Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SWA/FO

5 Star Senior Member
We are coming to Denver!!! That should make a bunch of MDW guys happy!
Plus we made 227 Million P R O F I T !!!!!!!

Southwest Airlines has added a news release to its Investor Relations website.
Title: Southwest Airlines to Serve Denver International Airport
Date: 10/20/2005 6:50:00 AM
For a complete listing of our news releases, please click here

DALLAS, Oct. 20 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV),the nation's low-fare leader, announced today it will initiate service fromDenver International Airport beginning in early 2006. The airline willannounce specifics of its flight schedule and fares via a news conference inDenver next week. "Southwest has experienced strong Customer demand to serve an obvious gapin our route network, and this service will return Southwest's legendary lowfares to Colorado," said Gary Kelly, Southwest's Chief Executive Officer."Denver's growing community is one we have studied and intended to serve, forquite some time, and we look forward to also serving the people of the entireState of Colorado." Southwest's announcement today is a testament to the positive changes thathave occurred as a result of the construction and cost conscious operation ofDenver International Airport. Southwest served the Denver market between 1983and 1986 from Stapleton International Airport. Since then, the Denver airportsystem has established a strong infrastructure, with six runways, andsubstantially reduced its rates on a cost per passenger basis, creating aneconomically attractive environment for Southwest Airlines. Additionally,Denver International Airport was ranked number one for ontime arrivals in2004, making the airport a great fit for Southwest's quick aircraft turntimes. "Over time, Denver International has dramatically reduced its costs,increased its efficiency, and demonstrated that Denver can be a viableopportunity for Southwest Airlines," Kelly said. "This year a leading travelpublication named Denver as the 'Best Airport in North America.'" Southwest Airlines was able to accelerate the start-up of this planned newcity due to aircraft availability created by Hurricane Katrina-relatedschedule changes and the resumption of new aircraft deliveries from The BoeingCo. subsequent to the cessation of a Boeing work stoppage. Historically, when Southwest enters a new city, fares drop substantiallyand demand for travel greatly increases. The U.S. Department of Transportation(DOT) in a 1993 study described the phenomenon as the "Southwest Effect."Statistics from one of Southwest's newest cities, Philadelphia, provide aperfect example: * Since Southwest Airlines entered the Philadelphia market in May 2004, total Philadelphia traffic has increased nearly 30 percent. * In the third quarter of 2004, the average one-way fare between Philadelphia and Chicago Midway Airport fell 46 percent, while traffic increased by 137 percent. In addition, the average one-way fare between Philadelphia and Chicago O'Hare (an airport that Southwest Airlines does not serve) fell 44 percent, while traffic increased by 28 percent, showing that Southwest Airlines' arrival in new markets benefits even sister airports and other airlines. Southwest has reported 32 consecutive years of profitability and jobsecurity for its Employees, and earlier this year celebrated its 34th year inbusiness. Based in Dallas, Southwest operates a fleet of 439 Boeing 737s withan average age of nine years-among the youngest pure jet fleets in thedomestic airline industry. Southwest Airlines, the nation's largest carrier interms of domestic passengers enplaned, currently serves 61 airports in 31states. Based in Dallas, Southwest currently operates more than 2,900 flightsa day and has 31,000+ Employees systemwide.

Last edited:
It's about time!

Didn't they have some plans to fly to COS a few years ago?

Well, look at that

Firstly, you all (and I) are up WAAAY too early. Secondly, I guess there goes the "we'll never go back to Denver cuz of burnt bridges" argument I've been hearing for the last year and a half.

Peace,
DP

I guess, you can build new bridges. I guess that puts "when are you going into COS" to rest.

Commuters?

Any guesses on how many guys/gals who work for SWA commute out of DEN currently?

I'm swimming in the pool, but will plan to commute out of DEN.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

This is Great news!

Will this make life tough for Frontier? Or can they both survive the fare wars?
Could be ugly for F9 pilots in the future.

ATA sop's state you cant push back from DFW or DEN without at least 6 SWA jumpseaters on board. RV your going to need a new screen name soon.

GD

Latest resources

Back