SWA going to Denver!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
capt. megadeth said:
Halin....I wish all of you the best of luck but c'mon......didn't you see that one coming?

Perception vs. rhetoric.

I was always suspicious, but you go with what they say until proven otherwise. I've heard many a SWA pilot, to my face, tell me they (SWA) want us to survive.

Rape and pillage is my future. I guess former TX Gov. Bill Clements said it best. "If you know you're going to be raped, you might as well roll over and take it.

capt. megadeth said:
I am sure they will go wherever ATA was profitable.

Or tested the waters with some success.

We started DEN - PHX with a 247 passenger B757-300. Loads were better than 70% the first week with nearly all of them codeshare passengers.

HalinTexas said:
I guess former TX Gov. Bill Clements said it best. "If you know you're going to be raped, you might as well roll over and take it.

Hal,

Wasn't it Clayton Williams that made that comment. He tried to become the Governor of Texas....but comments like that one during the campaign, kept him out of office.

Tejas

Points to Ponder for 737lj, ATA, & Frontier Folks, then a History Lesson

737lj,
Look forward to you joining us SWA pilots who choose to live in God's Country and commute to work...most of us go to MDW or PHX. I don't have a firm number for you on how many of us commute out of Denver, but I've been told by a SWA Captain who lives in Denver that we have about 80 pilots here in Colorado. I personally have only met ~15. Most of us live in the Springs, Castlerock, or Denver Area...but we have a die hard that lives in Durango and one that lives in Fairplay--truly committed to the Colorado lifestyle :nuts: . You can commute to PHX out of the COS, but if you live on the North side at all DIA is just as easy and has 20+ flights a day to PHX. As a new guy/gal, you'll probably want to domicile out of MDW for better seniority. There are 11-12 flights a day DEN direct MDW, so it's an easy commute. ATA and TED are on CASS so you can ride in the jumpseat if needed. Frontier isn't up on CASS yet, but we have unlimited jumpseats with them and they're great to us as we are to them.

ATA & Frontier Brothers and Sisters,
As a commuter, I can honestly say that I've been absolutely impressed with your professionalism and hospitality and truly hope that SWA entering the DEN market doesn't change the camaraderie among the brotherhood of class-act pilots that we've shared. I do believe that the "Southwest Effect" will end up benefiting all of our airlines as well as the State of Colorado and every human being who has the opportunity to visit this great land now.

ATA folks specifically. A few comments above sounded like you were led on and now feel used. I understand where you're coming from and am sorry you feel that way. I luv your company and truly do hope you survive. I'm still optimistic that at the end of the day there will be a successful model that may look like a bunch of SWA flights feeding folks into your overseas routes where you're packing the flights, able to charge a reasonable fare, and giving them the great ATA service I've seen on every one of my flights with you. If what I've heard is true that 50% of your passengers from DEN have been connecting onto SWA flights, then maybe the domestic short haul isn't your niche...it's ours. But you can fill the niche on longer haul and overseas markets. We can still work together and the codeshare agreement helps us both. I hope I'm right...I respect all the hard working folks at your company...and pray that management is on board for you, the company, and the shareholder.

Why did SWA pick DEN over COS?
SWA strongly considered coming to the Springs, but the analysis showed that it is actually overserved without being able to pull from the Denver market. Without an efficient transportation route to pull from the Denver market (Powers has turned into a mini, stop and go-Academy and COS needs more parking) and if Frontier and TED dropped their prices $5 below ours in the Springs, we wouldn't be able to pull from even the South Denver Market to be able to have the frequency and loads that we need to be profitable. DIA used to be expensive to operate out of...but they haven't raised their prices in years and are now reasonable. They are the most modern large airport built and can handle the most volume per hour of any major airport in the country. They had the best on-time performance in 2004. PHL has taught us that if the population density and market demand will pack our planes full, then we can accept some ineffieciencies to our model and therefore we will not shy away from some of the large markets that are right for us. PHL has been so successful that it's been rumored we are going to expand up to 27 gates. There is no comparison to going to DIA vs. DFW...that's all propaganda. Lowcur, I can have my 2nd grader explain it to you if necessary.

Quick History Lesson. We (SWA) were renting gates from Ozark back in 1986 at Denver Stapleton. Some gates became available and we went to rent them. Then Mayor Pena (you now take Pena boulevard to get to DIA) told Herb the price. Herb said, "Wait a minute, that's more than double what we were subleasing them from Ozark and what every other carrier at Stapleton is paying for their gates." Pena said, "I know, but that is what they cost for you today and you will pay the full price that the market will bear today or you won't get the gates." Herb explained how we were a LCC and couldn't bring DEN the great fares that we had been under that cost structure, etc. Pena (who some have conjectured was in bed with UAL at the time) played hard ball telling Herb that was the way it was going to be. Herb told him fine, and even stated on the News that we're pulling out of Colorado and it'll be a Cold, Cold day in Colorado before we ever come back. Well I can attest to the fact that I got 8 inches of snow at my house in Colorado Springs last week...and it was a Cold, Cold Day in Colorado. And again, Herb stayed true to his word--because we're coming BACK BABY!!

See you on the Slopes. All good things come to those who wait:beer: ,

Speed

P.S. All the factual information listed above came from good sources...but was second hand. If any of the members on the forum have first hand experience and want to clarify the record--please feel free to do so. Like Morpheus, I'm only trying to offer the truth.

I do believe that the "Southwest Effect" will end up benefiting all of our airlines as well as the State of Colorado and every human being who has the opportunity to visit this great land now.

LOL, how benevolent of you.....like you couldn't visit before? Puhleeze.

Standing by for the Southwest effect.

I understand SWA plans on re-opening Stapleton Airport...it would be easier to compete...

Do I smell some old bitter people over here?

Welcome in Denver SWA!

So how many crews are moving to DEN?

The move to Denver is nothing more than an attempt to put FRNT out of business. It wouldn't surprise me if there is collusion where UAL will lease some gates to SWA (as there aren't two gates together for use), in exchange for limited focus on UAL routes out of DIA. I know FRNT has been after DIA for years to have UAL turn over limited and seldom used gates back to the airport authority for reassignment.

lowecur said:
The move to Denver is nothing more than an attempt to put FRNT out of business. It wouldn't surprise me if there is collusion where UAL will lease some gates to SWA (as there aren't two gates together for use), in exchange for limited focus on UAL routes out of DIA. I know FRNT has been after DIA for years to have UAL turn over limited and seldom used gates back to the airport authority for reassignment.

WRONG!...Please try again

Tejas-Jet said:
Hal,

Wasn't it Clayton Williams that made that comment. He tried to become the Governor of Texas....but comments like that one during the campaign, kept him out of office.

Tejas

You are correct.

But the quote was priceless.

Latest resources

Back