• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Makes emergency landing in Yuma AZ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/peopleandpower/2010/12/20101214104637901849.html

This video is an hour long but explains how the fuselage sections made in KS are supposed to be CNC'd but are instead cut by hand (photo proof as well).

When the sections reach Boeing they don't fit/align so the sections are beat into place. Since the rivet holes don't line up new ones must be drilled. Oh and the sections lack some corrosion coating so Boeing grabs an aresol spray can of comparable color.

Yes, it's Aljazeera but the FAA, NTSB, Boeing and the Justice Dept have know about this for years. The Justice Dept was even nice enough to rat out the whistle blowers to Boeing.

I can't think of one transport category airframe that hasn't had serious problems of some kind-and the 737 is the most prolific airliner in history-
So Just relax- no one can say that Wn is unscrutinized in the last 5 years- our mx programs have been under the microscope by every authority possible- this'll get handled-

DC-9 series, built like a tank. Southwest will love the 717.

How much sheetmetal work have you done?

I've done it. And I'm no longer on here bashing SWA every thread so you might consider that.

It's the one of the very few things that SWA does not do well. It's an easy fix, really. Top notch sheetmetal isn't too much more than average/poor. Just has to become an emphasis.

I don't think it would be entirely inappropriate for you to mention that to your SWAPA safety guys....

Edit: I'm checking out of this thread. I don't want to get caught up in some spat with you guys. I don't know that there are "SWA haters", so much as there are a group of SWA pilots on here that absolutely can not accept any critique or suggestion...

Can't accept critique? That's a lot different than tossing a grenade saying our repair work, that happens to be designed by Boeing and sanctioned, observed and reviewed by the FAA is substandard.

Gup

To all you Southwest haters...... Enjoy, your time now.

I love seeing all the SW haters on this board, it validates the fact that we are kicking their ass :crying:. Everyone hates the Yankees too, just cant stand being beat by a better team. Keep on posting losers......:laugh:

If this is a manufacturing (Boeing) problem, why hasnt anyone else grounded their variants for metal fatigue inspections.

Are you sure that they haven't?

As soon as the "experts" on CNN, Faux etc. figure out that other airlines fly the SAME airplane, it might actually make the news. But SW bashing is so much more fun, right?

:edit: This 9http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2011/04/united_airlines_flight_makes_e.html)happened almost hours ago, yet we are still "breaking news" on Faux! :edit: United reall ought to take better care of their airplanes, right?

This is clearly a metal fatigue/manufacturing issue. It wasn't the result of an improperly installed part or the manner in which it was operated. In an effort to lighten up the airframe, Boeing changed the way they built the last versions of the -300 (which includes the aircraft being discussed). The enlarged the lightening holes on the inner panels, and changed the way that they were bonded to the outer panels.

Like every other airline, these aircraft are maintained and operated to standards set by Boeing and the FAA. Stuff still happens.

I am amazed at how some of you "professionals" are painting this incident. You should know better, but alas, this is FI.

Last edited:
How much sheetmetal work have you done?

I've done it. And I'm no longer on here bashing SWA every thread so you might consider that.

It's the one of the very few things that SWA does not do well. It's an easy fix, really. Top notch sheetmetal isn't too much more than average/poor. Just has to become an emphasis.

I don't think it would be entirely inappropriate for you to mention that to your SWAPA safety guys....

Edit: I'm checking out of this thread. I don't want to get caught up in some spat with you guys. I don't know that there are "SWA haters", so much as there are a group of SWA pilots on here that absolutely can not accept any critique or suggestion...

I've done my share of sheet metal work, and can't see your point. The sheet metal work done on the older SW 737s was done to correct a manufacturing defect (the roof peeling off). None have peeled off since, so I guess our "subpar" sheet metal work is doing alright.

Give me one example of lousy sheet metal work done on our aircraft. Other than fixing Boeing's mistakes, of course!

Critique is fine, especially when it's valid. This is not the case here. We have a bunch of guys jumping all over SW in response to the media blowing this way out of proportion. Every person walked off that airplane, and they're treating it like they did Valujet. Gotta love slow news days!

Like every other airline, these aircraft are maintained and operated to standards set by Boeing and the FAA. Stuff still happens.

You can have all the inspectors and written manuals you want in place. They're worthless if not followed properly. SWA has a documented problem with MX compliance and in particular, metal fatigue.

You can have all the inspectors and written manuals you want in place. They're worthless if not followed properly. SWA has a documented problem with MX compliance and in particular, metal fatigue.

We've been under very close scrutiny by the feds for years. Yet this still happened. Why do you think that is?

Provide a source or put a sock in it..

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back