• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA LF's continue slump

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What good is market share if you lose money by having it? SWA doesn't believe in losing money just to have braggin rights on market share. I believe Delta has market share in ATL, at a loss. USAirways has it in PHL PIT & CLT -$$. Need I say more.

Great point. Another great point is the fact that SWA can make money (or not lose as much money) at such low load factors. An even better point is that you could easily argue that among pax flying pilots, SWA pilots are well compensated, and EVERYBODY else's compensation sucks.

Our load factors are still higher than they were in the late '90's early 2000, when everyone was making money like crazy. It's the yield, and Gary hasn't told me how well the yield has been lately, so I would not assume the worst yet.

Let's talk about yield per market or the percentage of growth as compared with added markets. Anything that has to do with the production of a bottom line positive number.

Reminds me of a meeting I was once at. A bunch of CEO's in the same industry were asked what market share they were going to get. The numbers all added up to a cummlative 133% of the market. Someone was obviously wrong.

jball2 said:
What good is market share if you lose money by having it? SWA doesn't believe in losing money just to have braggin rights on market share. I believe Delta has market share in ATL, at a loss. USAirways has it in PHL PIT & CLT -$$$. Need I say more.
I noticed you didn't include AirTran, Jetblue, or AWA in those comparisons.;)

canyonblue said:
Our load factors are still higher than they were in the late '90's early 2000, when everyone was making money like crazy. It's the yield, and Gary hasn't told me how well the yield has been lately, so I would not assume the worst yet.
SWAs bottom line will do just fine in the next two reporting quarters.......hell it's that money making time of year.

What is causing a buzz up in ol Herbie's head is the trend. Remember the trend is your friend when it's going up. When it's going down in a strong ridership market, then there is reason for concern.

Southwest flew 5.7 billion revenue passenger miles (RPMs) in August, a 13.7 percent increase from the 5.0 billion RPMs flown in August 2004. Available seat miles (ASMs) increased 12.2 percent to 7.5 billion from the August 2004 level of 6.6 billion. The load factor for the month was 76.1 percent, compared to 75.1 percent for the same period last year.

For the eight months ending on August 31, Southwest flew 40.3 billion RPMs, compared to the 36.3 billion RPMs recorded for the same period of 2004?an increase of 11.2 percent. Available seat miles increased 12.0 percent to 56.4 billion from the 2004 level of 50.3 billion. The year-to-date load factor was 71.5 percent, compared to 72.1 percent for the same period last year.

Last edited:
skykid said:
UAL pulled down North America about 13% and increased international about the same - a smart move in my opinion. Post your Asian numbers so we can compare those.

That post your asian numbers thing is getting tired as lonly wacker himself.

But on a serious note. I really think it is about on time performance. Full airplanes all the time have been making it hard to turn airplanes in 20 minutes. Raise prices to bring down the lf a little, and help on time performance. Also make a few extra bucks for a couple of quarters.

Everyone better cancel their SWA interviews and pull out of the SWA pool. Things are getting really bad at SWA. Then all the prospectives that have confidence in SWA's future will go to the front of the line.

stones and glass houses....

skykid said:
Great point. Another great point is the fact that SWA can make money (or not lose as much money) at such low load factors. An even better point is that you could easily argue that among pax flying pilots, SWA pilots are well compensated, and EVERYBODY else's compensation sucks.

SKYKID...be very careful about throwing stones in glass houses. SWA, B6, Airtran (fill in the name) are ALL extremely vulnerable in today's airline industry. SWA will not be profitable after the fuel hedging expires. I remember some of us at the legacy carriers who were pretty cocky after our contracts came out in the early 00's....we foolishly complained that SWA was keeping the bar low with their pay....whoa! now look at us....history has a very evil way of repeating itself, so enjoy the ride at the top and try to force yourself to be humble!

carry on!

Latest resources

Back