SWA memphis

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hobiehawker said:
Swadude, I am sorry that my post brought out a rather personal response from RVR300.

No worries. One of the interesting sides of this type of format is some get to hide behind an alias and say what they normally wouldn't. One had better have a thick skin to partake in this kind of forum.

RVR is thinking that getting prep is some kind of mask that one wears to the interview and I think differently. Neither one will guarantee a result one way or another. I think he's getting frustrated that most if not all disagree with him.

Or maybe I'm senior and younger than him and that really pisses him off. ;)

Respectfully,

SWAdude :cool:

Last edited:
Hey SWAdude hire my buddy!!! Great guy :)

Send a pm to AlbieF15

Juvat said:
The first thing I did was to read Cheryl Cage's book: "Checklist for Success." It explains how you really need to know yourself and your personal flying history well enough before you can tell others your stories. I spent weeks looking over my logbooks and doing some soul searching to really understand "who I am."

The next thing I did was ask my wife to ask me some of the example interview questions out of Cage's book. About 3 questions into our mock interview, I said "I feel like a dork." My very kind and supportive wife agreed with me.

With that, I signed up for an interview prep session. I wasn't interested in getting a bunch of canned answers (nor was my paid consultant.) I just wanted to be able to correctly deliver what was already inside of me and struggling to get out. It was the best $300 I ever spent. When I went to my SWA interview, I felt relaxed, excited, and yes, a little bit nervous. But most of all, I knew who I was, and I knew how to present myself so that others could get to know me in a short period of time.

There are some interesting opinions in this thread, and I've enjoyed reading them. I like to see opposing points of view, especially from people who know what they're talking about (ie: SWA CAs with more time in the flare than I have total time). Since I just interviewed 6 months ago, and my pool time is going to end in 2 weeks (Jan 10 class!!), I thought I could add my .02 FWIW. I hope it helps.

Good luck to you!
needsumluv,
Emeraldcoastinterviewconsulting.com. He could possibly coordinate with you in Memphis. Juvat's advice above is excellent! Cheryl Cage's book will get you into the right mindset. I've heard many folks say either "prep" or "don't prep." In the end, it depends on you. Having wondered this same question, I decided to do a professional prep for a recent interview. I can honestly say I felt more prepared, open and relaxed to show the interviewers who I am. A good prep will help you focus on YOUR stories and bring out what makes YOU unique and different.
Writing down various questions and detailing how you would answer them (as previously stated) is an okay start...an even better approach is to go through your log book and write down your experiences (successes, failures, conflicts, etc.) that only you have experienced. Focusing on these experiences rather than particular questions will make your stories unique. I found that prepping gave me that little bit of confidence to better frame the story and, as ResumeWriter states, end it well too. You absolutely want to be yourself...canned and phony is not what they want - nor who you are either...the best way I can describe pre and post professional prep is this: pre - when I was asked a question, I thought of the best way to answer it, where to begin the story, oh, don't forget to smile, find meaning to what they asked and end it on a positive note; post - when asked a question, I was confident (and humble) in how to frame the story, relaxed and open to the interviewer. I accomplished the same amount of "stuff" as I did in the "pre," but I had fun during the "post" and smiled because I knew that what I was saying was the real me. That little bit of confidence is huge - and will let you really reveal the true you.

The fact that your on this forum searching for help is also telling about you as well - Good luck with the interview!

jtb

JTB,

Excellent post. I have a friend that used Emerald and another that used I think his name is Craig Thorton, a Southwest Pilot, and both gave high remarks. The one that used Craig said he is extremely busy and almost couldn't get an appointment in time.

I also asked them about the preparation and if they would have looked prepared and they both said no. They said it wasn't as much of a mock interview as much as it was how to approach the big day. Neither gave them a list of questions or anything of the sort. Although both had received a list of questions online to help them jog their memories.

After all this discussion why would anyone reccommend not to get the preparation?

After reading this thread a couple times I have come to the conclussion that RVR300 is a prima donna. Just because he has interviewed once and he "knows" an interviewer he is an expert on the subject. I know a few SWA pilots and he certaintly doesn't act like one. Another one slips through the cracks. He is luckier than most to have that job. Show some humility man!!

GUYS, this isn't rocket science! Sheesh!

Have some confidence in yourselves.

End of story. Prep, don't prep, dismiss what I've said, or don't.

If you want me to look like the bad guy, then you go girl.

I have no doubt SWAdude and I both have your best interests at heart, but we disagree on methodology. Why keep something simple when you can split its atoms?

Hope everyone has a great and safe 2005. Those of you waiting on the Jan 11th DB, best of luck to you and look forward to buying you all all beers.

RVR300 said:
GUYS, this isn't rocket science! Sheesh!

Have some confidence in yourselves.

End of story. Prep, don't prep, dismiss what I've said, or don't.

If you want me to look like the bad guy, then you go girl.

I have no doubt SWAdude and I both have your best interests at heart, but we disagree on methodology. Why keep something simple when you can split its atoms?

Hope everyone has a great and safe 2005. Those of you waiting on the Jan 11th DB, best of luck to you and look forward to buying you all all beers.

What are you Manic? You are such an ass. :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back