• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA going to Denver!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Very contrary, this is the nudge (bull-dozing shove) that will send TED into the abyss of memorable names like MarkAir.

I agree 100%. DEN is United's only hub, and United has never competed against SWA before. If only UAL wasn't so concentrated in DEN, they may have a chance (need some Asian market share). I expect TED to be dismantled within 15 minutes of the first SWA jet flying in.

As for F9, this is really good news. We welcome the increase passenger flow that SWA brings to every airport they serve.

On a serious note, I hope you are right. F9 stock went down $3.08 in heavy trading on Thursday - let's hope the sellers have it wrong.

skykid said:
I agree 100%. DEN is United's only hub, and United has never competed against SWA before. If only UAL wasn't so concentrated in DEN, they may have a chance (need some Asian market share). I expect TED to be dismantled within 15 minutes of the first SWA jet flying in.

Okay hang on here while I catch my breath.

Allright, that's better.

Do you mean to tell me that you think UAL has only one hub? Hello? Been to ORD lately?

I think you mean that DEN is UAL's only Ted hub. Not too clear, skykid.

Cheers,
SCR

jball2 said:
What people fail to realize is we do not want to get stuck taxiing behind American at DFW any more than we have to. I know this is going to start a war over how we taxi but if you ever get stuck behind an AA jet, you'll know what I mean.

I saw an American plane really moving yesterday, moving like a glacier.:puke:

Do you mean to tell me that you think UAL has only one hub? Hello? Been to ORD lately?

Oh, that's what I was doing in that crash pad off the Blue Line for 3 years! More sarcasm for you - you didn't get it the first time. And no, DEN isn't TED's only hub either, if you want to call them hubs.

jball2 said:
What people fail to realize is we do not want to get stuck taxiing behind American at DFW any more than we have to. I know this is going to start a war over how we taxi but if you ever get stuck behind an AA jet, you'll know what I mean.

I'll give you that one. I think AA pilots taxi slower than anyone in the industry.

lowecur said:
The move to Denver is nothing more than an attempt to put FRNT out of business.

More crap from the bogus Lowecur.:laugh: What happened to Usairways? I thought we went to PHL to put them out of business.

Lowecur circa 09-29-2004

PHL has requested that UAIR turn over 2 gates in terminal D to them for lack of use. LUV will probably be the recipient of this good fortune in what could be the beginning of the reduction of hub traffic through PHL, as UAIR will have to focus on more point to point with a fleet of only 125-150 a/c.

From the PHL Website:

Philadelphia -
Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) marked yet another milestone in passenger traffic by processing a record 31,074,454 air travelers in the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2004 and ending June 30, 2005. The new record smashed the previous all-time high of 26,190,976 in FY 2004. Since FY 2003, PHL's passenger volume has soared a staggering 28% from 24,232,804.

In addition to total passengers, the Airport welcomed 4,123,022 international travelers, up 6.4% from the previous high of 3,873,337 in FY 2004. Since 1994, when only a handful of nonstop international flights were offered at PHL, the Airport's non-domestic passenger traffic has increased by 245%

Last edited:
"On a serious note, I hope you are right. F9 stock went down $3.08 in heavy trading on Thursday - let's hope the sellers have it wrong."

Hi Skykid: I think this whole thing is overblown, and so does JPM who just upgraded FRNT this morning. Its up 10% + this morning!

Hi Skykid: I think this whole thing is overblown, and so does JPM who just upgraded FRNT this morning. Its up 10% + this morning!

I agree. And see, you are a gentleman, you could have posted about how at least F9 stock is actually worth something.

The move to Denver is nothing more than an attempt to put FRNT out of business. It wouldn't surprise me if there is collusion where UAL will lease some gates to SWA (as there aren't two gates together for use), in exchange for limited focus on UAL routes out of DIA.

Right, SWA and carriers like United have worked hand in hand since 1971, esp when all bent over backwards to help SWA get started. Spot on analysis.

I hope SWA flies from DEN to TN to give me more jumpseating options. Any word on the service from DEN?

Don't Worry. Be Happy Lowecur!

lowecur said:
The move to Denver is nothing more than an attempt to put FRNT out of business. It wouldn't surprise me if there is collusion where UAL will lease some gates to SWA (as there aren't two gates together for use), in exchange for limited focus on UAL routes out of DIA. I know FRNT has been after DIA for years to have UAL turn over limited and seldom used gates back to the airport authority for reassignment.
:laugh:
Excerpt from a letter to employees that F9 CEO Jeff Potter released yesterday. It was printed in The Denver Post yesterday.

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_3136259

"...That being said, from a management standpoint, we too have been preparing ourselves for Southwest's entry, and I think it is important to note that not everything you have heard about Southwest is necessarily true. It's worth mentioning that we already compete with Southwest on about 75-80% of all F9 connecting markets (about 500 city pairs) and are competitive with them in pricing. While there is certainly no arguing their success, it may surprise you to know that based on the most recent DOT statistics (June quarter 2005), Southwest's fares were actually about 12 percent higher than Frontier's on a per-mile basis, in markets where we compete directly. Obviously, pricing power is one of Southwest's primary competitive advantages in the markets it enters, but that won't necessarily be the case here in Denver. In other words, we have been competing quite effectively for a long time...."

Latest resources

Back