SWA Interview plans for January

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
a320drivr said:
I applied 10 days ago and got called tonight for a January interview. You can guess who I currently work for and I have no idea what to do. If I was offered a job at some point do I leave where I am now with a seniority level in the top 200?
I think you have to ask yourself what prompted you to apply at SWA. Was it a knee-jerk reaction to something that has been happening at your current company? Or is it that you believe in the core values that SWA has at their company?

No company is the perfect place to work. If you see problems at one company, then you will see that at any company. You have to look at what your beliefs are and then find a company to match those beliefs. There must have been a reason that you applied at your current company. Are those reasons the same for SWA?

Kathy

The engines are V2500's. I am totally happy where I work now and I guess I applied out of a knee jerk reaction to the thought of a few money losing quarters that are predicted. SWA and my current employer share the same company values although the idea of having SWAPA there as a back up sounds good. I dont think I could handle a $100,000 a yr pay cut though even though SWA is the more secure job. Sure would like to fly a Boeing again though.

Go 4 It

a320drivr said:
The engines are V2500's. I am totally happy where I work now and I guess I applied out of a knee jerk reaction to the thought of a few money losing quarters that are predicted. SWA and my current employer share the same company values although the idea of having SWAPA there as a back up sounds good. I dont think I could handle a $100,000 a yr pay cut though even though SWA is the more secure job. Sure would like to fly a Boeing again though.
The worst thing you can do is fall in love with being a Captain and making $100+ g's a year. I know, I did it, and am getting ready to pay the price. If you have the opportunity to work quality outfit like SWA, go for it and never look back.

I fell in love (no pun intenended) with my employer after being hired in 1997. Great people, Captain in 2 years, decent contract, Check Airmen, the whole nine yards. After the start of ATA's decline this summer, I decided to read "Nuts". After reading the book, I came away with two feelings; one, this company is full of quality people that have many of the same personal philosophies that I do, and two, I messed up royally not reading "Nuts" five years earlier, falling in love with my seat, and letting my wallet get in the way of my good judgement.

Don't make the same mistake. Good Luck.

JMHO

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

It is nice to be in a position to have to decide !!! Do what you thik is right and never look back...because hind sight is always 20-20....I applied in Dec. of 2002 and haven't heard a peep!!! I'm running out of time since I'm very involved in aviation but not flying...Good Luck to all...X-X-X Pilot 3 time furlough.

"I applied 10 days ago and got called tonight for a January interview."

Well I guess that proves that the process at SWA is not random and that they definitely are interviewing on a preference based system. Too bad for the folks that have had their apps in before the "bad times hit" Not to mention all the apps that had their type paid for by the gov. after they were furloughed for choosing the wrong airline. I guess the days of SWA choosing guys that really want to work for the airline are over. Sorta starting to resemble the days of United when hiring was going to continue "indefinatly."

Last edited:
Hey SODA,

I have no frickin idea why I got called so quick. I know one person at SWA and he didnt even know I applied. Maybe because I was a former B737 Capt? Beats me. I asked the lady that called me from SWA why I got called so quick and all she said was "you have exactly what we are looking for and your name popped up in the data base right away"

I have a buddy at SWA, and he was informed by the people Dept that with the new on-line app it is possible to get a quick call. SWA HR dept can now put in parameters for who they want to interview. If they want to interview 5,000 hr female pilots with a 737type then that is what the computer will kick out.

If this system is in place then that would explain a320drvr 10day call. Whatever the case good luck a320.

Chase can you verify this info. Would be nice to know if it works this way.

January Interviews

Just got the January interview schedule by email. Three weeks of four days each, starting on 10 Jan as Chase mentioned. I can't tell by the email if we're going to add a team to interview more each day.

As far as preferential selection. The HR folks control the input variables to the computer data base. I believe they tweak it from time to time, but they do NOT make wholesale changes to it. It is very conceivable to have an individual apply who meets the parameters in the sytem exactly. By definition, he would go straight to the top - lucky him!

Good luck to all,
Cheers

Dear Soda,

Yes it can be frustrating but what was outlined by Bye&SAir is exactly right. How then can someone like yourself (don't know your particulars but this can apply to anyone who has applied) not get the call while others are getting called with backgrounds that "appear" similiar.

The computer that the PD uses to sort or devise the "current" criteria for calling folks is as diverse as the application you filled out. You & others may believe they have "better qualifications" than others who have applied. You are probably right but SWA doesn't sort out "better" to mean having applied earlier, having more hours, more PIC time, references within SWA, military vs. civilian, furloughed, 121/135/91 time, etc. Again remember the form. No two folks in their database of 5000+ look/smell the exact same but they do fall into many different categories, too many to begin to define here but regardless, there are many different sorts that are possible. Where those differences, similarities cross on the given day/week that SWA runs their sort, well that is what determines when you get the call.

Think of it like a menu on a restaurant. Everything on the menu is great but you can only order so much, one from Column A, 1 from Columnn B...well you get it. It doesn't mean the other things on the menu aren't good, its just you can eat it all on that day. Of course you'll be back to pick again & on that day you may have different interest, priorities, preferences....well, so does SWA.

They pride themselves on having a diverse group of folks from all the different columns when it comes time to interview....it makes the pluses & minuses of each person more prevalent & allows the interviewers to get a broad perspective of what great pilots there are out there in all the different "food groups" (no more food analogies I promise).

As the folks on the menu, you just have to wait your turn, be patient & be ready. Yes it is frustrating when folks who have just applied come on board for an interview but trust me there are many more folks that aren't on this board (probably 140+ folks per month or more starting in Jan) that will be getting called. Don't let 1 or 2 folks who post on here make you believe you're not a player & that you're getting nailed by SWA.

These are very different times than any others....national & regional carriers are nearly all hiring, very few majors....lots of great folks out there who make the competition very intense. Don't let one's frustration cause you to give up hope or preparation for the time when you can come to SWA. I wish I could say with 100% certainty that you or anyone who is interested will get the call sometime next year. The odds are in your favor but that doesn't mean it will come but with the number of folks who do meet the criteria (with a type I would include even though you don't need one to apply) for getting a call for an interview increasing it will take some time. If bitterness, frustration overwhelms you, then time to press on with life & choose somewhere else to focus on...life is too short...gotta go...my wife is having those feelings toward me right now as I'm late for an engagement Cheers

Latest resources

Back