• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA is in position to dominate ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In conversation last night in Tampa SWA leadership was excited about competing in new markets. Adding planes is a real possibility. They also said approximately 125 engine changes last year on the B717.

I think your number may be a bit high.

The B717 can not keep an engine on pylon at any operator. The engine has gone through three upgrades and still eats itself.

Hawaiian is having the same issues.

If 125 is correct then every 717 we have has had one re-engine and 32 have had both engines changed. I think his numbers are a bit skewed.

Agreed. That sounds more like a "total number to date" for every 717 in the world rather than a one-operator (much less one year) number...

I've never understood what the big deal with ATL is, in regards to difficulty. It's one of the absolute easiest large airports to operate out of. The amount of jets launched off 2-3 runways in a ten minute period is quite a feat. Unless there's training t-storms over the field, it's overall a cakewalk. Even if you're number 10 in line you're talking 10-12 minutes max of wait time. Arrivals are equally as efficient. Even with summertime pop-ups in the area, the speed at which arrivals are processed is pretty amazing. It amazes me anyway, but I'm pretty easily amazed.

and it never hurts to know you'll have a tall cold one waiting for you at Spondivit's!

Agreed. That sounds more like a "total number to date" for every 717 in the world rather than a one-operator (much less one year) number...

Agreed, that number has got to be high. If they are power by the hour, why is it a big deal aside from operational problems a diversion creates?

Latest resources

Back