• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA letters to

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Someone please tell the author of those letters that the FAA is, indeed, listening. I had two feds doing linechecks over this last four day trip......and they both fell asleep! By the way, SWA does things safer and better than the legacy I spent four years at.

Yeah, I bet they do, I mean, who needs auto brakes, auto throttles, and that pesky HUD just keeps getting in the way of seeing the gas station at the end of they runway!

Think for a minute

To a man, those SWA pilots who went off the end of a long runway(just not SAC long) were USAF trained.

For the record,

I am not a SWA pilot, I am not USAF or a military-trained pilot.

This thread is way out of hand. I know the FO from the MDW incident. He was not trained by the USAF. If you don't have your facts straight, don't say anything. It really doesn't matter where he was trained. SWA found him to be a qualified pilot and he had an unfortunate event occur that will stay with him the rest of his life.

This entire thread is completely useless.

For those of you that find pleasure in criticizing other pilots or their lack of good fortune, you are doing nothing to contribute to our profession. Stop and think for a minute how awful it would feel to be responsible for killing a young boy who just happpened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Think about that.

We have all been "lucky" at some point in our careers. (It's better to be lucky than good sometimes.) But for the most part, we learn from our mistakes. Accusing other airlines and their pilots of purposely operating unsafely is wrong. We all push the envelope sometimes, but never purposely cross that line.

The FAA knew about the parts (that have nothing to do with safety) two years ago, and just decided to do something about it it this past week. Sounds like it really isn't a big deal if the FAA knew about it 2 YEARS AGO!!!

Hey,Raol Duke,

You Said "safety is not a tool to pressure management". If that's your opinion then what's your recommended tool to pressure management?

Isn't WN in contract negotiations now?

Yeah doing favors for controllers, like asking for direct anything to shave off a net 20 seconds or so. I heard a gaggle of SW bubbas suggesting directs and then whining about the vectoring going into Hobby yesterday because of weather west of Houston. It gets old, you'll get there when you freaking get there.

not to be an ass.. but.. well the economies of scale.. 20 sec * 3300 flights a day = 66,000 seconds aka 1100 minutes or 18 hours 15 minutes at day at ~4400llbs/hr = ~80,700llbs or 11,500 gallons a day or about 4 1/4 million gallons a year.. which depending on fuel prices is worth about $10 million dollers for my company....

all this just from taking a few seconds to ask for a shortcut.... ummm.. hell yea!!!!

actually.....per passenger seat mile flown the safest airline is/was Northwest. I think that's actually over it's 79 year history. Just statistics.

Latest resources

Back