SWA - No classes yet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
tidbit...

WHile taxiing out of KMAF this morning, I asked WN#21... " when are you guys going to start training again, I am getting kinda waterlogged?"... for what it is worth, the answer was, " hang in there, the training machine is well oiled and the rumor is they are getting ready to crank it up again soon".

All quiet on the Western front...... still wading & tredding

Stormy Skies??

SUre would be NICE to see a massive lvl6 pop up on the screen, ranged down to 25mi..... with many storms on the horizon!!

One can only hope..... dream & wish that something will change soon to allow us a free trip to DAL!!!!

Regards everyone - Tredding

And in that storm rides many a pilot hangin'-ten on top of the 50-foot waves and hoping to make it through the surf, over the beach and into the pool (still has the swim up bar---right?). But, how many of those pilots with all their resume's and supplemental packages carry the 737 type rating? I'm guessing that there's one room with stacks of 737 rated resume's lined up on the shelves, and then down the hall and past the employee's kitchen there's another really big room with stacks upon stacks upon stacks upon stacks of resumes from folks that just haven't gotten the chance (either time-wise or financially) to get the magic ticket.

Just can't deny the importance of that 737 rating in these times. The chat around the squadron flight room is a bit despondant these days...not enough financial independence to get it (at least without mortgaging the house again and getting that 2nd job with Domino's). All the pro's and con's of past forums have been really good, my vote is with the "just go and get it" crowd...it'll pay off quickly in the first couple of years IF the job is offered. Just a reeeeeaaaally big step to the "married with children" generation.

Good luck to you swimmers, and we'll hope that the gust front fills the SWA sails for a strong (building) few years...

Here's a thought;

Let's say there are 300 poolies, all with type ratings (obviously) and lets say that at least that number again have got their 737 ratings and have either yet to interview, or have interviewed and (sadly) got turned down. So that is 600 type rating courses attended for the chance to work at SWA. Let's say the average cost was $7,000. So hopefuls have spent approx $4.2million in the recent past.

Wish I owned a 737 simulator :)

When I got my type rating back in May, one of the SWA FOs I met called the type rating an $8000 raffle ticket!

But, as the saying goes, you can't win if you don't buy a ticket :)

Interview Updates

Spoke to some folks today who should know. As of now no more interviews scheduled for this year. No word on classes either. I go in for trainig mid-Sept & hope to have more info after that.

Sorry I can't throw a bone out there with something inticing on it but that's it for now. I'll get some of the company news off the hotline & post tomorrow.

To the Poolies:

These are obviously difficult times for everyone. It is trying people's patience and as time ticks away the stress without a job or steady income is a real one for many of you out there. I obviously have nothing to offer than some encouraging words but please continue to pursue ALL options for employment. This maybe difficult for some of you to imagine for you are hoping things will break soon. Ask yourself what you would do if you knew right now that SWA couldn't get you into class for a year.

Before anyone goes off the deep end, I'm not saying this will happen & I hope it doesn't but one must be prepared to keep the bills from getting overwhelming. Don't merely wait for SWA to come calling because if they don't because of other factors (war in Iraq will definitely slow things down IMHO, slower recovery in the economy, rising oil prices...creeping toward $30 a barrel due to uncertainity in the ME, etc.). Begin thinking out of the box to keep yourself current & bread on the table.

No one needs to be counseled on these types of things but I thought it would be worth mentioning as a reminder. If you'd like to review some 737 systems there are some good web sites out there that might be able to help you.

Boeing Site - UK

I will also try to publish some info from our FOM that might be helpful to review before arriving on the property. Wish I had more to offer but hang in there.

Thanks for the honesty Chase.

Currency is 1 hour a month in a 172. That's all I can afford.
Job is a billing enquiry loser.
Applied to every outfit that is hiring. Still awaiting interviews. (Yeah, right, with a 737 type)
Wife has been forced into a full time job. Our cars pass on our way home/to work.
House purchase has been postponed indefinetly.
May have to go back to teaching.
Could do with a life-line since I bleed my gratuity at an unhealthy rate.
Would love to post one of those "still waiting with a massive grin on my face, I'd rather be in the pool than waiting to interview" posts, but since I was told a class in late Feb 02 originally, am not in the mood. It was fun at the beginning of the year.
Should have stayed put in the mil. Those still there, STAY PUT for at least 1 year.

Don't get me wrong, I am still charged about working at SWA, but believe now that the earliest class for me is late Spring 2003. Just about the same time the landlord turfs us out!

Went to a job placement man today and he wanted $3500 just for the pleasure of him helping w/a job search. No guarantees.

Anybody crying out there yet?
Anybody got a better sob story?
Still, I've got my family, our health, and eternal optimism.
(Poor fool)

I hear ya Pegasus. Getting another flying job has become a exercise in futility. Try getting something with the scarlet letter "F" (for Furloughed) on you AND a B737 type rating in your pocket. Folks doing the hiring at other companies will not touch you with the proverbial "ten-foot-pole." I only hope the currency thing does not become an issue with SWA. Otherwise I am looking at a potential career change... maybe dealer??

Regards,
RightBettor

Looking for a Job

Hey there are still some good jobs out there beside Southwest.

I was fortunate enough to land a job teaching KC-135 sims full time. For those interested there are a lot of openings right now. Any KC-135 or any heavy jet military pilot check out openings at. It isn't exactly "staying current" but it pays the bills well.

http://www.fssc.com/employment

Also Boeing is hiring C-17 instructors. Again only requirement is having been a heavy military instructor pilot. Check out

http://www.boeing.com/employment/flash.html

also Lear-Zigler is hiring T-6 texan sim instructors.

The guard and reserves are hiring at many units. Also the military does have a return to active duty program. Plus I have been seeing thirty year olds who have never flown before coming through the school house as 2nd Lts in the guard. There are atleast three new KC-135 guard/reserve units opening up. Plus there are desprate units out there who will hire you if you will go some less than popular places. Fairbanks Alaska comes to mind.

For you civilian types, there has to be something out there someone else on this site knows about. So why don't we concentrate on getting some people temp employment instead of wasting our time wondering about when SWA might call when they are tighter lipped than...some one from the South help me out here with an analogy...

I am applying for some of these jobs I just listed myself. But I have a good job now and why be selfish and keep the info to myself? I figure what goes around comes around. So I hope that this helps.

The last guy has it right at. If SWA trains 30 a month a lot of us will still be here next summer. Take it from a guy who lost 150 future senority numbers cause the mil wouldn't give me leave for my type. ( I interviewed last June 2001, but wasn't allowed to take two weeks off until March 2002!!!) You gotta plan for the worst and hope for the best.

This may seem disjointed, but hell it is 1 am on a school night.

Latest resources

Back