• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Makes emergency landing in Yuma AZ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have nothing against SW. I have something against the operation of unsafe airplanes.

Boeing aircraft have had uncommanded flight control inputs resulting in several crashes, they have had uncommanded thrust reduction to idle resulting in a 777 crash and several close calls, and they have had numerous structural failures of their fuselage in very recent history.

The FAA, airlines, and pilots need to step up their game when operating these Boeing aircraft. I only mentioned pilots because it was the Aloha first officer who missed the crack on their 737 when even a passenger noticed it during boarding and resulted in the death of a flight attendant.

This is clearly a Boeing issue, yet you turned it into a SW issue. Boeing and the FAA come up with the maintenance and inspection procedures, and operators follow them. You said that "informed" passengers are gonna boycott SW because of this. Informed passengers will more likely look at our 40 year safety record.

Airbii disposajets haven't killed anyone right?

I assume all heavy checks are outsourced at SW, as is most of SW's non-line mx right?

Anyone know who does it (AAR in IND?) and when this a/c's last check was done?

Airbii disposajets haven't killed anyone right?

Actually, I can't think of an example. The Air France flying into a thunderstorm is the closest I can think of or maybe the A300 where the pilots went full deflection on the rudders in both directions (outside of design limits for any commerical aircraft as explained to me by the 737 test pilots who were getting their A320 type rating).

All the Airbus accidents I can think of have been human error.

SWA airplanes have lot's of sheetmetal repairs, and most of the repairs are very poorly done. Boeing problem? They didn't build like that and they wouldn't repair them that way either. No one reputable would....

I have heard rumors that Southwest has started having a lot of its maintenance done in Central America...is this true?

I want to see Southwest be successful, but not at the expense of maintenance costs or American jobs. I see this more as an industry problem than an airline problem. I would like to see the FAA require that all U.S. Certificated Airlines conduct mainenance at a U.S. repair facility. As soon as one airline starts having foreign repairs at minimal costs, good airlines like Southwest are forced to do the same to remain cost competitive.

I have heard rumors that Southwest has started having a lot of its maintenance done in Central America...is this true?

I want to see Southwest be successful, but not at the expense of maintenance costs or American jobs. I see this more as an industry problem than an airline problem. I would like to see the FAA require that all U.S. Certificated Airlines conduct mainenance at a U.S. repair facility. As soon as one airline starts having foreign repairs at minimal costs, good airlines like Southwest are forced to do the same to remain cost competitive.

Yes it's true. As does JetBlue, Airtran, Delta, United, UsAirways etc..etc... Nice to know people who are used to working on mud huts are now "aircraft mechanics" But hey, at least we have low air fares and well paid CEO's.

SWA airplanes have lot's of sheetmetal repairs, and most of the repairs are very poorly done. Boeing problem? They didn't build like that and they wouldn't repair them that way either. No one reputable would....

Well, this one was never "repaired" by SW. It was as it came from the factory.

Thanks for playing!

Why did they divert to Yuma? Seems out of the way.

Latest resources

Back