• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA memphis

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I tend to agree with some of RVR300’s points here. I speak from the perspective of someone who invested heavily in many of the airline prep services available – job seminars, interview prep, books, resume services, etc. I, like many others, felt like I would be doing myself a disservice unless I went to every length available to be the best prepared candidate in this competitive job market.

Now that I’m at the post-interview part of this process, I’m of the opinion that I would have been fine if I trusted my instincts along the way. I’ve used some of the popularly touted services on this board and have been disappointed in a few areas. I’d caution guys not to feel disadvantaged if they choose to prep without them. There are no magic bullets out there. If you have a reasonably good head on your shoulders, study the company, gather the gouge, and have the discipline to study/work on basic interview skills you will be successful. I think face-to-face interview practice is a big help, but there are other venues for this.

Prior to the prep service, I studied the airline interview books by Cheryl Cage and Irv Jasinski, attended a free military-sponsored interview workshop, and listened to some smart advice from my buds who worked at the company I was applying to. The prep service really didn’t cover much ground that I hadn’t already discovered.

Overall, I’m empathetic to those who express frustration with some of the career assistance services that seem a bit opportunistic. Though I garnered some good advice along the way, I certainly overpaid and even experienced some unprofessional treatment along the way. I’m not too happy to see the same happening to other pilots who are pulling out the stops to reach their career goals.

I’m sure there are cases where a professional airline interview coach is the right choice, but you may want to consider taking stock in yourself before you feel compelled to use one. If you have the qualifications have landed major airline interview, you are probably savvy and smart enough to pave your own road to preparing for the interview with a little bit of work. Now that I’m at the end of the road, I understand why RVR300 says “this isn’t rocket science.”

I agree that its not for everyone. Some will do just fine without. Others will not be offered positions with the service. As a civilian I spent many thousands of dollars on my career to learn and improve on my flying skills and ratings. I still spend money from time to time on my trade. The heartburn some have on this thread was the advice to just plainly without exception to not use the service. This was given to someone that no one really knows and they were seeking information for these services.

It is truly an individual decision that should be respected and understood one way or another.

"I’m sure there are cases where a professional airline interview coach is the right choice, but you may want to consider taking stock in yourself before you feel compelled to use one. If you have the qualifications have landed major airline interview, you are probably savvy and smart enough to pave your own road to preparing for the interview with a little bit of work."

I can honestly say that most people who I had interviewed that are obviously qualified did not interview well. And if we feel like we didn't get to know you, we would not recommend the candidate to the decision committee for hire. If we are the least bit uncertain, we will not recommend. Our futures can depend on this approach. So much of the interview is based on the small talk away from the questions that can be rather challenging. If one is more relaxed they generally do better in answering the questions more confidently and then are also more relaxed with the small talk. Please remember its not really the answers you give, it is how the interviewers feel about you. There is a tremendous amount of subjectivity involved.

Not everyone can benefit from the service. Some, no matter how much preparation they pay for and receive, will never be offered a position with Southwest Airlines because they are not a fit. They could interview a hundred times and never get a job. And as a person that desires the long term security of my position I don't want them to work here. For me and my families future I desire to always get the people that will help secure my future with SWA. But at the same time I encourage every pilot to try the best they can and I truly hope that each and every one of them find long term success in this rather challenging business.

SWAdude :cool:

Topper,

I'm just curious. You say your in the post-interview part of this process. Have you been offered a position?

Thanks

Of all the things I did prep-wise that helped gear me for success in the process, actually interviewing was the best prep of all. I sent resumes out by the pound and interviewed at a couple of places at which I was hoping I would probably not have to work, but figured, A) the interview experience would be good, and B) it's always good to have a backup plan.
That turned out to be a positive move. Besides being offered two jobs with companies as potential backups (5 offers total), I had the confidence of knowing I had success in previous interviews and I also learned of things I wished I had done differently. Nothing I did, including formal prep, sim prep, conventions, etc. was a waste of time. All of it contributed to me landing good jobs.
Or you can just sit back and think you are good to go. I view that as a risky proposition. Good luck all.

