Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA letters of "Thanks but no thanks, see ya next year.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maryland Asshat

Maryland -

Before you continue patting yourself on the back that you are "one of the elite," socially adept overachievers with your "unique" handle on what it takes to be a good pilot, maybe you should reflect a little on your own words and hypocrisy. The following are the words of a self-indulgent asshat, namely, you:

"We hire good people and pilots." (OK, so if nobody cares about technical skills, what constitutes a good pilot, to the point where you would differentiate between good people and good pilots?)

"Seems the people crying about it didn't get the job. The process worked well then." (But apparently didn't work well enough to weed malcontents like yourself out of the process)

"That's why we hire the best. The best encompasses a lot of adjectives and you clearly don't get it." (I'm in awe - that means that you're...OMG...one of the untouchables...I'm so honored)

"Thank God for our PD for weeding out the uninspired." (Awww...now I see it - SWA is looking for 'inspired' people, even if they can't read an approach plate...gotcha)

"Thank God you are not one of us." (If you are typical of 'us', thank God I'm not - holy sh!t, what a clown!)

"A freaking monkey can fly a plane it's the right person who can understand flying is 1/2 the quality of a pilot at SWA." (That blathering incoherent statement is reflective of someone who has chugging jet fuel WAY TOO LONG!)

"The PD weeds out the people who are socially challenged or less then customer service oriented." (And you know this how? That appears to be a blanket statement regarding people you don't know. The mathematical logic behind that is saying that those that have been turned down are socially challenged and less (sic) then (nice spelling, assclown) customer service oriented)

This one kills me - what an overcritical hypocrite:
"If you are going to contimplate the "cost" of getting one..." (It's spelled 'contemplate', not 'contimplate')

Followed immediately by (yep - you guessed it):
"And no, no one cares what you think but I had to spell correct your post. It was killing me." (See previous spelling corrections - they were killing me)

"Maybe you have the personality of a rock and the customer service attitude of a United pilot. Then I would say you are unqualified." (My, my...if that's what makes someone unqualified at SWA, I would say MOST people interviewing are HIGHLY qualified)

"Why is it pilots are also short sighted? Should they list that they require you not to be an asshat? Do you need everything spelled out for you?" (Here comes the condescending attitude again..how do you spell 'asshat?')

"As I clearly stated, but I know you can't see past your own thoughts, maybe they are good people but came accross poorly in the interview. Who cares about their technical backround? Any monkey can fly a plane." (I guess I missed that part where you stated anything close - can you point me in the direction where you said that?)

Maryland One - please, please, please...STFU. Have a nice day.:)

TheDogsBollocks said:
If SWA truly desires personality over technical ability.

I never said that....If you have the mins you have enough technical ability. Their desires are a well rounded candidate.

Who said you have to buy a type? Go back to the beginning of the string and read again.

Last edited:
jetalc said:
Maryland -

Before you continue patting yourself on the back that you are "one of the elite," socially adept overachievers with your "unique" handle on what it takes to be a good pilot, maybe you should reflect a little on your own words and hypocrisy. The following are the words of a self-indulgent asshat, namely, you:

"We hire good people and pilots." (OK, so if nobody cares about technical skills, what constitutes a good pilot, to the point where you would differentiate between good people and good pilots?)

"Seems the people crying about it didn't get the job. The process worked well then." (But apparently didn't work well enough to weed malcontents like yourself out of the process)

"That's why we hire the best. The best encompasses a lot of adjectives and you clearly don't get it." (I'm in awe - that means that you're...OMG...one of the untouchables...I'm so honored)

"Thank God for our PD for weeding out the uninspired." (Awww...now I see it - SWA is looking for 'inspired' people, even if they can't read an approach plate...gotcha)

"Thank God you are not one of us." (If you are typical of 'us', thank God I'm not - holy sh!t, what a clown!)

"A freaking monkey can fly a plane it's the right person who can understand flying is 1/2 the quality of a pilot at SWA." (That blathering incoherent statement is reflective of someone who has chugging jet fuel WAY TOO LONG!)

"The PD weeds out the people who are socially challenged or less then customer service oriented." (And you know this how? That appears to be a blanket statement regarding people you don't know. The mathematical logic behind that is saying that those that have been turned down are socially challenged and less (sic) then (nice spelling, assclown) customer service oriented)

This one kills me - what an overcritical hypocrite:
"If you are going to contimplate the "cost" of getting one..." (It's spelled 'contemplate', not 'contimplate')

Followed immediately by (yep - you guessed it):
"And no, no one cares what you think but I had to spell correct your post. It was killing me." (See previous spelling corrections - they were killing me)

"Maybe you have the personality of a rock and the customer service attitude of a United pilot. Then I would say you are unqualified." (My, my...if that's what makes someone unqualified at SWA, I would say MOST people interviewing are HIGHLY qualified)

"Why is it pilots are also short sighted? Should they list that they require you not to be an asshat? Do you need everything spelled out for you?" (Here comes the condescending attitude again..how do you spell 'asshat?')

"As I clearly stated, but I know you can't see past your own thoughts, maybe they are good people but came accross poorly in the interview. Who cares about their technical backround? Any monkey can fly a plane." (I guess I missed that part where you stated anything close - can you point me in the direction where you said that?)

Maryland One - please, please, please...STFU. Have a nice day.:)

How much time did you spend on that one. Have I gotten under your skin?

You clearly don't read well. www.Hookedonphonics.com might suit you.

