Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey jetflier,

Why dont you tell us how much better you guys are at NWA:

"A Northwest Airlines pilot's decision to shut down an engine, combined with a hydraulic problem, caused the May 2005 ground collision of two Northwest jets at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, federal investigators have concluded.
The Boeing DC-9 pilot's action just after landing in the Twin Cities meant that the plane lost all power to its steering, brakes and thrust reversers, causing it to strike an Airbus A319 that was being pushed back from a gate, according to a report issued last week by the National Transportation Safety Board.
The report detailed the events leading up to the accident and the investigation.
The DC-9, with 94 passengers on board, experienced problems with its right-side hydraulic system that powers its steering and brakes soon after leaving Columbus, Ohio. The captain decided to continue flying and declared an emergency as the plane neared the Twin Cities' airport.
After landing, the captain shut down the left engine, which powered the only fully functioning hydraulic system. As a result, the flight crew couldn't steer the plane or use the brakes and thrust reversers. The DC-9 hit a wing of the A319, with 38 passengers aboard, damaging the DC-9's cockpit and spilling fuel. Both planes were evacuated. The DC-9 pilot was seriously injured and seven passengers and crewmembers from both planes had minor injuries.
The NTSB report cited a "fatigue fracture" of the DC-9's rudder shutoff valve, which caused the loss of right-side hydraulic pressure, as a contributing factor in the accident.
Since the accident, Northwest developed an inspection procedure for its fleet in which "any rudder shutoff valve found to have a crack indication was replaced prior to further flight," said company spokesman Roman Blahoski. He declined to comment on the NTSB report.
A spokesman for Air Line Pilots Association at Northwest said the union could not comment on the report.
The NTSB report noted that Northwest recorded 38 instances of DC-9 rudder shutoff-valve housing failures from May 2000 to April 2005. "Northwest reported that they were aware of the cracked valve housings of the rudder shutoff valve prior to the accident" and after a 2003 analysis, according to the report. "The failure of the valve by itself was not determined to be a safety of flight issue and was therefore deemed solely a reliability issue."

Might wanna check your glass house, Jetflier.

Glass House ? (huh) I just posted the letters of others from another web site that were quoted as being sent to Congress and the DOT.

Your comment about Glass Houses means that you agree that WN has some issues like NW Has. Good for you.

The topics of discussion are not aimed at you personally, why take it that way?

The airline industry as a whole has been going through many changes, most of which are controlled by the dollar and executives looking for bonuses to enhance their earnings at the expense of safety. We are the stop gap, period. Safety must come first for ourselves, our crew and most importantly, our passengers who pay our salary.

As professionals we are charged with the ultimate responsibility of the safety of the flight.

There are no options. Whatever decisions we make as PIC or SIC are final. Some of us play it close, weather for financial gain or other reasons, but the final responsibility remains with the crew.

There are turds at every airline and we all know that. Don't be a turd.

Yeah doing favors for controllers, like asking for direct anything to shave off a net 20 seconds or so. I heard a gaggle of SW bubbas suggesting directs and then whining about the vectoring going into Hobby yesterday because of weather west of Houston. It gets old, you'll get there when you freaking get there.

Ask any controller who they'd rather work? Someone who clogs up the system bc they apparently won't do anything to save time-(paid by the minute...!)(protect the block!) or the occassional over zealous SW pilot looking to save time. at least atc knows 9 in 10 times we'll be ready and if the request is possible we'll be able to do it. the safety record speaks for itself.

I'm just saying the safety card is played way too much at the legacies that I've seen. It makes it harder to address real safety of flight items. Half the time you're simply padding your check bc your mgmt or union screwed you on the last contract. I'm not unsympathetic- do what you think you got to do- just leave sw out of it

PURE BS and Flame Bait. SWA Has the best Safety record of any Major Airline that has been around for 38 years.
How about ATA? Not a single hull loss the entire time they were in operation.

A few months back I had a "first". SWA asked center for something direct....for ME! "Hey center, why don't you give Continental a short cut so we can get one?" And the controller did it for them! Told me to go direct AEX, straight into the wx. I politely declined. Of course that made me the f-in legacy guy who pads his paycheck.

Latest resources

Back