• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Hiring...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A good pal of mine, 7 year SWA FO went to recurrent a while back and said another guy in class had already put his notice in and was off to DL.

Off to an airline not hiring.

Who makes up this crap.....

More importantly, what morons buys into this crap......

SWA will start charging some sort of bag fee when Amedeus comes online. The writing has been on the wall for months (no mention of bags flying free on any ad).

SWA will start charging some sort of bag fee when Amedeus comes online. The writing has been on the wall for months (no mention of bags flying free on any ad).

Except for the big ass "Free Bags Fly Here" sticker on the sides of some of our airplanes.

I'm a late 07 hire at UAL (b756). I'll make about 140k this year. I'll also get an extra 16% thrown in to my B-fund at no cost to me...your numbers are a bit off.

Also, for pilots starting out now the upgrade is a factor as well. If the legacy upgrade is at 12 years and SW is at 20 the extra years in the left seat is worth a lot of money. SW pays FO's very well but the years of SW FO's making more than legacy CA's is quickly approaching it's end with this latest contract cycle. Legacy FO pay has also risen although SW is still better in most cases.

I don't think that many SW/AT FO's will choose to start over but there will be some younger ones who will do it. The big question a few years from now will be if the next generation of new, younger pilots will choose to go to (or stay at) SW if there is significant movement and hiring at the legacy carriers. The advantages that SW had for new-hires when the industry was in the toilet and they were the only game in town are not as pronounced now. The fact that career progression at SW today is very different from what it was back in the days of rapid growth will be a factor when new pilots are looking for career positions. How many years does a new pilot want to work weekends and holidays, be on reserve, be at the most junior base, wait for upgrade, etc? Junior pilots working at a company with slow movement do these things....even at SW.

One thing in favor of SW though as somebody else pointed out is that SW weathers downturns far better than most carriers. In this industry the one thing you can always bet on is that there will be another downturn.....there always is.

In any case, the fact the industry seems to be profitable and there is movement and hiring that seems to be accelerating is good for all of us. The last decade has been pretty rough for this industry.

The pilot shortage, if it pans out, will help everybody at every airline! DL needs to get back out in front of the CBA pack...SWA has kept the mark and now that DL is profitable, they need to take over as industry leaders in compensation.

And those have been disappearing of late. Look at the ads in the jetways and any other print/tv ad. Not a single mention of bags flying free.

Zippy is right. I think the aircraft stickers are down to less than a handful out of around 500 aircraft.

The marketing campaign will focus on Customer Service instead of bag fees.

Bubba,

Sounds like ghetto is actually worried about his job. Maybe he is junior and he might be one of those guys who considers moving over to one of the big three legacies some day? Easy on him, and I think he may be an original Corndog and not a FAT pilot. Think how many of them may be thinking the same? You just never know....

Bye Bye---General Lee

I know he's an "original Corndog" junior FO, and not a FAT pilot. He's not talking about leaving for greener pastures; all he talks about is "impending Southwest furloughs," using nonsensical data that only he's smart enough to decipher. It's probably good for you that he's not over at Delta- he'd be the same depressed, gloomy Gus over there, talking about your "impending furloughs." Hell, your recent news about cutting back in Memphis, leaves of absence, etc. is so "dire," that it probably would have driven him over the edge.

Bubba

I know he's an "original Corndog" junior FO, and not a FAT pilot. He's not talking about leaving for greener pastures; all he talks about is "impending Southwest furloughs," using nonsensical data that only he's smart enough to decipher. It's probably good for you that he's not over at Delta- he'd be the same depressed, gloomy Gus over there, talking about your "impending furloughs." Hell, your recent news about cutting back in Memphis, leaves of absence, etc. is so "dire," that it probably would have driven him over the edge.

Bubba

He's the perfect guy to man the Furlough Hotline (or is it the Suicide Hotline), no matter where he works.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back