• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FlyBoeingJets said:
I disagree.

Brother, I believe Tejas was being sarcastic. I laughed.:laugh:

Resume Writer said:
Well, I worked as a Customer Service Agent for SWA for about eight months before Katelyn, my daughter, was born. I know there is a special notation in the reservation and on the boarding pass. As for the FAs, they "might" get a passenger list from the gate agents (I cannot remember what we did at the gates since it was over three years ago), or perhaps they get a special report when they check in for their trip. I cannot really speak to that because I was not an FA for them.

Someone else know?

I was a F/A with SWA for 11 years and the only way I was ever "notified" of anything about a pax was word of mouth from the ops agent or gate agent. Passenger lists or other reports or non-existent. I never saw this happen for recruits, it was usually reserved for celebs, ex-presidents or the drunk that was denied boarding on the previous flight and had sobered up sufficiently to fly. The only way I knew of a new hire or interviewee on the plane was the big s--t eating grin on their face and their eagerness to talk to me about SWA.

Resume Writer said:
Well, I worked as a Customer Service Agent for SWA for about eight months before Katelyn, my daughter, was born. I know there is a special notation in the reservation and on the boarding pass. As for the FAs, they "might" get a passenger list from the gate agents (I cannot remember what we did at the gates since it was over three years ago), or perhaps they get a special report when they check in for their trip. I cannot really speak to that because I was not an FA for them.

Someone else know?

Kathy I can't answer specifically about FA notification, but I do know that my buddys in SWA tell me that you'd better be on your interview behavior from the moment you leave your house, and stay in interview mode until you get back to that house. I've even been told that it would be a good plan to not engage in any conversation other than polite intros, etc, because you don't want to even take the chance of being part of someone ELSE's negative conversation.

Maybe this has been my problem:D. I live so close to DAL, that I've never taken the free flight to the interview. Maybe I should take it next time so that I can get a recommend from the agents, etc. I'll drive to Austin, and fly to DAL.

enigma

Southwest turns down about 75% of the pilots they interview anyway. It's the same shi.t that UAL pulled in the late 90s when they thought they were the big man on campus. It's all supply and demand.

seahorse said:
Southwest turns down about 75% of the pilots they interview anyway. It's the same shi.t that UAL pulled in the late 90s when they thought they were the big man on campus. It's all supply and demand.

Our hiring percentage has always been low Furthermore, our interview is not hostile and we hire diverse people with diverse backgrounds. The comparison just doesn't cut it.

seahorse said:

I would have to disagree. I think they have always been that way. I mean, they are hiring more in the next couple of years than they ever have so shouldnt the percentage of hiring be up? But its not, because they appear to keep integrity with the hiring process. Its obvious the demand is way up, but they are still really picky...

It's been said before. They are protective of who they let into the family. Seems to be working to me. Hoping I can join the Team soon.

Resume Writer said:
Hi Everyone,

I was reading my Business 2.0 magazine and found this excerpt on the Southwest Airlines interviewing process. This supports the thoughts I provide to everyone of my interview prep clients - be on your best behavior from beginning to end - from the minute you step on the airport grounds in your departing city, to the time spent at the hotel during happy hour, to the "down-time" between interviews, to lunch conversation, till the time you leave the airport grounds in your home city. With SWA, it starts even before you interview - read on...

The Job Audition
Turn the interview process into an all-encompassing tryout.

You don't just get interviewed when you apply for a job at Southwest Airlines. You get auditioned--and it starts the moment you call for an application.

Given that ultrafriendly service is critical to the $7.6 billion carrier's success, it's little wonder that HR managers don't wait until the interview to start screening. When a candidate calls for an application, managers jot down anything memorable about the conversation, good or bad. The same is true when the company flies recruits out for interviews. They receive special tickets, which alert gate agents, flight attendants, and others to pay special attention: Are they friendly to others or griping about service and slurping cocktails at 8 a.m.? If what the employees observe seems promising--or not--they're likely to pass it on to HR.

Even when recruits aren't on the spot, they're on the spot. During group interviews of flight attendants, applicants take turns giving three-minute speeches about themselves in front of as many as 50 others. The catch? Managers are watching the audience as closely as the speaker. Candidates who pay attention pass the test; those who seem bored or distracted get bounced.

"We want to see how they interact with people when they think they're not being evaluated," says Southwest recruiter Michael Burkhardt.

The screening method not only keeps turnover low (about 5.5 percent annually) but keeps customers happy. Every year since 1987, the carrier has received the lowest number of passenger complaints in the industry. -- M.V.C.

Kathy,

I would venture to say that the "interview" really starts the moment you contact a company to enquire about getting a 737 type, provided you don't already have a 737 type rating or you interview before you get your type rating, and continues the entire time you are at that company getting your type.

This is a close-nit community and I'm sure the PD folks know all the people at the various type schools and I'll bet a first year FO trip that they talk.

:DGo Around I'm with you! I hope to see you on the 10th! I want out of the Circus that we are in at this time, RIGHT!!! See you there meng.

F16TJ said:
Kathy,

I would venture to say that the "interview" really starts the moment you contact a company to enquire about getting a 737 type, provided you don't already have a 737 type rating or you interview before you get your type rating, and continues the entire time you are at that company getting your type.

This is a close-nit community and I'm sure the PD folks know all the people at the various type schools and I'll bet a first year FO trip that they talk.

I would say that is definitely true for Higher Power - but I can see how it would be true for the other type schools. Yes, aviation is a very tight-knit community. I have seen people make enemies early in their career and have it come back to haunt them.

Latest resources

Back