• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Interview an "Audition"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There were times when other carriers were hiring the numbers were much smaller than they are now, 1 in 10 or 2 in 10....it is what it is...to bemoan it is to want an explanation that isn't available from anyone who would say....just speculators like us all.

pipejockey said:
Not to be a wiseguy, but I seriously doubt your statement is true. Back in the late 90s and 2000 when all the career airlines were hiring like mad, I would venture to guess less than 10% of pilots considered SWA their #1 choice. To the other 90%, SWA was the booby prize. Now everyone is going gaga over them like little school girls. SWA management has to know most guys even today would not be interested in them if all the legacies were hiring and the contracts of old were in place. In other words they're all a bunch of fakes. It doesn't matter to me anyway. I won't be sending SWA a resume ever anyway. I don't hide my true feelings to get ahead in life like others. They would see through me as if I were a piece of glass.
I hate to bust your bubble but I interviewed and got hired in 1994. At that time we were hiring about 1 out of every 12 that interviewed. We even hired guys from other airlines, 1 of the guys in my new hire class had come over from UPS.

pipejockey said:
Not to be a wiseguy, but I seriously doubt your statement is true. I won't be sending SWA a resume ever anyway. I don't hide my true feelings to get ahead in life like others. They would see through me as if I were a piece of glass.

Pipe I think you are leaving the true reason out and maybe you should be telling these guys on FI.C

Last edited:
Capt1124 said:
What's this I hear about friendly service at Southwest? I've never experienced any friendly service at Southwest. People fly Southwest because they can't afford anything better.

So since you never experienced any friendly service at Southwest, does that mean you flew Southwest because YOU couldn't afford anything better? You need to find a better paying gig.

Sorry guys, I left this thread but tanker and slaquer have drawn me back in, blame them.

tanker, ok I'll believe you about the 1 out of 12, But It was probably due to the fact that those 11 who didn't make it had interviewed with every other major airline in the country, but didn't get hired. And by the time they got to SWA they were so depressed that they could not hide their true feelings, much like I wouldn't be able to.

Which brings me to slaquer.
What do you mean I am leaving out the true reason??

pipejockey said:
Not to be a wiseguy, but I seriously doubt your statement is true. Back in the late 90s and 2000 when all the career airlines were hiring like mad, I would venture to guess less than 10% of pilots considered SWA their #1 choice. To the other 90%, SWA was the booby prize. Now everyone is going gaga over them like little school girls. SWA management has to know most guys even today would not be interested in them if all the legacies were hiring and the contracts of old were in place. In other words they're all a bunch of fakes. It doesn't matter to me anyway. I won't be sending SWA a resume ever anyway. I don't hide my true feelings to get ahead in life like others. They would see through me as if I were a piece of glass.

You are probably closer to the truth on this one, remember it was around the 1999-2000 hiring boom that SWA dropped the type requirement for the interview. The probability that they were not interviewing the best and brightest was not lost on them!

TheDogsBollocks said:
...remember it was around the 1999-2000 hiring boom that SWA dropped the type requirement for the interview.

It's dropped now also, so where is your logic on that one? I also find it interesting that the two biggest jackheads on this thread BOTH have flown the Metroliner. Anyone who has flown it care to chime in what it does to your thought process. :confused:

canyonblue said:
It's dropped now also, so where is your logic on that one? I also find it interesting that the two biggest jackheads on this thread BOTH have flown the Metroliner. Anyone who has flown it care to chime in what it does to your thought process. :confused:

Hey Dips**t,

My point was to simply point out that SWA has changed their hiring requirements to fit the market conditions at the time, SWA in the past was considered "second tier" (not my opinion however). You are indeed correct SWA dropped the type around the last hiring boom, because of the most attractive salaries and working conditions of the legacy carriers at that time.

SWA, the only carrier requiring a type for interview must have realized if it were to hire the most suitable candidates, especially during the last boom it would have to cast a "wider net' to get people in the door, thus dropping the type.

Furthermore, there was a brief period post 9/11 that the "type for interview" was reintroduced, then subsequently recinded, also now with SWA being the "top dog" in the industry with more than enough qualified candidates seeking employment, the turbine PIC requirement has also been increased.

In regards to my Metro experience, it has had no ill effect on my demeanor whatsoever, regretfully your experience at SWA has turned you into a conceited pig!

Last edited:
GO AROUND said:
It's been said before. They are protective of who they let into the family. Seems to be working to me. Hoping I can join the Team soon.

A SWA thread.....I just couldn't help myself.

Um, there are plenty of toolboxes there from what I have heard from my friends. I don't think any airline has it down that perfectly.

Latest resources

Back