SWA Makes emergency landing in Yuma AZ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bill,

In the past year Delta has been fined $2 million for treatment of disabled customers, $375,000 for abusing canceled compensation policies, $100,000 for delayed bag policies.

Shall I continue?

Gup

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I gotta say that doesn't bother me as much, as say, worrying about whether my a/c is airworthy or not because somebody is not doing their job.

I'm not blaming SWA either, waiting for the NTSB before passing my irrelevant judgement.

Carry on

And..... Kudos to the crew!!!

Last edited:
What does watching Fox have to do with hating SWA? Kind of left field, don't ya think? Sounds like you might have deeper issues.

I guess, you might have missed Fox News coverage of this event. If its true, you didn't watch it - then you're lucky. Fox News are Southwest haters too...

I guess, you might have missed Fox News coverage of this event. If its true, you didn't watch it - then you're lucky. Fox News are Southwest haters too...

Don't take it personal, Fox news will say anything about anyone if it has a chance to boost the ratings. Whatever they said, I would say it is more a poor reflection on their style of "news" coverage than it is saying anything legitimate about SWA.

...and geez, you guys are still bashing SWA on this. Pretty much every airline has had similar issues. AK with the Jack screw deal, DAL had all kinds of issues in the 90's, AirTran/ValueJet, AMR with the MD 80's before that DC-10 issues. Hawaiian made 60 minutes back in the 80's. Even Qantas is getting hammered in the press in Australia, etc etc. It happens, none of us are immune and none of us are perfect.

...and geez, you guys are still bashing SWA on this. Pretty much every airline has had similar issues. AK with the Jack screw deal, DAL had all kinds of issues in the 90's, AirTran/ValueJet, AMR with the MD 80's before that DC-10 issues. Hawaiian made 60 minutes back in the 80's. Even Qantas is getting hammered in the press in Australia, etc etc. It happens, none of us are immune and none of us are perfect.

Well said Dan. I completely agree!

Air Canada 797-dc-9-32- 23 fatalities fire beginning in lav
"...1979, the plane, then serving as Air Canada Flight 680 (Boston, Massachusetts to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia), had suffered an explosive decompression in the rear bulkhead that required rebuilding the tail section and replacing or splicing most of the wiring and hydrau"

Air tran Flt 956, 2000- ATL- dc-9-32- very similar, but lessons learned by the crew

As of March 2009, the DC-9 has been involved in 117 incidents, including 101 hull-loss accidents,[15] with 2,135 fatalities.[16]
Number built: 976

As of May 2010, a total of 303 incidents involving 737s had occurred,[118] including 148 hull-loss accidents[119] resulting in a total of 4,097 fatalities
Number built: 6,687

As of March 2009, the Boeing 717 has been involved in 5 incidents,[30] with no hull-loss accidents and no fatalities.[31] The incidents included an on-ground collision, a hard landing and one attempted hijacking.[30]
Number built: 156

========================
data like this only makes it clear that we can't take our jobs for granted and
must be ready- aviation history has been written in blood and burnt flesh- but no one can throw stones in the fragile glass house of aviation

But I do think we'll love the 717- for a while anyway

All very true.

Last edited:
newest in on reason newspeople "report the darndest thing":

When asking about the more frequent cycles on SWA 73's, NBC just called SWA's type of flying as "shorthaul, commuter" flying.

nice

If this is a manufacturing (Boeing) problem, why hasnt anyone else grounded their variants for metal fatigue inspections.

Are you guys really not smart enough to realize this was a flaw in the Boeing production line? There are a certain number of planes that were skinned 'slightly' different than the ones prior to them and after them.

The AD coming out shortly will affect more than just the Southwest jets, but Southwest had the majority of the faulty planes.

Anything more than the facts is just flame bait.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...RTED?SITE=MIDTN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Federal aviation officials readied an order Monday for emergency inspections on 80 U.S.-registered Boeing 737 jetliners like the one on which a piece of fuselage tore open more than 30,000 feet above Arizona last week.

The order, to be issued Tuesday, is aimed at finding weaknesses in the metal in the fuselage, but virtually all of the affected aircraft will have already been inspected by the time the order takes effect.

The safety directive applies to about 175 aircraft worldwide, including 80 planes registered in the U.S., the Federal Aviation Administration said. Of those 80, nearly all are operated by Southwest. Two belong to Alaska Airlines

Bill,

In the past year Delta has been fined $2 million for treatment of disabled customers, $375,000 for abusing canceled compensation policies, $100,000 for delayed bag policies.

Shall I continue?

Gup

Could any of those actions KILL SOMEONE??

Shall I Continue? or will your airline just do responsible maintenance?

Latest resources

Back