Last edited:
Topper said:
I tend to agree with some of RVR300’s points here. I speak from the perspective of someone who invested heavily in many of the airline prep services available – job seminars, interview prep, books, resume services, etc. I, like many others, felt like I would be doing myself a disservice unless I went to every length available to be the best prepared candidate in this competitive job market.

I’ve used some of the popularly touted services on this board and have been disappointed in a few areas. I’d caution guys not to feel disadvantaged if they choose to prep without them.

Overall, I’m empathetic to those who express frustration with some of the career assistance services that seem a bit opportunistic. Though I garnered some good advice along the way, I certainly overpaid and even experienced some unprofessional treatment along the way. I’m not too happy to see the same happening to other pilots who are pulling out the stops to reach their career goals.

I'm curious if you told any of the people that helped you whether you thought they were "opportunistic" and that you "overpaid" them. Did you give them a chance to make things right if you were'nt satisfied? It seems like you're probably the type of person that b*tches about bad service when you have dinner, but never tell the mgmt to try to make it right.

Tell us how these people treated you unprofessionally? That's a pretty rough claim to make without telling the story.

Someone else asked if you got the position. I'm curious to know as well. If you didn't, do you think it might be because of something in your history? If you did get the position, do you think that maybe it was because you were prepared by these people that you complain about?

I think it's pretty chickensh*t that you come on here and complain, but don't have the balls to tell these people personally.

Hobiehawker said:
Topper,

I'm just curious. You say your in the post-interview part of this process. Have you been offered a position?

Thanks

I think 5 days is enough time to let this guy answer the question and assume he didn't get the job. So lets blame everyone but...hmmmm......himself. It couldn't have been him. He is way too self-confident and good and great to be turned down. It was the Interview Prep that did it!!!

Just a good example of another self-rightous pilot like Donna who just doesn't get it.

Sy-bill said:
I think 5 days is enough time to let this guy answer the question and assume he didn't get the job. So lets blame everyone but...hmmmm......himself. It couldn't have been him. He is way too self-confident and good and great to be turned down. It was the Interview Prep that did it!!!

Just a good example of another self-rightous pilot like Donna who just doesn't get it.

I have been thinking the same thing. I thought I would give him a little more time to respond.

I really don't think I want to take advice from someone who didn't get the job and shows bitterness.

Is anyone else glad....

....that RVR and the Dude are both Capts, so they will never fly with one another. Something tells me the CRM in that cockpit will be as fff'd up as a football bat.

RVR: let me me just suggest this (because I DO believe you are well intended and that you DO think you are correct in your assertions)....your telling people they don't need prep (your original point...not your later point about taking one if it makes you comfortable) because you didn't use a prep course is flawed. If you didn't need the prep GREAT for you...you are the type of person that cranks through an interview flawlessly. Some aren't quite as lucky. Using your logic, pilots shouldn't get some sim time before going in for an interview that entails flying a sim. True, some may not need it but others may.

It's like a friend of mine who is an Orthopedic Surgeion telling me "..oh, med school was a breeze...you'd have no problem getting through it." Riiiiiiiiiiiiight! was my resonse. I can't spell M.D.

1-tacan-rule said:
....that RVR and the Dude are both Capts, so they will never fly with one another. Something tells me the CRM in that cockpit will be as fff'd up as a football bat.

You are talking about RVR aren't you.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with SWAdude's approach with his assertions. He was very respectful in his approach to this topic until RVR started on his personal rants. I respect that he stuck up for himself and called RVR out. He even gave RVR the last word, twice, and supported both points of view.

CRM isn't about being pushed around by an a$$hole. Its about keeping the task at hand a priority over personal issues.

You are judging this forum as ones ability at exercising good CRM. Which is equally as fff'd up as a football bat.

Latest resources

Back