so hot (many get bought out or otherwise marginalized). This is going to wear thin with them because these pilots don't have a real link to the past discipline that made SWA great. They DO however, have this overt bravado in which they suggest they are the epitomy of SWA spirit. Other employees are going to want a bigger share, and it will be a fight because SWA has been resolved in the past to keep the non pilot groups particuliarly low paid. The company is highly unionized too, 7 unions I think.

It's funny you think our culture would fall into the flames of your airline's. Sounds like a chapter out of an ALPA manual.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Latest resources

Back