• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Gets More Cautious For '08

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ETOPS requires another power source besides the 2 engine driven generators. Not sure what an HMG is either, but I'm going to guess that it is an Hydro-mechanical generator based on a quick google search.

Actually, we had alot to do with it.
whalepilot747

We being who? SWA? Are you saying we sent our boys around with baseball bats and told AWA "hey, youz guyz better not be buying ATA, youz heerz meez?"

SWA could put in a better offer, I doubt if we have the pull to tell banks who and who not to finance. We're not the man behind the curtain.

If you contend otherwise, please find some analyst comments from the time frame to back up your contention or some other way to put some evidence behind this 'fact.' thanks.

good news on the 737 replacement frong

Boeing: Expect a 737 replacement plan by 2012

Boeing will settle on a replacement plan for its 737 jet by 2012, a company spokesman told The Associated Press last week. AP says the company first "seriously" began considering a replacement last year for the jet, which has accounted for more than 6,000 sales since the model debuted in 1967. Boeing spokeswoman Sandy Anger said the U.S. jetmaker "must ensure it has the right set of breakthrough technologies in engines, aerodynamics, materials and other systems" to better the 737's efficiency before it unveils plans for a new model. When could such a jet be flying? Anger said Boeing hopes that could be "sometime in the middle of the next decade — give or take a couple of years.
http://blogs.usatoday.com/sky/

Maybe we will get a 737 replacement someday.

Sit, back, relax & enjoy the ride... Remember, who has never furloughed...ever...

Agree with the first part- who knows on the 2nd. I believe that same line was used at Delta for years. "We've never furloughed" --- Until we had to.
Eyes wide open is the only advice.

whalepilot747

We being who? SWA? Are you saying we sent our boys around with baseball bats and told AWA "hey, youz guyz better not be buying ATA, youz heerz meez?"

SWA could put in a better offer, I doubt if we have the pull to tell banks who and who not to finance. We're not the man behind the curtain.

If you contend otherwise, please find some analyst comments from the time frame to back up your contention or some other way to put some evidence behind this 'fact.' thanks.

Ok, Kernel..... It was no real secret when I worked there (ATA) at the time that SWA had a large hand in it. BTW, you are correct about the HMG. Maybe you can google what it takes to be a full up ETOP's carrier.....then maybe you will realize we are NOwhere close to becoming one. ATA's codeshare is not a big deal, we basically are getting free money for flying which we are unable to do. I am much more concerned about RJ's showing up. Now that's a problem.....

Cheers....

I'm not concerned about RJ's showing up...I am concerned about us sanctioning RJ's to serve our markets without our pilots in them. If 100 EMB-190's showed up today for SWA pilots to fly throughout our system, I would be overjoyed...almost as happy as if 100 787's showed up. If I heard we outsourced that flying out to someone else, I would be PO'ed

Ok, Kernel..... ATA's codeshare is not a big deal, we basically are getting free money for flying which we are unable to do. I am much more concerned about RJ's showing up. Now that's a problem....

Kernal? what's up with the name calling. All I asked was for you to provide some kind of source for your assertion (besides what you heard on the line since we both know how accurate the 'common wisdom' out on the line turns out to be sometimes) Besides, I thought kernals were kompany men, and all the kompany men are all for the kodeshare and anything else the GO shovels our way; like the new internal customer service initiatives, e.g. no more preboarding for you if you are #3 to signup for the jumpseat (is that PPRUNEy enough for ya?)

I agree about RJ's since they would be a fundamental change to our model but so is feeding someone else international.

I disagree that the ATA codeshare is 'no big deal' since it is 'free money' for 'flying we can't do oursevles.' some of the codeshare we could do ourselves, some of it maybe neither of us should be doing, and all of it provides income to SWA not coming from SWA flight crews, which is bad juju in the long run.

and all of it provides income to SWA not coming from SWA flight crews, which is bad juju in the long run.
SWA is one of the best if not the best story in running a profitable airline that is why you have had growth and stability all of these years. I bet concern over how long it will take a copilot to upgrade to captain has little to do with the business decisions SWA management has made over the years or in the years to come.

Better embrace a little juju juice with a lime in it......

I will embrace just about any idea SWA has except for the idea of outsourcing flying to someone else. I get the idea of testing the int'l waters, but we can do that flying too...it aint rocket surgery

I will embrace just about any idea SWA has except for the idea of outsourcing flying to someone else. I get the idea of testing the int'l waters, but we can do that flying too...it aint rocket surgery

you're right, it's not rocket surgery. all you have to do in a 737 is stop in Nova Scotia and Iceland.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back