Maryland One,

It's great that you defend your employer, but you're taking this all a little too far. I'm sure you're a good guy, but you're comin' across like a lonely rich kid stickin' his tongue out at the poor neighborhood kids as you drive through a rough section of town.

People here also have dreams, luckily you and I have realized ours, but don't be a pr!ck about it!

learflyer said:
Albie, this paragraph sums up the whole point of this thread. it is a GD beauty contest, and the guys are fed up with it.

...well get used to it because some things never change:)

TheDogsBollocks said:
Make the type a requirement ONLY after the conditional offer of employment.

Read the website, this is how it works. After an employment offer you have six months to get a type.

TexaSWA said:
Read the website, this is how it works. After an employment offer you have six months to get a type.

I think his concern is with the trend that without the type you probably won't get called. Someone posted earlier how getting the type, regardless of gaining employment, was still an educational and worthwile experience. I tend to agree. I'm glad to have gotten it and enjoyed learning about flying a heavy from fighter.

As for all the PFT discussions, no one was employed by SWA while paying for the type out of their own pocket and SWA doesn't seem to gain financially for all those going out to get the type, so I don't see how its PFT. I also paid for my ATP and I wouldn't consider that PFT. I think SWA is just setting it as one of the requirements for employment.

Last edited:
Maybe some of you guys should do as I'm attempting to do. I can't seem to interest SWA in interviewing me, and I doubt that I ever will. (I can't be much more qualified than I am now other than going Check airman, and my company doesn't seem to need any more Check Airmen. Besides, getting the job is a political process)

So, I just try to emulate the SWA attitude in my current job. My current employer, Spirit, is NOT Southwest and doesn't show any signs of every even trying to emulate Southwest in the way they deal with people. But, I finally realized that there is no reason why I can't just try and treat other people the way I want to be treated. ( I always have on a personal basis, but only recently have I attempted to actually influence others to do the same) It doesn't help me, either here or my chances of ever getting on with SWA, to keep carrying a grudge against SWA for failing to see that I'm a SWA kinda guy. So I try and use the energy positively instead of negatively.

I'll recommend that some of you attempt to do the same. Ironically, the biggest threat to SWA could come from airlines employing pilots who determine to make their airline as close to SWA as possible.

Note, I'm human like everyone else. Yes, I still occasionally let the rejection piss me off. I even occasionally comment on threads like this. Forgive me if I've appeared to be argumentive in said threads. No, I don't need a hug. :), just trying to keep it real.

enigma

bozt45 said:
I think his concern is with the trend that without the type you probably won't get called....

This may be the case now, but it hasnt always been, and most certainly will not be forever.

Truth be told, I myself think its a B.S. requirement. Not enough to stop me from going out and buying one myself and taking a chance, but B.S. none the less.

I do not agree with MarylandOne (?real SWA pilot?) in that it is designed as a tool to measure ones level of desire to work for SWA. Although it may be used as one.

It was simply a requirement from way back that has never been done away with. From what I understand there was a time where SWA benifitted somehow be it insurance, training, or whatever, but that those days are gone.

A simple reminder

To all,

Not everyone who purports to be a SWA pilot who posts on here may in fact be a SWA pilot. Folks can write anyway they feel but use good judgment (err on that side if possible) in evaluating if someone who sounds a little over the top about not just SWA but any airline may in fact be someone other than they say, after all there are many who just love to stir the pot.

Most of the pilots who are at Southwest have had their fair share of good friends, great guys/gals who haven't been hired. We all share in the frustration that has come through loud & clear by some on this thread & by our own friends. Enigma sums it up rather well, SWA hasn't cornered the market on good pilots & I certainly don't assume we have the "perfect" system. It is what it is & those critics of it can find plenty of fault in it. As Enigma said & I agree, those on the inside & outside must learn to deal with it. Anger toward a process that is outside of yours & my control while maybe therapeutic doesn't result in much change.

Using the "golden rule" to treat customers, fellow workers, future employees/employers, friends & strangers isn't a novel concept....the concept has been been around a long time...Enigma seems to get it, as many others do also, some who get interviewed & hired by SWA & others who don't but they still get it. Not every SWA employee gets up on the right side of the bed & meets these goals every day but if folks are consistently posting messages with a tone that doesn't reflect that type of mentality they are either

(1) Imposters claiming to be SWA employees
(2) Evidence the system isn't perfect (so acknowledged since they hired me:D )

Regardless, as Enigma says, apply the things that have been said over & over on here & by most SWA pilots when they are talking to folks about what is the key to success at getting hired, "make sure your 'nice-meter' is on high"...yes there is more to it than that but it isn't a bad start. Enigma I wish you good luck along with the others who are trying....you define professionalism with the approach you're taking, one that is worthy of emmulating by all of us. Cheers,

BTW, while the vast majority (I don't know the numbers sorry) of folks who are getting the call have their types, it is true there appears to be a very small number of folks who get an interview who don't have a type but that number is small. I would think the same thing could be said of folks with no 4 yr degree....the point is that to make categorical statements that "SWA won't call you unless you have (fill in the blank, hrs, PIC, Check Airman, 4 yr degree, type) is wrong....there is a cross section of folks from all levels from what I've observed & have been told....can one improve one's chances by having more of the squares filled? Possibly but that is a personal choice by the individual & not by SWA....again it isn't a value judgment on the many qualified applicants who are out there...any company sorts based upon some type of criteria, the debate on what that is & whether it is right will be filling more forum space in 6 months or less I'm sure as the next round of folks get to the point of applying & interviewing.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back